Good places to get vinyl in NYC??

D

dj funkifize

well,
where are there good places to get vinyl in the city? (New York City).
Preferably Manhattan or the Village.
-Mike S

Lucky You I know them all
1.Techno Trance-Throb 14th st btn 3rd ave and 2nd ave
2.House-Eight Ball records on 9th st off of Cooper Square near Astor Place.
3.Hard to Get house-Vinyl Mania on Carmine st off of Varick st.
4.Cheap Vinyl -Rock and Soul on 7th ave btn 35 and 36 st in the back of the store.
Need More?Let me know I know them all.If you go to Throb ask for Carter and let him help you he knows his stuff.

people from NY City:

Who: Richie Hawtin
What: Relief
When: May 11, 2001.
Where: Twilo New York, USA
Info: w/ John Acquaviva

Richie @ Twilo :D:D I don't live there, but I'd go if i were you. I live in his hometown and he's hard enough to see here :D

Twilo has been closed down.Illegal occupancy permits closed down 5/5/01.Re-opening pending court hearing.Another one bites the dust here.But good news the current Mayor is gone after 12/31/01.Ever since Guiliani has been in office NYC is not the place to be for clubs.Anyway to be honest if Im not spinning I really dont like to go hear other people unless Im on the card also..

Well that sounds sad and it sounds like you're missing a lot of opportunities to see world class dj's.

P.S. Shame on the government. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I listen to their sets when they are given to me.I like that Sandra Collins Girl she's smooth and Oakenfold he really very smooth.I think I have something by Hawtin when he played in Michigan

BBL
What kind of cheap vinyl can you get at rock and soul
prices genre
also do you know where to get Hip Hop and funk records 45's
Thank's
PeAcE

Well Rock n Soul is pretty cheap compared to the other stores and yes they carry Hip Hop.Also Eight Ball records has Hip Hop albums on vinyl also they have a nice collection of classic hip hop also...

Hey BF what kind of funk you looking for?And also didnt we speak once about my Hip Hop classics that I have?

Satellite on Bowery
Kim's video on St. Marks (nice hip hop, used and new)
I'm drawing a blank on the rest of my old spots; been gone too long i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny that you should mention this but most of the "Record" stores are clumped together by area and usu type of music in New York City

All thats in () is InMyHumbleOpinion with a slight trance slant (sorry)

East Village
--------
Sattelite Records - www.satelliterecords.com - Bowery right Below Houston st. (The biggest dance record store in NYC)
--------
Throb (14th st. between 2nd and 3d ave) Carries alot of House and Techno and Progressive (sometimes has tracks that are not in re-press yet .. talk to Prozac there he's cool)
--------
Eight Ball (8-ball) Records (Record Store + Label - Located 3 blocks down from WebsterHall between 3d and 4th on 9th st) Good House good Progressive.
--------
DanceTracks - Between 1st ave and 2nd ave on 3d st.
--------
VynilMania (or maybee some other name I'm doing this from memory)
Located on Ave A. between 4th and 5th st. Right before the liquor store.
(never been inside, walls packed w. vinyl)
--------
Break Beat Science (Drum and Bass - Records Co, Promotion etc btw. Playing @ the Brooklyn PS1 on the 21, no I'm not from this store)
Located on 9th st. Between 1st and 2nd avenues.
--------
Othe Music.
Located on 4th st. Right across tower records (you can get down-tempo stuff like oribital there, no listening stations)

West Village -
4th st - Tower Records 4th and Broadway - (go here for ANTHEMS and BossaNova type stuff, if you tend to appeal to the BAR crowd etc.. also has pop/rap singles , no listening stations.. Vinyl singles run for $6 + tax)

Virgin "Mega****edupstore"
14th - Union Square (go there for old anthems vinyl singles run $6 not $10 no underground whatsoever, but sometimes they carry even like - deleted or backordered stuff there, no stations).

DecaDance (a Decade of Dance Music)
Was somewhere in Chelsea manhattan, but moved inadvertenly. (go there to get NYC style big-room/club house/dance)

BetterBeats (Don't know where it is :D) - http://yp.yahoo.com

I prob missed some, but these I remmbr offhand

OH YEAH,

Rock-n-Roll / Used / Old Anything Section

Rock-n-roll store on 2nd ave between St.Marks and 7th or is it 6th on the West side of the Ave, right next to a japanese toy-collectable store.

Kims Video - St Marks Place, sells used and new vinyl - Used sometimes goes for 50c a piece, qual not guaranteed, (New sections carry astralwerks and domestic labels mostly)

Right after Kims Video heading East on St.marks on the 2nd or 3d floor of a residential builing (they usu put out a sign) is this techno DJ store
(http://www.1200s.com (i don't know if they are still around) the dude who runs that runs a Video Game shop right next to it.)

Bleeker Bobs, west village and bleeker st. - (He will find rare / unusual /crewl vinyl for you, if you're looking from something rare or collectable or deleted he is a good source)

Oh yeah forgot one:D

Home of Trance (used to be House of Trance/Coffee shop)
operated by israli dudes who are into GOA/Psy stuff.
They carry some vinyl and clothing and like big plastic mushrooms.
They promo-ing a festival on the 20th on 141st and Grand Concource in the bronx. :eek:

Breakbeat Science has moved recently from 9th to somewhere in the Orchard/Ludlow area, can't recall exactly..
l :cheers:
ps also, if you are into Goa and willing to spend $200+ at a time, check out Purple Oz in Hoboken (they have a website too)..

Back