Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going from Belt Drives to Technics

Thanks

Talking

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi

I have been mixing for some time now, but ive still got a pair of DLP 1s (belt drives). Ive started trying to mix on technics, but im finding it really different, and my mixes are way less accurate. I think this is just because I rely on pushing/pulling the record a lot when im on my DLPs, and you have to be a lot heavier with the technics.

Has anyone else had this trouble? If so how long did it take you to get used to technics, it feels like im learning to mix again, and ive got a gig soon on some technics.

Cheers

DJ GT
    UK Hard House

Thanks
    I think everyone has that problem, I have problems going from Technics to Geminis (and vise versa)and they're pretty much the same thing. Try using pitch adjust more than pushing and pulling the record. Do minor adjustments by speeding it up or slowing it down for a split second.
    hope it helps

Thanks
    Glad im not the only one. Cheers for the help, think i need to practice a bit more.

nice one

Thanks

Unhappy scary hehe

That's scary! I am not good yet at music or mixing, but what you guys are saying means that I need to stick to a turntable model and never change it, right? Then I should buy a pair of Technics right away or.. I am wondering

Thanks
    Well, not realy. It's like driving a car, you learn to drive on a heap of **** and then you get a descent car and there are major differences but you can still drive it and you'll get used to it pretty quick. It's also true that if you can mix well on not so good decks, then in a very short time you can mix **** hot on technics or vestax (whichever suits your taste). It would be pretty pointless to go out and buy sl1200s as your first turntables.Least that's my point of view.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks Digital Dreams, I'll think about what you said.

Thanks

Wink

Indeed, generally if you persevere in the business, you'll eventually end up with Technics or Vestax TT's.

Digital Dreams is right. Learn to use crap decks first. Moving to better equipment comes later.
    If you can mix on crap equipment, you'll need a little adaption time and it'll go fine. But the other way is not so easy. If you're used to spin on the good equipment and somehow you have to do a set on crap, say hello to the problems.
    Silence is the most fragile of things. Even the faintest breath can shatter it...

Thanks

Exclamation

Really starting off turntabling with the equipment that is INDUSTRY STANDARD (like a Technics or Numark ProTT or Vestax PDX-A2S MK II)is gonna be your best bet . If you learn on one of these fine pieces of man it is always better per the incident going from belt drive to direct drive. Most of all if you get good enough to appear at a gathering larger than your living room you will see technics, better off knowing. Some say wait till you have the money get tha goods , or don't wait do it now go with what you can get.
    invest in nothing but the best for yourself
    and the music

[Edited by exabyte on 09-17-2000 at 12:02 PM]

Thanks
    so... I don't know what to do now exabyte your advice sounds good, but DJ Thy said "Learn to use crap decks first". I am not sure now.. I know all these turntables can be very different, from direct, belt, magnetic (i don't know the names)

Thanks

Cool

the point i was making was its better if you love what your doin to invest in an industry standard like the 1200 from technics most people will have them so no suprises when you use someone elses decks. An artist can be good but hes gonna need tools you have to have a speedy pitch control good brakes and ample torque without these tools you will not realize your potential. Really we are looking at 200.00 to 300.00 dollars per deck not a large sacrafice just maybe a lot of ramin noodles.

Thread Information