DENON TURNTABLES!?

got one.

ok, so I went and got a Denon DP-DJ151 from Sam Ash. I figure at worst I can return it for store credit, which I am sure I'll use. I will post a real review of it in a couple days, but here are my first impressions.

The platter out of the box is maybe half as heavy as the 1200's.

The startup is just as fast as a 12, as is the braking. This is true across the board - any variations here are nominal.

The ability for the platter to spin during skratching is slightly less than the 12's. This comparison is not that important for me, though. It did not affect my technique at all, and it was only noticeable when pressing really hard. If you have giant meat-hands, you may consider this.

Mine has a black slipmat - the one that is on the 101 in the above pictures - what's up with that? not that it matters, I use and love the ISP slipmats.

Using an Ortofon Concorde-style cartridge yields a loose fit between the cartridge and the tonearm. This is remedied by taking a rubber grommet off of a regular headshell - but this is not a problem with a 12.

The tonearm feels loose. I don't know if this is how it should be or if it is slightly defective. You know that feeling that a 12's arm gets if it's old and well-used. It's the problem that you need that eyeglasses screwdrived to fix - by tightening that tiny screw on top of the tonearm's bearing. This tonearm feels that kind of loose out of the box. You feel this if you try to wiggle the arm itself back and forth (lightly) against its normal path of motion. On a 12, this should be rock solid. On the 151, there is a little play, which makes a 'tiki-tiki' sound when jiggled. This seems problematic to me.

When hooked up to a quality system, the Denon actually produces more noise than the 12. This one really shocked me. This is true for both the Phono out and the Line out modes of this turntable. Obviously, I can't A-B the digital out, but if the other outs are this noisy, i can only assume the worst. This was a very disappointing result for me, as my original interest in this table stemmed from it being better in terms of the audio components.

The pop-up light has very little resistance to being pushed back down, and gets hotter than the 12's. This is actually a slight issue, as I have my tables 'battle-style,' or with the tonearms farthest away from me.

Then on to the more brutal tests:

During regular skratching, the table skips maybe 10% more than the 12. Basically, it does a tiny bit worse, but not that big a deal. If you have poor technique, or yeti-esque appendages, your results may vary.

During absurd skratches, or heavy platter-bashing stuff, the table performs much worse than a 12. Maybe 50% of the really fast scratches or very quick backspins, or light tapping on the record or other parts of the table (like at a party when someone bumps into the table) resuted in a skip. And here's the kicker: when this one skips, it skips like 10 grooves over! More later.

During doubling/juggling, these problems were more apparent. The record would do what it was supposed about half of the time, and jump to who knows where on the record the other half. Even more strange is that the platter speed - which is fantastic on all other points - does a terrible job of returning to its regular pitch when you push the record forward a bit. This one took me some time to figure out, because I don't do this all that much, but when doubling expecially quickly, the record will take maybe a whole rotation to return to the pitch if it is pushed in a non-exaggerated way. On a 12, it takes maybe a quarter turn, maybe less. Anyway, the difference is clearly audible on the 151 - very clearly.

Ok, so i will keep this until Friday. I will post in the next couple days a full review and my decision as to whether or not I will keep this. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me or post. If you want me to run tests, tell me, and I'll see what I can do.

If the guy from Denon could tell me whether the tonearm issue is a flaw in my deck or just a design thing, I'd appreciate it. I can be more specific if necessary.

Later all, damn this was a long post, but I am happy that my curiosity is slightly more satisfied!

-Peter

151 verdict

Thanks Cobalt60. This was a little disturbing news, however.
Hope that some of this can be explained by a slightly defective tonearm and that therefore there is a remedy to at least some of these facts. If this isn't taking a turn for the better I think that the Stanton 100 is sailing up as my number one favourite, still if it's yet at prototype stage. Hope that 'DENON' is able to explain some of the things that happened here. Keep up the good work, Cobalt60 !
Looking forward to the review :D

Stanton

When are the Stanton 100's going to be released? or are they already? Is it true that they are the same as the 80's but with improved drive?

Mangazm

Alex TC>>>>"Technics has a close-to-zero wow and flutter due to their motor/drive system, which for his turn is a patented concept - therefore no one else is able to copycat the system or its performance"

Actually, I think the patent has expired, so anyone's pretty much free to copy whatever they want as long as they make some minor adjustment to the design and use a different brand name and model name. (although I don't think Panasonic's lawyers would approve of a tt that looks exactly like a 1200 except for the dust cover hinges, and is called Techrics 120oNk2.)

Yeah, the patent on the 1200 has just expired, and as we can see by the many reviews on other TT's (I did a few myself so I'm not taking anyone's words for it :D), we're yet to experiment a performance up to the Tecnhics' levels! I don't mean to turn this into another "Technics X The Rest Of The World" thread, I've been into too many before :-)D), but I feel if we strip the gimmicks and focus on the basics, the 1200 still sets the standard for pro performance in the TT game. And the looks, well I think we can't blind ourselves, only Vestax trie something really innovative w/ their vertical table, the PDX A2S deck. But IMO even Vestax missed the wagon on their idea, as I never saw they investing too much on the marketing and promorion of it - or maybe they just believe the old adage "if u can't beat them, join them" :)

And also, "copying" is easy, no one doing this game will beat Technics in their own field, but revolutionizing and innovating is really hard - how much do u think all these companies spend on R&D? It's easier and cheaper just copy and add some gimmick to make a selling point today... unfortunatelly.

I said it before, for me the real trick would be a 1200 or PDX or Denon deck costing half of the actual price, that would revolutionize djing for sure...

Re: Say what?

Alex TC said:
Hey, give it a discount of about 50% and I agree w/ what u said about Technics! How long have u been spinning? Denon are w/out a doubt one of the most respected makers and their decks are being touted to be along Vestax and Numark in quality, but if the 1200 is any bad as u pointed then why it IS found on, say, 90% of all clubs/gigs/bars everywhere? It's a cult piece like a Wharhol picture, it's the staple of dance culture and that'll never change, time moves on and never goes back.

It's professional equipment dude, not just bedroom decks! Where will u find a better platter (Never!!!), motor and tonearm than on the MK's? And where have these others improved on Technics, for I see them copying and trying to beat the 1200 on their own field, exception made maybe to Vestax. Ok, the ASTS from Vestax is way better and a real improvement for turntablism mostly, the connectors and wiring may be better on a few others but when it comes down to REAL LIFE performance the Technix is still to be beaten.

It may not have all the features (gimmicks?) of other decks but then again those may appeal to technoweenies, not to djs who'd rather have reliable performance! That in fact MK's deliver in spades for some 30 yrs :D I'm not talking about the future, sooner than we think there'll sure have a deck to kick the 1200's a** but not yet IMO!!!

P.S.: I confess, I'm a Tecnhics evangelist for I grew up putting my coins on its realiability and being rewarded for doing so, so hey I'm not to overlook other makes/brands (I play whatever spin my vinyl at 33/45 rpm and has pitch adjusters and decent torque, I'm no elitist whatsoever!) but u bet I'm not to sell my 1200's for the latest flashy gadget stuffed deck either! :D

Peace!

[Edited by Alex TC on 02-12-2001 at 03:29 PM]

word!!!!!!!! Gadgets=Gimmicks!!!!!

Ok, I did some research after one of my Denon DPDJ151's overheated and fried. I took it to my local electronics shop. The guy is a friend of the family, doesn't even sell/deal in technics (the Florida market is already flooded w/ 1200 dealers), and I know he wouldn't lie to me or fukk me over.

It turns out that my Denon 151 was the FIFTH table in a month to be returned to one of his shops throughout central Florida.....

It has a major problem with overheating, and this fries the power supply. My serviceman also said that he changed out the power supply on my table, but it still got too hot for his tastes.

As much as I HATE admitting that I wasted money, I wasted $800 on those Denon decks. The serviceman told me to get 1200's, even though he doesn't sell them and couldn't make money off me for doing so.

Sam Ash Music Centers, (www.samash.com) is blowing out these once $400/piece decks at

$269/piece.....BRAND NEW!!!! They wouldn't do this and take this much of a loss if they didn't know that they SUCKED!!!!

Just a word of warning: another company tried to copy the 12 and failed.....

As far as the patent running out on the Techs......

Come on, nobody is going to duplicate the 1200.....or exceed it's quality, ruggedness, or reliability......EVER. They've been trying for over 20 years, and will try for years to come, but will fail as they've always failed.

Numark should stick to mixers, Denon should stick to dual cd players, Stanton should stick to cartridges, and Vestax should just GO HOME.

Stop trying to knock off the NUMBER ONE STUNNA!!!!!

Back