delay reverb for vinyl dj mixing

dubpunk66

HI All , could somebody please give me some advice as to my best option to add some delay reverb echo to my vinyl only mixing . I have no experience with effects at all , i have 2 Technics 1210s an ecler nuo 2 channel mixer- it does have send ,return, fx on rear and rokit krk g6 active monitors .I have been looking on the web ,but no clear info on just for mixing vinyl records , i mix a lot of dub techno ,reggae and dubby tracks and would like something to help with transitions between different styles of music .I have been looking at the boss de 20 space echo pedal ,which is just about in my price range £200 , would this be worth getting for what i want or can anybody suggest any better ideas , i like the idea of the boss as its all in one unit and please correct me if i am wrong but i read the effects become part of the music rather than sitting on top .Just looking for something simple to start with ,as mixing is hard enough on its own .many thanks in advance .dubpunk66

Last edited:
For best visibility/readability, please change your text color back to default settings.

Also, please explain “part of the music” vs. “sitting on top.”

As to your question, there are many ways to accomplish FX, including hardware, software, and pedal solutions. Search “DJ Tech Tools” series “How I Play” on YouTube to get some ideas on various set-ups. Also, you may enjoy “ellaskin’s” tutorials:

YouTube

”Practice and Enjoy.”

GJ

Hi, rhythmgj, how do i change text color back to default settings ,the edit button has vanished , the text when i first made the post was on a black background so through the edit button i did change a setting as it was hard to read but as i said there is no edit button now under my post .
the
part of the music” vs. “sitting on top ,when researching how to apply delay reverb , i first looked at siren boxes but read that the effects do not merge with the music but sit on top of it ,then went into a guitar shop and asked about the boss de 20 space echo pedal, and was told that the delay reverb would merge with the records i would play ,it probably is my lack of understanding but my thinking is that i though the boss pedal would be mixed into the sound of the vinyl , or does any effect added all ways sit on top ,like if a vinyl record is playing and i shout over the top off it ,as i said above I just play with a basic set up-- decks mixer speakers ,no software,i am just looking for a simple solution to add some delay and reverb to my mixing ,hope this makes some sort of sense,thanks dubpunk66

Last edited:
any advice about using a boss de 20 space echo pedal into a mixer ,will it work ? Thanks
dubpunk66

Last edited:
I think “DVS” is a virtual/digital output, so you may need to use a software/app solution rather than a hardware one; maybe someone more familiar with the protocol will comment?

GJ

No, but your mixer send and return seems to only have "DVS out," if I was looking at the correct model. If not, then just find a rack-mountable effects unit that you like and can afford, and use it in your effects loop. But you will probably need RCA > 1/4-inch adaptors (most of those units are TRS 1/4", whereas your mixer has RCA connections, I believe).

GJ

Nevermind! It looks like I was looking at the wrong model. Advice above should do it... ^^^^

GJ

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Greg , i do not have a rack to mount something like that on ,thats why i was looking at guitar pedals ,that would just sit next to my mixer ,thought someone on here might have had some insight of running a delay reverb pedal through a mixer .

That's why I left the video links for you.

Yes, a few problems. Some DJ's do use guitar pedals. But you will generally be stuck with a mono signal (if you run in mono, that's fine). You also have differing voltages/impedance mismatches (guitar signal level is not line-level). You also need adaptors. It can all be done, but it's more complicated than you think to "just plug in a pedal," if you want to do it right. If you are playing out live, and are running your own PA, or working with an engineer and a house PA, it can complicate things. A single-space rack unit (especially used) is not that expensive. But, as stated, many ways to "skin a cat." There is no simple 1-dimensional answer. You're going to have to try some things out. The easiest and ultimately best solution, IMHO, would be a designed-to-fit rackmount device, which would also give you flexibility on other effects rather than just reverb or delay. Or, if you want to go reeaallly (traditionally) dub-y, find a spring reverb.

You could go with a laptop and a plug-in (virtual), a guitar pedal, or a rackmount unit, but all have different features and accompanying accomodations necessary. Or, you could buy a new mixer that has included effects.

In any event, YMMV, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

GJ

Last edited:
hi again Greg , thanks ,yes i am going to have to try some things out , was just apprehensive ,as i have no experience using effects ,but you have provided me with some great info . To use a pedal i think i will need a di box which changes the instrument level to line level ,so much conflicting info on the web ,some say a pedal will work fine without adapter ,others say you need it , its all down to trying it out as you said .Just getting my head around it and you throw in a spring reverb , I WANT ONE ,after listening to some clips on YouTube , where does it end ,anyway thanks again for the info all the best dubpunk66.

I use a Korg mini kaoss pad 2s. I have it connected to my effect sends on my 2 channel vestax. I use it when I play vinyl or when using cds with my cdjs. Pioneer also makes effect units specifically designed for dj use rmx 500 and rmx 1000. I also considered using guitar pedals but found the mini kaoss instead. Peace be with you..............Rob Mixx

BTW— Great idea!^^^^

I have all of the Kaoss stuff (and for some reason forgot to mention them as options); but I can say they are decently built and work well.

GJ

Last edited:
Many thanks robmixx and rhythmgj , just had a look at the korg mini 2s but i was after more delay, reverb effects as i play a lot of dub techno and reggae , think i am going to get the boss de 20 space echo pedal as i think i have sussed it out as far as connections to my mixer , all the best dubpunk66.

Last edited:
Back