cue vs channel slider?

Travis

Is it me or does anyone else find that when mixing two tracks together (in the trance or house genre) it makes for a smoother mix to drop the trim of the out going track while bringing up the volume on the incoming track...? so instead of sliding the volume slider down on the outgoing track you drop the trim...I find this to also solve the problem of clashing baselines.:cool:

yeah, that is the whole idea behind getting rotary volume knobs for your mixer, just remember that trim/gain does not equal volume.

yeah man thats the idea, i even use it sometimes for drum and bass, well i used to, now i just focus on the eqs

i just wish that i could afford a 3rd deck, :D

hmmmm Let me get this straight... dont use the channel slider to lower the volume of the outgoing track, keep it at full volume and just lower the trim? oh and by the way why is the gain/trim different than the volume they both do the same job?:eek:

gain is the input level (i think), while the volume faders control the output volume. you can mix with the gains if you like but gains will not completely cut to zero volume so you will have to use the volume faders or crossfader as well. if you like the use of the gain knobs, many people do prefer knobs, i recomend getting some rotary volume knobs for your mixer, if possible.

The gain is used to even out the incoming signals of the channels so you can make up for different level signals, be it from the same sources or different ones (variations in recording/mastering levels, vinyl or cd quality, etc...), I've never used it to mix, but I've been using it to add some extras to my sets working the PA thru the gain pots, since the volume controls are not enough. These days every bit counts to get the edge...:D

oh my god!!!!

after reading these I was a little confused????

using the gains to mix...................??????

first, you gotta have a mixer with a three band eq to mix well.....

Second... I use a conbination of crossfader and the volume sliders to mix. First set the vol 1 slider at about 90% and vol2 at 70%. Then I bring the x fader accross ( mabye not all the way to the middle) and then use the volume sliders to do most of the mixing.

X fader curves are really strange and don't give you an even sounding mix.

If there is some clashing, use the eq's to get rid of the sounds you don't want. But don't cut them completely cos it sounds really tinny (unless you want it as an effect)

Of course this is just my method and remember that there is no "right way" to mix

I barely even use the cross fader as is.I spin D&B and the only time I really use the fader is whe I wanna slam in a track, other then that I leave it alone. Not sure about using the gains as a form of mixing, altho I can see this being a valuable tool and performing some Kool trixx I say just use the EQ's they're there for a reason.
peace,
sergio

Back