cross fader cracking

big abz

No other DJ I talked to have this problem. when i put the cross fader as far to one side as possible, some sound leaks through the main output.
it's not too bad when mixing cos I just put the line fader down and bring it up when it's time to blend, but is verry annoying when trying to scratch... also if I do it without touching the line fader the sound starts crackeling for a second when the other tune is comming in.
non of my friends have this problem and one of them has a 7 year old numark mixer that is rusty and verry stiff to drag from one side to the other when mixing but does'nt leek any sound when on one side.
This mixer that I got is ment to take up to 200k mixes.
Does this mean I got to replace the fader or just clean it out?

I have a stanton mixer and I had the same exact problem, I just replaced the crossfader because it is very easy and quick to replace, I didn't try cleaning it out, but I imagine a can of air duster might be another solution, you can pick some up in the computer section at most department stores.
late

What brand and modell mixer? My old Numark 2002X started showing cracking both in faders and knobs only after like 2-3 months of use. Try cleaning it up and if that doesn't work, exchange it.. and then, new mixer :p

This generally is a sign of poor manufacturing/components, something unfortunately not to uncommon with Numark :rolleyes:

Thanx guys, I cleaned it out with compressed air and it sounded a bit better. I'll probably get a replacement fader cos It's cheaper than getting a new mix.
:)

I'm pretty sure that some DJ shops sell a cleaner solution specifically made for faders and such.

I forget the brand name tho'.....sorry:(

I'll check if the shops got that and probably start saving up for a vestax mixer or somthing more reliable cos Im using a budget mixer behringer DX100 cos my old one got fuked by hooking a cd player to the phono side (stupid mistake but hapeens when starting out) this one lasted for a good while tho.....) n e way thganx 4 the tip:D

I've got three words for you: Tuner Control Spray. This is probably the best stuff you could use for a bad fader. I heard about this stuff from the DJ Qbert Do It Yourself DVD and my brother-in-law sprayed some in his Numark crossfader and it completely got rid of the bleeding. It also cleans and lubricates to make your faders silky smooth. I highly recommend picking a can of this fantastic stuff up!

CAIG Pro Gold is another spray lubricant type stuff that's made for applications like that. I've used it on a few noisy knobs, cleans 'em right up...

TUNER CONTROL CLEANER IS THE SHIZNIT!!!

especially when you use ****ty numark and gemini mixers!

You can get the stuff at any Radio Shack, at least here in Pittsburgh you can...

An electronics guy I was talking to told me about it when I was complaining that i was going to throw my mixer out the window and buy a new one due to fader crackling all over the place.

Spray this stuff in before a gig or before you do a recording and it will keep even your crappiest gemini from bleeding too bad, unless well... it IS a Gemini so it might NOT help but its cheap to try :-)

yeah , you spray your faders , and all goes well , but after that you need to spray 'em every day becuse they will bleed more and more .

yeah i just had to upgrade the mixer, spent bout £300 on my vestax and it's beutifull, exacly what i need no extras but at least i woun't have to deal with those problems. but as this post will probably help others yes the fader lubricant (u can get it from www.htfr.com) is good.

big abz said:
No other DJ I talked to have this problem. when i put the cross fader as far to one side as possible, some sound leaks through the main output.
it's not too bad when mixing cos I just put the line fader down and bring it up when it's time to blend, but is verry annoying when trying to scratch... also if I do it without touching the line fader the sound starts crackeling for a second when the other tune is comming in.
non of my friends have this problem and one of them has a 7 year old numark mixer that is rusty and verry stiff to drag from one side to the other when mixing but does'nt leek any sound when on one side.
This mixer that I got is ment to take up to 200k mixes.
Does this mean I got to replace the fader or just clean it out?

Simple: contact lub spray. You can go to Radio Shack and pick it for about $6. I had this problem with an old mixer of mine and the lub fixed it up nice without crackles and bleeding.
If the problem persists then replace the fader.

I know that some of the older Numarks had this problem big time but it seems that they have fixed the situation on their newer models (I think Staton bought them out).

well since i bought a digital mixer i use my cailube lubricant to lube my hair clipper , but never tried inverse

Is there anything else I can use? Something around the house perhaps?

Back