Could Any DJs Answer a Few Questions

JD133

Hey!

For a University/college assignment, I am focusing on the job role of DJing, and discussing how to get into that job role.

I need some quotes from current DJs in the scene (from all over the world!). If you could answer any of the following questions, and attach a link or name to your soundcloud page, id love to check you out and use your advice/quotes in my work. A few sentences for each would be great!

What is the importance of social media to new DJs trying to get out there?

How can your mixes stand out from the rest?

How can you keep growing as a DJ?

What are important things to remember when starting out as a DJ?

How often should you practice?

Best way to promote yourself?

Thanks a lot!

JD

Hi, my link is DEPHONIX - FUTURE JUNGLE, BREAKS & HOUSE - London Female DJ

What is the importance of social media to new DJs trying to get out there?
I think it's only part of the story. Having an online presence helps but you really have to put time in with it if you want any gains. Before you know it you've spent more time doing your social media stuff than you have mixing.. You can't beat getting out there and talking to people face to face - promoters, club owners, agents etc.

How can your mixes stand out from the rest?
This is difficult if the genre you're planning to work in is a crowded market. If it's a crowded market then it becomes more about 'who you know' if you want to get noticed.

How can you keep growing as a DJ?
Embrace all new technologies.

What are important things to remember when starting out as a DJ?
Be humble - be nice.
Practice, practice, practice.

How often should you practice?
I mixed every day for 6 weeks to grasp the fundamentals.

Best way to promote yourself?
I don't know that there's a type of self promotion which is more effective than the next so use all that you have access to. Also your budget makes a difference here.
Get an online presence where you can point people when they want to know more about you. Websites are cheap to build - include a bio and allow listeners to download your mixes.
Get a show on a radio station, or guest on other peoples shows.

Back