Cartrige and needles question...

C

cosmique

If I get a pair of Techs 1200M3D, which cartriges and needles I should buy for them??? And what are these things, carts, stylus, needles??? I don't get it! How much I'm supposed to spend in order to have ready to play turntables?????? Thanks. :rolleyes:

stylus = needle, carts hold the stylus/needle. You don't need to replace the carts as often as you need to replace the needles.

If I were you I would get Shure 44Gs. They aren't too expensive, sound good, and don't eat up your records but still stick in the groove like glue. Unless you're going for hardcore turntablist stuff, then get the 447s, similar to the 44G but perhaps a bit better if you're doing a lot of scratching.

If you want something real cheap then maybe 500ALs, they aren't great but they will do the job and are very inexpensive.

Ok, now I understand! But when I buy a cartrige, does it include the needle??? or I need to buy a needle apart from the cartrige?? In case of Shure or Stanton cartriges that you mentioned, which includes the needle??? Thanks! :cool:

shure

get the shures they are by far the best value for your money. get M44G or M447 and you can't go wrong. anytime you buy a cartridge you will get the stylus (or actual needle) with it which is great. sometime down the road you'll need to replace the stylus as they wear out, so styli are available by themselves as well. some setups come with 2 styli instead of just one which is nice to have a spare right there. i would recommend going with the shures over the stantons. i've had pretty much every dj cartridge from the stanton line and they are real good at eating up vinyl. perhaps things have changed, but i have no desire to go back to stanton. - jeff h

i have the m-44gs and i love em great for sound and for scratchin as well
ive heard the stylus last like a year on these bad boys so thats cool and if you wanted to get into hardcoretablism--you can use the m447 stylus' in them as well

GREAT! THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP, I'm DEFINITLY GETTING THE TECHS! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! :hello:

Don't forget the Ortofons... They make very good carts/styli as well! I use them!

Anyway, just to clear up a little point about cartriges:

Some carts (like Shure M44s and Ortofon OMs) need a headshell in order for you to use them. The needle plugs into the cart, the cart is mounted on the headshell and the headshell plugs into the tonearm.

Cart
m44g.jpg

Headshell
djgear_1721_40454373

Cart+Headshell
djgear_1721_37862387

Other carts (like Ortofon Concordes or Stanton Trackmaster) plug straight in to the tone arm doing away with the need for a headshell.

Concorde
djgear_1721_7588020

Last edited:
cosmique said:
But the headshell is included in Techs, or not?:confused:
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Check with your dealer. Remember that the cheaper the deck's price gets, the less likely you'll have the headshells included. When I bought my MK2s they didn't have headshells (so naturally I bought Concordes).

Back