Can I not split the sound between monitors and headphones?

Vuijkie

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to mix but have not figured out how to split the sound.

My setup:
Vestax VCI-100 USB dj controller
KRK rokit 5's
Focusrite 2i2 usb audio interface
Headphones
Traktor Pro 2 software

everything is properly plugged in but when I go t my settings in Traktor, I have only output 1 and 2 for my monitors but it won't detect other output's that I need for my headphones. Any idea why this is?

I'm not sure what you mean by "split the sound," and I'm not familiar with that unit (it looks like there aren't a lot of others here that are either)...

With that said, I'm wondering if this thread might help you; it seems like a few other folks have had the same problem getting sound in the cue buss, and the fix is here: Help with vestax vci 100 mk2 please!! | Digital DJ Tips Forums

GJ

Last edited:
Fundamentally, this is a software issue, not a hardware one.

You need to use the preferences menu in traktor to setup which is your external audio interface and then assign individual busses accordingly.

what has confused me about your question is that the headphone socket on either of your interfaces is not a separately assignable buss as far as the hardware is concerned but rather a sum buss of everything that is going through the interface - you should not be able to assign the headphone buss separately because this runs counter to the way in which the headphone buss is designed to operate in most equipment.

Put another way, the headphone buss should allow you to monitor all inputs/outputs, regardless of other buss configurations

Last edited:
I have a focusrite saffire, And all I have to do is plug into the headphone out on the interface and I get sound coming from my monitors and headphones/comp speakers with no internal settings involved.

The thread did not help me much further I'm affraid. The sound goes through my sound card to my monitors, but nothing to the headphones. I saw somewhere that at the output monitor, it should be output 1 and 2 (or 0 and 1). And output master should be whatever your headphones is. I dont even have number. All it says is output L and output R...

but you have sound coming from your monitors?

(forgive me but I am following strict process of elimination)

on a side note, although you have told us what you have, you have not given us a wiring diagram that shows what is connected to what and how - can you do that please (troubleshooting starts from the premise of what is known and eliminating what has and hasn't gone wrong)

Sound is coming from my monitors yes, I hope I can sketch the wiring properly:

in my macbook goes a USB connected Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
The KRK rp5's are plugged into that interface with XLR (monitors) - 6.5? (big) Jack cable (interface).
I also have my headphone plugged in. It is a beats by dre which has a small jack cable so I put a little connector between the interface and the interface.

This should not matter though because it does play music or my productions through the headphones. Traktor is really the only issue.
Do you have enough info like this? Just let me know if something is still not clear, I will do my best to explain.

what is your current preferences for audio in traktor?

can you include a screenshot of the dialog box(es)?

straight up you need to select something other than built in for your audio device - this should then allow you to assign busses and everything else to the scarlet

Ah yes found it, but still I only get output 1 and 2 for the monitors, no headphone options...

Schermafbeelding 2013-09-13 om 12.01.07.png

Schermafbeelding 2013-09-13 om 12.01.18.png

Last edited:
but you should now be getting audio out the scarlet (which was not the case before) which means that you now have audio in the headphones by default

Yeah that's true thanks! But the cueing still wont work, that I can get a preview through my headphones. When I have both decks playing but turn down the volume of deck b. I cannot hear that deck through my headphones

Yeah, look in your manual (or do a Google search on your specific gear) for setting-up cueing. Obviously, that's not right. I can't believe they'd sell you a "dj rig" that doesn't allow independent cue monitoring.

GJ

screenshots for the transport, decks layout, track decks, remix decks and mixer dialogs would help

The OP is looking for a cue feed for his headphones, separate (and independent) from his main outputs in order to practice cueing/mixing etc. for DJing

GJ

This is simple. You need to select asio 4 all in the output device then configure the asio 4 all whilst in traktor and enable the head phones and the monitors. For a reference my headphones olug into the onboard soundcard and im using a yamaha usb external box for my monitors. Remember to close all other programs using the monitors drivers and select headphones as a Defualt sound out put on your os.

Then goto traktor and select the appropriate devices. Should see 4 now the usb external x2 and the onboard x2

Back