Can headphones affect your hearing?

kidgorgeous

Hey, I've been practicing mixing everyday for about an hour. I don't have my speakers blaring, but for some reason I keep getting audio dropouts in my actual ears during the day doing normal day to day activities. Like my hearing won't go away completely but sometimes it will drop down a few decibels and then sometimes I'll hear a high pitched sine wave like the tests they used to do for the Emergency Broadcast System. This will last for roughly five minutes.I used to have just one earbud in my left ear to cue the tracks while my right ear was free to listen to the speakers main output. Since I started having these problems in my left ear, I switched the earbud to my right ear just a couple days ago and now I'm starting to have the same problem in my right ear but even worse. Now I just got a sound in my right ear about 20 minutes ago that sounds like the internal fan of a computer that's under high CPU usage.

Could this be a product of my headphones? Like I said I use cheap Sony earbuds I think I've had for ages when I got them with a DiscMan back in the day and they sit directly into the ear canal. And I'm not even cueing tracks super loud, nothing louder than if I was just listening to my Ipod. But I will admit when I'm turning the knob up and down to kill and then hear the cued track, maybe a couple times it will get too loud.

Is this a product of my headphones, my technique, my speakers? Would my ears benefit from higher quality headphones? I had those Denon DN-HP1000's before they got stolen, but I don't like those big clunky Dj headphones. I think they were more of a hassle putting them on and snatching them off and trying to maneuver them when all I want to do is just cue a record. Would higher quality earbuds solve my problem?

Not sure but it doesnt sound good ..
I ordered a headphone amp from an online dealer a while ago and they sent a free miracle hearing restorer with it...
All it was was the cheap foam ear plugs but it had an instruction card that said something along the lines of :

Put the ear plugs in and focus on like the sound of your heart beat for 10 mins a day and it will actually reverse some of the effects of hearing loss.

give it a shot ..cant hurt

That high pitch tone you hear in your head is your hearing dying, it's the swan song for that frequency. Thats why your ears ring after concerts or loud noises.
If you listen with lower levels you should be fine.
I myself have lost some my high frequency's from too many concerts and raves. I found out from hearing tests from my work, and I do have trouble hearing what people say sometimes.

I dont know if expensive headphones will help, phones in general are alot worse for your hearing than speakers because they dont let sound escape.

Yeah, that's true. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any of my hearing yet. It comes back full strength. I just want to prevent the day it doesn't come back full strength

i hate headphones ever since walkmans. i used to hook up my walkman to my sansui amp and listen to it thru large speakers.
i dont even mess with loud music in the ride anymore. i listen to enough music whenever i want to at home its not necessary for me to blast a "hot song".
stay away from highs and headphones.
even when im in someone's ride i always ask them to turn that sh1t down.
headphones are not good for the ears and i dont care that dre has 50 million dollar headphones out.

even for djing i dont use headphones.

I would go to your doctor as soon as you can. I've never experienced anything like that in my 9yrs of dj'ing.

yo man I'm sorry to say this, but I think you suffer from hyperacousia, and from what I've read, there's not much to do about it. And most of the time, it gets bad to the point that you just wanna stay home cause it becomes painful. Sorry man

I know just recently, I hadn't listened to any kind of personal music player, so I hadn't used any kind of in ear headphones, I'd say it was about 9 months or so. then I took the bus oneday, listened to music on my blackberry using in ear headphones, I never turned it up too loud, but by the time I got to work and took the headphones out, it felt like I had an ear infection or some****. Like when you've been swimming, and when you get out not all the water is out of your ear canal??? Ya, that feeling. And then I had a headache for the rest of the night.

I aint never using in ear headphones again.

Back