Thread: Breakbeats

Thanks

Sign in to disable this ad
    i'm a little new to mixing and have always been puzzled by the term breakbeat. i hear the word thrown around pretty often especially by one one my know-it-all friends but havnt been able to get information out of him.

what i want to know is what exactly is a breakbeat and how does it help while mixing.

any help?

Thanks

Thumbs up

Sure. By the way, welcome to the onlineDJ.com community

The most common criteria for breakbeats are clear drums and
    percussion in a 4/4 measure. The snare usually plays on 2 and 4: so . 2 . 4. There may also be other snare hits in the measure. Nearly all breakbeats descend from the breaks on James Brown records, where he goes HUEENNNNGG and the band stops.

Basically, a breakbeat is the beat in that break. James Brown's drummers have historically created syncopated beats (i.e. off the measure), very often, around the third beat. In Primer notation: 1 2 33 4.
    PLEASE HELP FP BY CLICKING ON

Thanks

Talking

That's a very interesting post thanks Mano

Thanks

Question

thanx manoOne, very informative - though i still have a doubt. one of my friends is taking part in the DMC championships and one of the criteria for judging is listed as 'creation of breakbeats'. how exactly does one do that?

Thanks
    I think that might be drumming. Catching the record on a beat and then bringing the record back to another beat or something. Just creating your own breaks with a record. Or I could be giving you wrong information cause Im stupid, but I think thats right.

[Edited by Appollyon on 09-08-2000 at 08:35 AM]

Thanks

yeah...

I think you might be right mate...you take a kick and a snare and anything else you want and you scratch them using the fader to take out the backward motion and then put the kicks and snares in whatever order you liketo create a phat funky break!
    PH4TC4T

Thanks

Wink mixin with breakbeats

breakbeats basically involves creating your own rhythms by cutting back and forth (breaking) between 2 rekkids. it's a lot easier to show someone than explain it, but basically what a dj does when breaking is bust back and with the crossfader on certain beats. i hope that made some sense and helped some people out.
    "Let this be a lesson to you. Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Thread Information