best scratch needles/carts

DaveBeatz

trying to scratch and the needle keeps jumping about the place. i have been advised to get a decent cart/needle or whatever it it.

been looking on the internet but still no closer to knowing what i need.

do i need the cartridge and needle? i am using a technics sl1210 mk2. it has a standard cartridge+needls on it. cant see any brand name on it.

dont want to spend too much but what are some good options?

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

should i just get shure m44-7 ? it looks like it will fit the head that i have already

The m44-7 is a great cartridge for scratching. Not the best sound quality for listening or sampling, but nothing awful unless your a high-end dude. You got your second cartridges to switch up and use when purely listening if it bothers you after all. Bass heavy needle, great skip resistance, minimum record wear and doesn't cost that much.

If you got money to spend, the Ortofon Q-bert's would be a good choice too. They sound better and are good for scratching.

i got a technics 1200 about 3 months ago...i havnt scratched much yet, but ive been using a numark phat trak to sample and listen to records, it sounds fine, the low end is a bit week but...

anyone use a numark phat trak to scratch? are they any good?

Yea you really have to go with M44-7 with the correct set-up.
There is nothing less.

I noticed a crazy improvement as soon as I got them.

m44-7's are the scratch/hiphop/turntable industry standard, great sound, great stick in the groove... if you have a pair of these and it's skipping... your tonearm is off (adjust the height and weight )

m44-7's are the scratch/hiphop/turntable industry standard, great sound, great stick in the groove... if you have a pair of these and it's skipping... your tonearm is off (adjust the height and weight )

Yea M447's. They are hands down the best in all cases. The ortaphons sound like a ****ing tin can. Every kind. The condord headshell is trash too. The M447's are fairly priced, work the best with tracking records for serato and tracktor, and are affordable. They have some serato ortaphon coming out but its like $200 a piece and they will probably still be trash. The M447's have a special warm quality that not only make beats sound better but also make cuts sound much better. The m44G's are an ok supplement if your real strapped for cash but still want very good quality. They do not track as well as the the M44G's on midi control records. But they do the trick if your not going too crazy. If your not using control records they seem to hold up very well while performing any type of scratch technique.

I've been using qbert's concordes the sound quality is better than m447s and but the downer is its price and it really eats into your vinyl. Each lasted about half a year whereas my M447s have lasted me for 2 years and I scratch a lot.

Shure m44-7s, no question...Ive been djing for 14+ years. I've gone through stanton, multiple ortofons, and numarks. Not only do the m447's track the best they have a better high and low response than the others; but with serato that probably doesn't matter anymore. :)

Concordes Q-Bert. I remember there was a test done between the M44-7s and the Q-Berts. They both tracked perfectly (1 not better than the other) but the Q-Berts simply sounded better.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

The sound of the Q-Bert is very clear and loud.

Concordes Q-Bert. I remember there was a test done between the M44-7s and the Q-Berts. They both tracked perfectly (1 not better than the other) but the Q-Berts simply sounded better.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

The sound of the Q-Bert is very clear and loud.

Ive had the shures and now i use the q-berts...like you said the sound is to my ears MUCH better,they both good needles tho...Ortofon is and always will be my first choice.

Back