best cartridge/ needles for a stanton straight arm

foerster

you know me well
Ok I am new to DJ turntables.. I had been sampling on an old one until I got this Stanton Str8-80..
It was used.. but still works fine, the only problem is I think the stylus is worn out. It is the DJ craze cartidge.

Now I know that for straight arm turntables you can't use an eliptical cartridge.. I think.

So can anyone recommend a good sounding cartridge or needle (not sure what i have to replace) that will be good for sampling, using a straight arm turntable?
It is not necessary that it is good for scratching, mixing, or anything like that.

Thanks!!

For a nice sounding Dj style cart i think the Shure m35x, Stanton SA-890 or probably an Ortofon OM Nightclub S are the 'top' picks.

The Only problem w/ Shure 35 series, the cartridge does not like to be grounded. the Str8-80 has a self grounding cable so w/ any 35 cart u will get a hum

yurp

if u can afford it, i'd go with a m447, they really aren't that expensive, considering u'd be getting a really quality cart. and once u mount them corrected.. they stick to ur vinyl, especially with a straight tone arm

Thanks for the help...

I should have made it more clear: I am looking a reasonably priced cart that will sound good and fit a straight arm.
It is not necessary that the cart be good for mixing, scratching, back cueing, or anything dj related... Just for sampling

oh sorry, i didnt realize its just for sampling.. in that case u should look into a pickering cart. they are strictly for sound quality.. and they are reasonalbly priced.

LOL Pickering :) i got one for $5 and it's a crap version of the 500al. For sound quality go for something like a Grado DJ200. From what I've heard they have the best sound quality, far surpassing the sound quality of those shure whitelables. The only reason why they r not as popular for djing is b/c their skip resistance is not as good as most dj carts. But the sound is great and it has a low cue-burn. If you want a great reasonably priced "audiophile" cart only Grado's will do.

www.gradolabs.com

haha woops. i honestly hadn't ever tried a pickering, but i had heard they're an economical way to get sound quality carts

dj chex said:
LOL Pickering :) i got one for $5 and it's a crap version of the 500al. For sound quality go for something like a Grado DJ200. From what I've heard they have the best sound quality, far surpassing the sound quality of those shure whitelables. The only reason why they r not as popular for djing is b/c their skip resistance is not as good as most dj carts. But the sound is great and it has a low cue-burn. If you want a great reasonably priced "audiophile" cart only Grado's will do.

www.gradolabs.com

That sounds like it might be right for my use..

Only question is, can you mount this kind on a straight arm turntable? Doesn't it have to be a special kind of cart so that it doesn't tear up the viynl??

As you can see I am new to this, I am used to using my pop's 1970's Technics Belt-Drive.

Thanks

old vintage techs, sweet!! With a straight arm table i would recomend staying away from ellipical stylus b/c it would be like a blunt diamond tip knife carving into your vinyl. Crap... the Grado i recomended earlier has a elliptical stylus. OK for another cart that may work but is not gonna sound nearly as good would be something like a stanton 680HP b/c it has a high output, sounds warm, low cue burn and has a spherical stylus. i think im going crazy now w/ all this talk bout needlz:victory:

Lngrunner said:
haha woops. i honestly hadn't ever tried a pickering, but i had heard they're an economical way to get sound quality carts

Do you want one??? I have it sitting in my record bag as a spare in case my cheap 520sk's break. nice high output but sounds really distorted like it's gonna blow the speakers and cut a hole through my vinyl :bat:

i personally would stick with the 520sk (you can just by a replacement stylus, save even more money :)), I have them, and they definitely do not suck. The things about Stanton's turntables (the ones without tonearm height adjustments) is that they are designed for Stanton carts. If you use a Shure M44, its gonna sit wrong and wreck your record. Stick with the Stantons and you'll be ok. (not to sound too much like a corporate whore)

DJ Peligro said:
i personally would stick with the 520sk (you can just by a replacement stylus, save even more money :)), I have them, and they definitely do not suck. The things about Stanton's turntables (the ones without tonearm height adjustments) is that they are designed for Stanton carts. If you use a Shure M44, its gonna sit wrong and wreck your record. Stick with the Stantons and you'll be ok. (not to sound too much like a corporate whore)

Cool, how much is a replacement stylus?

the 520sk is not bad. i got a couple for everyday use and they are extremely durable. The stylus cost $30 each or a 3 pack for $60. Each should be replaced in about a year or so. For sound quality however, i'm sticking w/ my recomendations.:cheers:

DJ Peligro said:

sorry that i wasn't clear but i wasn't dissing the 520sk i was more or less trying to diss a pickering nc-pk or something like that...

Back