Beginner DJ: Trying to buy some cheap turntables and Mixer HELP PLEASE!!

Kblakeshot

Future Hit Maker
Hey guys, Im very new to DJ with no equipment. I was wanting to know if it would be a good Idea to buy some real cheap equipment on ebay and then seeing if I like the whole DJing thing and then get better equip? Ive seen starter kits for like $200 that come with 2 turntables and a mixer? Would this get me started just to get the feel, or is there any other suggestions. I only want to spend $300 just to see if I can do it and if its right for me cause I wouldnt want to invest and then not really like it. Please give ANY helpful advice!! Thanks in advance..

-Read This-

^^That should answer most of your questions.

Do not get one of the starter packs. They give you a small taste of DJing, but are generally very sh*tty products.

Unfortunately, there is no "cheap" way to get into DJing.

Hope this helps.

If you have the money, just buy Technics 1200's used on eBay, and a good used mixer on eBay (Rane, Vestax, Pioneer). Chances are, the better equipment you have, the more you'll like DJing.
If you don't like it, nice DJ equipment has good resale value so you could re-sell everything back on eBay.
Let's say you buy 2 used 1200's on eBay for $275 each ($550 total- comes with carts). Then you buy a Pioneer 707 mixer on eBay for $275 ($825 total). So, you've spent $825 for some of the best DJ gear you can buy. You try DJing for a few months and decide you don't like it. You put all the gear back on eBay in the same auction. Chances are you'll get $650-$700 for the gear (as long as it's still in good shape). So in total you're out LESS than $200.
On the other hand, you could spend $300 on a sh!tty combo pack, end up hating DJing and be stuck with crap that nobody wants, and be out $300. Which do you think is the better option?
If you want to scratch and not mix you don't have to buy 2 turntables right off. Buy one nice deck and a good mixer and practice scratching that way while you save money for another nice deck. You can always plug a CD player into the mixer to get beats.

if you are willing to spend the $279 on the 707 mixer, I think you can still get the new 707 for about $299.....

1. find someone with turntables, bug them to let you play on them for an afternoon or two...have someone show you the basics

2. buy two 1200's and don't look back

3. if you're broke as **** from the 1200's, buy a cheap mixer, use it until you can't take it anymore and save up for a Rane or A&H

if you do this in the reverse order you won't be happy

Back