beat jugglers?

dvsn23

QUESTION: How many of you still beat juggle breakbeats?

ok i've had my decks for just over a year now. i had thrown on the breakbeats before and attempted to juggle...haha i was probly smart to save the wear and tear and avoid this for a while. then a week or two ago i tried it again, and it started to come together for me. i mean i could always match the beats ok from the two records but sometimes the breaks are only like 4 bars and you have to be quick and remember which point each record is at. finally i conquered this ish and even have been bold enough to start throwing scratches in. i just never see any dj's juggling anymore and wondered if you guys f*cked with it.

Oh yeah. Scratch battles are still pretty juggle-rific. I don't see too many DJs doing it so much outside of battles, though.

Some indie group called glue. came through not too long ago; I seem to remember them having a track where the DJ juggled while the MC freestyled. Don't see that too often anymore, it was neat.

I don't think the average person really digs beat juggling, though. It's kind of like weird math to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
big up big up. i knew it was still being done but i just don't see many dj's do it anymore. do any of you guys juggle? my favorite guy to watch is probly dj gi joe, immortal technique's dj. anybody in turntable annhilists for that matter, they f*cking kill it. a lot of other famous dj's are "good" at juggling, but the annhilists are in a league of their own.

If you peep battle dvds you will see a lot of juggles. They say you cant even win one of the major battles with scratching alone. Juggling is somthing ive been working on a lot more myself.

the people who still do it, have been doing it since before the colapse of battle djing in 2000-2001........a-track will do it, craze is one of the most innovative dudes ever, but if you remember or have seen the battles from develop, and craze in the late 90's, that was beat juggling at its best.....though i haven't seen dmc in a few years......people just ran out of ideas, except qbert and d-styles, who seem to get better every time i hear them....think of q's rock the bells 6 years ago, then listen now.......that is amazing that a single routine can get better than perfect........also, no money in that kind of djing.......people do not want to listen unless they do it themselves
'

hahaha i got into making beats by beat juggling. i started out as a DJ/turntablist and did my own **** with breakbeats. first started out looping, then started to make my drum beat with break records using the snare and kick. then that eventually made me want to buy an mpc and try this music producing stuff.

just check out some dmc videos, and all of the DJs beat juggle. also check out the local bboy events. beat juggling is the essence for the DJs that play music for breakdancers.

yeah I still juggle.trying to incorporate them in my mixes of electro and rock sets.Hardest part is getting a routine to work in a party rock set without deterrring the crowd but just enhancing the set.

best currently battling beat juggler around, precision of the x-ecutioners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfAwEj4J-uY

also gi joe isn't really anything special, fast looping mostly, but I wouldn't put him near any of the great beat jugglers...

Last edited by a moderator:
i watched that, things have not progressed from develop and craze, if that's whats winnig the dmc's now adays........boring to me

Freebeezy said:
i watched that, things have not progressed from develop and craze, if that's whats winnig the dmc's now adays........boring to me

his juggles are boring? :s

I think, from what i have seen since the beggining of the decade, the progression just stopped, or slowed rapidly........granted i don't watch every dj battle routine anymore, or even many, but still........i don't see the creativity being pushed the same as it used to........but that's me, i left the stuff alone around that time, when i got bored with it, and since i spent all my time scratching and juggling, i never got into the real side of djaying.........but watch some of the old craze and develop ****, and tell me that it has come a long way in the past 8-9 years, then look at the 8-9 years prior to that, and see the strides that were made........its not as interesting

Freebeezy said:
I think, from what i have seen since the beggining of the decade, the progression just stopped, or slowed rapidly........granted i don't watch every dj battle routine anymore, or even many, but still........i don't see the creativity being pushed the same as it used to........but that's me, i left the stuff alone around that time, when i got bored with it, and since i spent all my time scratching and juggling, i never got into the real side of djaying.........but watch some of the old craze and develop ****, and tell me that it has come a long way in the past 8-9 years, then look at the 8-9 years prior to that, and see the strides that were made........its not as interesting

well, that's kind of a given though, comparing the progression of juggling from before the allies to after, is like comparing the progression of scratching from before ISP to after, obviously when someone comes along and dedicates time and energy into an art that hasn't been explored that thoroughly, they're going to make a lot of discoveries and innovations, and make it harder to discover and innovate new things afterwards, it doesn't make sense to say 'precision's boring because he's doing less new stuff in 2007 than craze did in 1998', that's obvious, but he's still coming up with some fresh/funky stuff

it's possible to appreciate a routine just for what it is, as opposed to the innovations it makes

I agree to a point, and disagree too........scrtaching has still advanced and people are still getting much better at......i look at that the same as playing an instrument, qbert and d-styles are on another level, but it is also about individual styles, and how people string patterns and scratches together........juggling is different......people were doing variations on a theme, until the allies brought something innovative......but they only did it for a bit, and that whole creative usage of the tables seems to never have been developed further.....in any artistic medium, one takes ideas and progresses them, while adding their own style into it........no one, it seems, did that with the advanced form of beat juggling.....it's kinda like back to 97........maybe i don't watch enough, but there are still possibilities that have not been exausted

Freebeezy said:

yeah i mean that was a cool set but i still like g.i. joe better haha. it's probly cuz i like his choice of beats better tho.

Freebeezy said:
I agree to a point, and disagree too........scrtaching has still advanced and people are still getting much better at......i look at that the same as playing an instrument, qbert and d-styles are on another level, but it is also about individual styles, and how people string patterns and scratches together........juggling is different......people were doing variations on a theme, until the allies brought something innovative......but they only did it for a bit, and that whole creative usage of the tables seems to never have been developed further.....in any artistic medium, one takes ideas and progresses them, while adding their own style into it........no one, it seems, did that with the advanced form of beat juggling.....it's kinda like back to 97........maybe i don't watch enough, but there are still possibilities that have not been exausted

right, I agree that the possibilities of beat juggling haven't near been exhausted, and their definitely isn't quite the same progression as in scratching, but there are still people pushing it a bit... like with scratching, the OGs like qbert/d-styles/etc are still pushing boundaries, but with juggling, the x-ecutioners kind of peaked a while ago and haven't done much as far as innovation in the last while... I even think that the average beat juggler in 99-2001 dmc's was a lot tighter than the average beat juggler in 07, but there are still people like izoh, kico, precision, some of those guys who are doing stuff with it... I highly doubt that the even the allies could pull some of the patterns precision did in that juggle, but precision can probably do most of their patterns... though the difference between the allies and him maybe isn't that big compared to the pre-allies to the allies, but he's still doing some new stuff...

I guess we might be saying the same thing sort of, I agree that there hasn't been much progression, but there are still peeps doing their things

yeah.....people are doing well at what they do......i completely agree about the 99-01 vs 07 jugglers........though i haven't been watching nearly as much as i used to..........i haven't heard a routine that made me think like wow, that is some new ish..........but someone will sometime, it is all in cycles......

Back