Annoying turntable squeak...

kreza

Dear turntablist legends,

I have a few records that make a really loud whining sound when I'm queuing up or spinning back for a juggle. A bit like when you circle your fingertip round the top of a wine glass. Has anyone else ever had this? What can I do about it?

Hoping you can help,

kreza

make a little roll from a cigarette paper and put it between the spindle and your record. Dont make it too thick or your records wont move easy.. but dont make it too thin neither or it wont help to much.

Do it the way that'll give you a good record feeling!

This also prevents skipping, especially when doing faderless scratches =]

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i get that, but i have already tightned the record spindle hole (like in qbert diy) and it still squeaks, its well annoying

Yeah, I get that on certain records, too. I think the spindle hole just needs to be worn in a little bit more.

I can think of two records of mine that do it, and both of them fit pretty tightly on the spindle.

But that rolling paper trick sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.

Yeah this happened to me too! If you've tightened up the spindle hole on you record it creates a squeak whenever you pull back because the record is gripping the spindle too tight. Loosen it up a bit by using a thinner tape or lessening what's already in there.

Pz!

-daffy

Mine sometimes makes like this wierd Hi pitched rumble sound... its like a loud Harley mixed w/ a fart... :/

Use some cloth medical tape on the record. Cut a nice thin strip, stick it through the hole on the record, then fold it tightly and stick it to the label on both sides. the nylon cloth medical tape is nice and slick. I also use masking tape. and ya, it totally helps with tracking. I never got a squeak, but i would get a low pitch rumble fromthe record vibrating. the stylus would actually pick up the sound, and it would resonate through the speakers. tape fixed the problem.

Back