Allen & Heath Xone 62 VS. Pioneer DJM-600

DJTASO

Hello everybody! I currently own a Pioneer DJM-600 mixer, which is pretty much the industry standard in the U.S. and I've seen it a lot in Greece too... What mixer is the industry standard in Europe? I like the DJM-600 a lot, with all the effects, the BPM meter, and the sampler. I also like the Xone 62 because of its overall quality/dependability and superior sound quality reputation. I only use my own DJ equipment in my home studio. Is the sound quality of the Xone 62 worth the tradeoff of not having all the things the DJM-600 offers? I know the DJM-600 has good sound quality, but the Xone 62 is supposed to have real good sound quality. When I turn my DJ equipment on, there is a slight buzz. I know everything hooked up to my monitor speakers and the monitor speakers themselves create the buzz. I'm wondering if that buzz will go down significantly in a home studio environment (i know it probably would in a club's audio system). Anybody know about this? I might go buy a Xone 62 and see how it sounds in my studio. I also like the fact that it has a VCA crossfader, which the DJM-600 doesnt have.

Made of money eh?

There shouldn't really be a buzz, are you sure that your turntables are grounded?

If you've got the moolah to splash out on a 64 just to see if it will sound good in your studio then why not go the whole hog and buy a Xone 92? That thing pisses all over the DJM 600.

The DJM 600 is a good mixer, but just because its the industry standard does not mean by any account its the best mixer money can buy, far from it. There's loads of far better mixers, its just that a DJM 600 is an extremely good one at a reasonable price and its available all over the world. Thats what makes it the industry standard.

For example all Allen & Heath mixers will sound better, Rodec, Rane Empath and even really high end Vestax (personally I think my Vestax PMC 50A performs better).

So yea if you can afford an A&H go for it.

Ciao

Dont forget to post a pic of your setup in the 'new pics of your setup post'

I have been asking the same question to myself for quite some time now.

If you search this forum, the general opinion will be that the Xone is the better sounding mixer.

I tried the Xone once, and I didn't like it. Perhaps it takes some time getting used to. But I am not willing to spend that much on something I might like.

It just didn't feel right and I didn't get the feeling I was in Control. Too many knobs and all. Furhtermore my style of mixing does not require four band EQ.

Zilver said:
I have been asking the same question to myself for quite some time now.

If you search this forum, the general opinion will be that the Xone is the better sounding mixer.

I tried the Xone once, and I didn't like it. Perhaps it takes some time getting used to. But I am not willing to spend that much on something I might like.

It just didn't feel right and I didn't get the feeling I was in Control. Too many knobs and all. Furhtermore my style of mixing does not require four band EQ.

Agreed... Honestly it took me a little time to get comfortable w/ a xone62 at GC. But once i did i was surprised how good the eq worked. Another thing, the filters on it are really good and while playing w/ it i honestly felt in control. Another mixer that im gonna stand by as one of the best is the rane empath. Even though it does not have all the gizmos the djm-600 has it does have great effects sends/returns controls and flexfx is the best effects wet/dry control availiable. Also the Eq is very fluid and musical and overall quality and performsnce IMHO far surpasses the djm-600. The djm-600 is a great mixer but to me the design is too cluttered, i wish it had cue-pan, fader curve doesn't always suit me, i don't need or like bpm counters, and it's learning curve for effects takes a little time. I would find a place to test both out side by side and give yourself around a hour to play w/ it and request a manual so you can learn how to use some of it's features.

i did a good bit of research as i always do before making the switch. many people that i have come to trust on this board really love the 62 but said it took some time to get used to. i was ready for that and it took me a week to get comfortable with the mixer. my 600 has been in a box in the closet ever since. effects, sampler - are fun, but there is no dj worth his/her salt that needs them. when they are at the level of usefulness that those in the 600 are, they are little more than gimmicks. to me there is little comparison between these mixers. - jeff h

Back