Trap Chords

what scale would those chords be from tho?

F#minor/G major would be in the key of D major (F#min is chord iii and G is chord IV)

B minor/Cmajor would be in the key of G major (B min is chord iii and C is chord IV)
bandcoach, i write mostly in pure Cminor(C D Eb F G Ab Bb C), which are the chords that i should use?

G minor/Ab major would give you the feel - these are chord iii and IV in the relative major: Eb major.

Bandcoach is doing the damn thing...unfortunately there is probably only like three people here that can read music lol

I can provide other forms of notation on request - I have created some software tools that let me do it quite quickly.

Last edited:
F#minor/G major would be in the key of D major (F#min is chord iii and G is chord IV)

B minor/Cmajor would be in the key of G major (B min is chord iii and C is chord IV)

G minor/Ab major would give you the feel - these are chord iii and IV in the relative major: Eb major.

I can provide other forms of notation on request - I have created some software tools that let me do it quite quickly.

how would that be a d major scale when its starts on a F# chord? i think if i find the answer to that alot of my problems will be solved

how would that be a d major scale when its starts on a F# chord? i think if i find the answer to that a lot of my problems will be solved

1st: It is an F#min chord, world of difference to F#
2nd:Followed by a G chord gives me lots of information to make a decision about the key:

F#-A-C#-G-B-D

Notice that there is no E - this is helpful in more than one way.

rearrange so that we get something approaching TTSTTTS - the pattern for the major scale

F#-G-A-B-C#-D-F# is STTTS2T (STTTSTT) so not F#, although the pattern is the Phrygian mode.

A-B-C#-D-F#-G-A is TTS2TST (TTSTTST) so it is not A major (also the lack of E, the fifth would count against calling it A major). Pattern is Mixolydian mode.

D-F#-G-A-B-C#-D is 2TSTTTS

which is the same as writing TTSTTTS if we account for the missing E.

So we conclude from the evidence available that D Major is the most likely key. Adding weight to this are the facts that F# Phrygian and A Mixolydian are both modes of D Major. As noted above, that makes the chords, iii (F#minor) - IV (G major) in D major

Similarly, we can look at the B minor - C major and come to the conclusion that it is in G major - iii-IV.

And so I can then suggest G minor - Ab major for Eb major as relative major to C minor.

Last edited:
i was with you up until "TTSTTTS" man i feel like an idiot

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

nvm i got it tone and semi tone

TTSTTTS is the pattern of semitones and tones in the Major scale. T=tone and S=semi-tone.

Some USA based scholars prefer WWHWWWH, where W=whole-step and H=half-step.

I have issues with this, as we would then be using the word Whole in two entirely different contexts with different meanings, only leading to more confusion.

Consider the piano keyboard:

blankKBD.png

If we chart out the white notes from C-C, counting how many keys we have to move through to get to each note, we get the following:

C.D.E.F.G.A.B.C

The numbers add to a total of 12. This is the number of semitones in an octave. From this we can say that the pattern is

2 semitones, 2 semitones, 1 semitone, 2 semitones, 2 semitones, 2 semitones, 1 semitone

Being the creatures we are, this is a bit long-winded, so we abbreviate this by coming to the realisation that 2 semi-tones must be 1 tone and then substituting T and S throughout:

TTSTTTS

yikes i didnt know trap chords could get so intricate locked my whole computer up lol good shit dho.

Back