Why is J. Dilla so overrated ??? He's no where near as talented as this guy...

Well I know what I mean when I say something, I'm a big boy, but thnx anyway tho.

So I can't enjoy something but think it's overrated too? Hmmm, I never knew that. I guess I really hate 2pac, vanilla ice cream, Pizza Hut's stuff crust pizza and Notre Dame football then. Boy was I headed down a dark path before you entered this thread, thank God you came here and showed me the light

Damn you took it way the wrong way. I didn't mean it like that. It's just to ME, overrated means you're getting more credit than you should for your accomplishments. I feel that Dilla doesn't get enough. So he can't really be overrated. In my opinion. I don't see how someone can say they like something that is somewhat "underground" and say it's overrated. Everybody knows who 2pac is. Everybody knows what vanilla ice cream and pizza hut is. Dilla's relatively unknown.

@Weiss I don't think The Shining is his best work either. But as far as drums go, there's a wide range of excellent drums. Me personally, I like the Hiccuped Classix. I can listen to all 9 volumes without skipping a track. Most people don't have that though because it's ultra-rare so I never recommend it.

Last edited:
These are two completely different genres of music, and you are one singular genre of a jackass for trying to punk a dead legend on the internet.

Both are dope, good night.

@R Styles
That doesn't mean he's not better! Sam Jones' influenced Michael Jordan, so is Sam better than MJ?? I can't say your wrong because it's all opinions and I respect that...but that argument isn't a good one.

How did Dilla pave the way for producers ? He's beats are all basic and he didn't bring anything new to the table. A lot of times all he did was loop something from a strange song and add vocal cuts to it and that has been done way before him.

Like I said, I like him...I do...but holy shit is this guy overrated. He's got a couple of good songs with Common but he ain't no Quincy Jones my man.

I never said that Dilla was better than Hudson even though I don't think he is. You stated that Dilla was overrated and I merely pointed out that the guy that you say is better (Hudson) would probably disagree with you himself. And I could go on to say that Hudson Mohawke is overrated because Travis Barker is better than him.

Now it is beyond me why people want to bring Quincy Jones into the equation when talking about producers. I mean who is comparable to Quincy? The man has been doing his thing for about half a century.

And yes Dilla is top 10 Hip Hop producer of all time. If I'm wrong name me 10 better than him. And even if you could it's still just your opinon

Donuts was Dilla's weakest work cause it wasn't completed beats but more like sketches he made when he was ill.
I think Fantastic Vol. 2 is insane, that was Dilla at his best.

^ Quit ****ing talking like you know that shit is fact, because it isn't. Donuts wasn't made to be a collection of beats that are meant to be rapped on. It is an instrumental album, which is supposed to stand alone as a body of work.

And it wasn't like he passed away partway through its creation. The album was finalized and completed, then he passed away.

If you like Fantastic more than Donuts then just say so. But don't be spewing bullshit like it's fact please.

I think Dilla's best work was songs he did for other people.

Dillanthology was much better then his own stuff IMO. That's a dope record right there.

Anybody who said Dilla isn't in the top 10- honestly who would you put above him, I'm interested in hearing that. Even give me like a Top 5

Donuts was Dilla's weakest work cause it wasn't completed beats but more like sketches he made when he was ill.
I think Fantastic Vol. 2 is insane, that was Dilla at his best.

Donuts was an instrumental album that was totally completed. What you're thinking of is Jay Stay Paid. Know what you're talking about before you decide to "contribute."

Also, when the **** did it become okay to spout off about a man who has passed? It's one thing to not really feel his music, but to have so much animosity that you go out of your way to say he's not great on an anonymous online message board because some dubstep/electronica/whatever 16 year-old kid is supposedly "lightyears ahead of him," come on dude. Respect the dead. You can like both. Your parents should have taught you that.

I will agree with others that Donuts isn't his best. All of you guys are getting your panties wet though. Such as Naive, why are you telling other people to shut up about there opinions and then professing yours like you are the great knower. Yall need to chill, both are dope. And Hudson makes Wonky.

These are two completely different genres of music, and you are one singular genre of a jackass for trying to punk a dead legend on the internet.

Both are dope, good night.

LMAO, stop trying to act hard on the internet sweetie you don't even make sense.

I'm trying to punk a dead legend??? I'm sorry I must have missed the part where I said "Dilla, you betta not show yo face around here or I'll slap the shit out of you !!"

That's why I never would hire a girl as my manager y'all are way too emotional. I'm not going to let your female games trick me into talking bad about Dilla, like I said I like him. There is a reason everyone has ignored you in this topic, but someone needed to tell you to shut up lolll

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Damn you took it way the wrong way. I didn't mean it like that. It's just to ME, overrated means you're getting more credit than you should for your accomplishments. I feel that Dilla doesn't get enough. So he can't really be overrated. In my opinion. I don't see how someone can say they like something that is somewhat "underground" and say it's overrated. Everybody knows who 2pac is. Everybody knows what vanilla ice cream and pizza hut is. Dilla's relatively unknown.

Haha it's all good brotha ! I wasn't trying to chew you out, I probably shoulda put a lol at the end of it

"Why is J. Dilla so overrated?"

"HUDSON MOHAWKE is lightyears ahead of him."

"Would he even be getting love if he were alive?"

No matter how you slice it, that's hate. I'm not offended or mad at you personally, nor am I female, although I know plenty of women who have more backbone than to diss somebody who is dead on the internet. It wasn't a shot at YOU specifically so much as the fact that parents don't raise their kids right anymore I guess. I'd just like to know where on Earth it's acceptable for somebody to anonymously go online and run their mouth about somebody who really raised up THEIR OWN art form AFTER the person passes on. Talk about internet thuggin'. There are dozens of other kids like you on FP, this particular case just got under my skin. Don't take it personally.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue pointlessly, I just wanted to interject on courtesy's behalf. I mean, I LIKE you and everything, but you come off as obnoxious, immature and egotistical. But I still LIKE you, so it's not hate, right?

I have hundreds of Dilla songs and beats and most of them are pretty abstract.

because most of them are one sequence MPC 3000 loops. This is like saying 2Pac is wack because his last album (15 years after he died and bad remixes of bad recordings or one of the 200 Makeveli songs when only like 12 made the cut for the album he was still alive to direct).

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

just read the whole thread. Donuts came out two days before he died. look it up. If it was three days or you still don't believe me I don't care.

Would've Donuts been as tight if he wasn't dieing or if he lived? Would've Ray been Best Picture if Ray Charles lived. Would've I hooked up with that one honey if she wasn't high and liked my love freestyle?

I don't care.

So the rule is: if a person is dead you have to think they're the best and never say anything bad about them?
**** that
Say what you want about anybody you want dead or alive
I think micheal Jackson was ****in weird and his death aint change shit

So the rule is: if a person is dead you have to think they're the best and never say anything bad about them?
**** that
Say what you want about anybody you want dead or alive
I think micheal Jackson was ****in weird and his death aint change shit

EXACTLY ! Renaissance31 is mad and being a little girl because everyone doesn't dick ride her hero like she does. SMH...how lame can you get

@ The thread topic. . .I say the same thing about Dj Premier. "Unbelievable" and that track he did for Ludacris recently I've never heard anything else from him that I liked. I'm not trying to force my OP on anyone, but I've heard tighter shit. And to be honest. . .Pete Rock and Premo in a battle. . . .lets not go there.

I think J. Dilla is the shit. . .Not the best.

Dr. Dre ain't either.

I've heard more people say Timbaland is the best. . . .When it comes to how his music sounds. . .PHUCK NO. When it comes to how many hits he put out. . . Yeah he is up there.

Back