Why do rappers act like like?

PBoy! good ish.

Rappers act like that because they figure that you would like the honor of having them lace one of your songs with their incredible, super-pyroclastic flow.

They also figure that since you're accessible, that the can haggle you down on your price. It's a form of disrespect. They wouldn't think about approaching a "star" level producer with that mentality.

I don't really work with rappers (because I make music at my house and I don't let many people come to my house).

The only thing I would've done differently is I would tell the "rapper" up front what my prices were before they tried to schedule a meet up. I'd also let them know that I'm flexible on the price depending on how much work / time is involved but there is a price and I'd tell them my low price (the price that would make working with them worth my time - or the lowest price I'm willing to let go of a beat for).

I'd let them run that around in their head and if they were cool with it, I'd let them know when we can meet.

I'd also have firm prices set on the music. 50 Cent said Dr. Dre operates like that - he said Dre has some $10,000 beats and some $25,000 beats and some $50,000 beats - you pick what you can afford. I guess you could have a website with tabs and different price ranges and they can skim those before they try to waste your time with a meeting.

So when the guy said he had $30, you could've said here's what I have for $30 and it would be an 808 and a clap (no hi hats).... you could send him to a website to check out the $30 tab, lol. The page would say "Under $50" and it could have stuff like a metronome and nothing else, one kick with snaps, etc.

The scenario that played out in the vid is the main reason I don't "waste" time with rappers.

Rappers don't have the mindset producers have, producers know that their thing is pay to play. You have to buy gear to even enjoy what you're doing. Rappers just need pen and paper.... or an iphone.

Aye, how did you do that cartoon? I want to try my hand at it.

Last edited:
No doubt! and I totally agree with you, I don't like having rappers up in my house either! haha

This is a promo for a mixtape I am putting out later this month. I drew everything, scanned it in, coloring in illustrator, then pieced the photos together in Sony Vegas, but you can use any video editing program you want. Recorded all the vocals and such in Ableton Live. More is and will be on thelifeandtimesofreggie.com Thanks for watching.

want to....see it....but no sound!

I'm still with the notion that selling random rappers beats is the least beneficial route for a producer...gotta find the right investment. Matter of harnessed talent, and the dedication to push it!

probably goes without saying on here by now (probably were i first got the idea! lol!)

Last edited:
PBoy! good ish.

So when the guy said he had $30, you could've said here's what I have for $30 and it would be an 808 and a clap (no hi hats).... you could send him to a website to check out the $30 tab, lol. The page would say "Under $50" and it could have stuff like a metronome and nothing else, one kick with snaps, etc.

Man Rome I was sitting here sipping on some lemonade and also most spit it out on my laptop from laffing.

Last edited:
I kid you not...I am doing some work at this lil studio for a friend of a friend, so I went in for a session about an hour and a half ago, and hour later, nobody shows. The dude calls him, they got pulled over and his friend is about to go to jail. Making an episode now.....

"Man I got 500 Twitter followers...when I'm on, you on!" LMFAO @ the bloodshot eyes.

PBoy! good ish.

Rappers act like that because they figure that you would like the honor of having them lace one of your songs with their incredible, super-pyroclastic flow.

They also figure that since you're accessible, that the can haggle you down on your price. It's a form of disrespect. They wouldn't think about approaching a "star" level producer with that mentality.

I don't really work with rappers (because I make music at my house and I don't let many people come to my house).

The only thing I would've done differently is I would tell the "rapper" up front what my prices were before they tried to schedule a meet up. I'd also let them know that I'm flexible on the price depending on how much work / time is involved but there is a price and I'd tell them my low price (the price that would make working with them worth my time - or the lowest price I'm willing to let go of a beat for).

I'd let them run that around in their head and if they were cool with it, I'd let them know when we can meet.

I'd also have firm prices set on the music. 50 Cent said Dr. Dre operates like that - he said Dre has some $10,000 beats and some $25,000 beats and some $50,000 beats - you pick what you can afford. I guess you could have a website with tabs and different price ranges and they can skim those before they try to waste your time with a meeting.

The scenario that played out in the vid is the main reason I don't "waste" time with rappers.

Rappers don't have the mindset producers have, producers know that their thing is pay to play. You have to buy gear to even enjoy what you're doing. Rappers just need pen and paper.... or an iphone.

Aye, how did you do that cartoon? I want to try my hand at it.

Rome that's the way to be don't allow rappers into your home residence
when I start to record artists this summer I'll be meeting them @ a neutral place
and then when I "build" not just set up a room but "pro" level home studio such as the ones on this site
I'll make sure the house I buy next year has a walk out basement which means I can bring my artists to my home and not having them all through my home
but I'm dealing with bethren so it's not about worrying about stealing it's more about keeping my business area seperated from my family area
here a article on studio security here

Man Rome I was sitting here sipping on some lemonade and also most spit it out on my laptop from laffing.

It would have prank beats... like just a metronome and some body saying "aye!" (off beat)

At first they'll probably say, "wtf is this?" ... then hopefully they'll have the smarts to get the picture.

Back