Why Being a Hip-Hop Producer Sucks

Griffin Avid

Media Editor
Not sure if this has been posted or discussed here before...
Source: https://medium.com/thoughts-about-music/bbbf2e777ff

After what seemed like an endless stream of promotional hype, 50 Cent’s Animal Ambition, finally hit stores and streaming outlets yesterday (June 3). His fifth official studio record, it comes almost a full five years after his last LP was released, and if it sounds a little dated, that’s probably because it is.In a series of interviews at XXLMag.com, the producers who worked on the album described what went into making each song. The overarching theme is that very few of them knew what was going on with the project until it was actually time for it to be released. Over the course of five years, one of the producers had given up on making records altogether.

According to the interviews, Charli Brown Beatz made the track for “Don’t Worry Bout It” in 2008, sent it to 50 in 2009, and didn’t hear the song until it was on the radio in March. Another producer, Frank Dukes, who made the track for “Hold On,” had sent over the instrumental five years ago, and wasn’t aware of the song’s existence until 8-9 months ago. Steve Alien’s beat for “Everytime I Come Around” is also roughly five-years-old.; so old, in fact, that by the time 50's label came calling he had ditched beatmaking, and couldn’t even find the files.

The decentralization of the recording business has been good for many things, but it’s been particularly bad for record producers. The hip-hop genre has been affected more than most. Many hip-hop beatmakers craft their beats on their own, then send them out as instrumentals or half-completed ideas— occasionally with demoed choruses on them— in hopes that an artist will like the tracks and record songs to them.

Advancements in recording technology have put the power of entire recording studios inside of a laptop, allowing artists to make records on their own, without any input from the producer i.e. the person who made the music. The songs get finished, cataloged in a folder or on an iTunes playlist, and filed away until they’re ready to be released.
The producer doesn’t know the fate of the song until the very last minute, when the artist’s reps either call to due their due diligence— pay for the beat, get the files so they can mix the finished record— or worse, when they hear it on the radio or the internet.

So what happens is that the producer has no control over his/her material, and is essentially at the mercy of the artist. If it’s someone like 50 Cent, whose career is very calculated and might not release an album without the proper set up, the producer is left waiting in the wings until the album is released. Their material has been used, but they don’t get paid until the very last second. In this case, they’re waiting five years.

Now historically 50 Cent has worked with a lot of new producers, and having a beat on one of his LPs— at least in his earlier years— could be life-altering. Outside of the producer fee itself, it could lead to a song deal, publishing deal, maybe work with another artist. 50 Cent is far from the industry’s most trendsetting artist these days, but he’s still 50 Cent. People are undoubtedly paying attention and to work with someone of his caliber is still great for discography-building.

But 50 Cent lucked out in that the beats he wanted from these producers were still available. And there are probably songs that 50 tried to put on the album’s final tracklist that he couldn’t, because the producers sold the beats to someone else, or worse, couldn’t even find the source files.

That’s to say nothing of the hundreds of songs that he recorded in the five year span between this LP and his last, songs that are now sitting idly on a hard drive somewhere, the producers of them still toiling away night after night, never knowing that they had a 50 Cent song somewhere under the belt.

This scenario repeats itself endlessly in hip-hop, with rappers who are signed to labels amassing huge catalogs of songs to beats they’ve never paid for. The producers have to just bide their time, cross their fingers and hope someone at a company finds it within reason to give the green light for an artist’s project to come out. Then, they need to hope their song makes it onto the final tracklist. It’s a nail-biting experience, and unless you’re sitting on some money, it’s hardly sustainable. If luck is on your side, one day you get a random call about some beat you emailed to an artist or his A&R rep five years ago, and you’re in business. Otherwise, you’re entire career is working on spec.

The music industry has always been a place where the unexpected happens— entertainment industries are like that; one day the phone magically rings and your life can change— but right now it’s the real wild west. If you’re looking to plan out your music career, it’s impossibly difficult. You’ll just have to cross your fingers and hope something sticks.

Paul Cantor is a writer, editor and music producer based in New York. Formerly an editor at AOL Music, his writing has appeared at Rolling Stone, MTV News, VICE and Billboard, among others outlets. Throughout his 10-year career he’s written/produced records for dozens of artists and provided creative services to brands like Disney, the CW Network, Verizon, Converse and HBO. His commentary has been tapped by the likes of CNN and Al Jazeera, and a selection of his recent work can be found HERE.

A stable career is best. Don't wait for the phone to ring... it might get cut off if nothing happens soon enough.

My pessimistic FP attitude is only a vent for the alter-attitude I have about life in general. Don't blue sky everything as your birthdays pass...

Get real.

For those old and new to producing, keep a stable 9 to 5. Poverty is not an option nor an acceptable lifestyle.

Last edited:
Speaking of shitty opportunities these days for producers, whatever happened to Polow Da Don? I thought he was gonna be the next super producer.

Lol I remember I sent something to G-Unit on some **** it, it'll never make it...and they called me, and I didnt answer the got damn phone!

I checked my messages and it was Tony G from the G-Unit, like send some more beats! Still never made a placement tho. After while I just chalked it up. I may check his twitter from time to time to see if he's looking for joints. After reading a couple similar stories to this about G-Unit, I just said **** it sending them something is like playing lottery at this point.

Free Work Has No Value. -- Wendy Day

See, these rappers and labels aren't losing anything. They don't have to hurry up and use your beats. They can just sit on them for 5 years and piss over them.

Why? BECAUSE IT COSTS THEM NOTHING TO DO SO!!!

That's why i stopped working under that model. I'm not about to sit around, do 100 beats, and send them to people, in "hopes" that someone will call me.

F That.

That's basically working on 100% commission.

I stopped working under that model back in 2012.

Now if you want some work from me, you have to PAY ME 50% UP FRONT. The remaining 50% is due upon delivery.

I'm not going to be in the studio for months and months on end, busting my ass, sending people free tracks, in HOPES that they will use them. That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

You're coming to me because you want what I do. You already value what I do. So value what I do by putting some dollars on it.

I don't even turn on my equipment until that 50% deposit hits my account. If you don't like it, then go work with someone else.

And I've made 10x more money than I did with the old "Crop Duster" model.

I'm glad I chose the indie route.
I get my $$$$$$, create opportunities and work with a lot of people. (Online and in person)
Plus I have a fair amount of control over what can be done with my music.

A lot of these cats that are chasing bigger name placements stay waiting to "get on".

I can't do it.

It definitely has its advantages tho if you do ever get picked up so I ain't knocking it. Bragging rights, Name leverage, etc...

If it happens - it happens.

But I ain't waiting around for handouts tho...

Free Work Has No Value. -- Wendy Day

See, these rappers and labels aren't losing anything. They don't have to hurry up and use your beats. They can just sit on them for 5 years and piss over them.

Why? BECAUSE IT COSTS THEM NOTHING TO DO SO!!!

That's why i stopped working under that model. I'm not about to sit around, do 100 beats, and send them to people, in "hopes" that someone will call me.

F That.

That's basically working on 100% commission.

I stopped working under that model back in 2012.

Now if you want some work from me, you have to PAY ME 50% UP FRONT. The remaining 50% is due upon delivery.

I'm not going to be in the studio for months and months on end, busting my ass, sending people free tracks, in HOPES that they will use them. That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

You're coming to me because you want what I do. You already value what I do. So value what I do by putting some dollars on it.

I don't even turn on my equipment until that 50% deposit hits my account. If you don't like it, then go work with someone else.

And I've made 10x more money than I did with the old "Crop Duster" model.

That's how it should be.

You gotta put your foot down, because if you don't noone will ever respect
what you do.

That producer (hoe)/ artist (pimp) relationship is the way it is because
producers allow that shit to happen.

That's how it should be.

You gotta put your foot down, because if you don't noone will ever respect
what you do.

That producer (hoe)/ artist (pimp) relationship is the way it is because
producers allow that shit to happen.

I refuse to do that shit anymore. My time is valuable.

Imagine if I told an artist (singer/rapper) to write and record 10 songs for me, send them, and let me choose which one I want to go on my beat.

They'd look at me like I had 6 heads!

And artist is like "you have to pay me to come to your studio and lay a song for you...you don't get a choice, you take what I give you".

I'm exactly the same way...

You pay me to come to my studio to make a track for you. I'm not making 10 tracks. We are working on ONE track, and we're gonna work on it until we get it to where you want it to be.

If you don't like it, then go to soundclick and download some free beats.

I refuse to do that shit anymore. My time is valuable.

Imagine if I told an artist (singer/rapper) to write and record 10 songs for me, send them, and let me choose which one I want to go on my beat.

They'd look at me like I had 6 heads!

And artist is like "you have to pay me to come to your studio and lay a song for you...you don't get a choice, you take what I give you".

I'm exactly the same way...

You pay me to come to my studio to make a track for you. I'm not making 10 tracks. We are working on ONE track, and we're gonna work on it until we get it to where you want it to be.

If you don't like it, then go to soundclick and download some free beats.

Well there's trying to make a living off of selling beats and then there's making a living off of providing a music SERVICE...

Well there's trying to make a living off of selling beats and then there's making a living off of providing a music SERVICE...

Which is what I use to differentiate myself in the local market.

It ain't just about beats. It's sound quality. Professionalism. Proficiency.

My clients get these $20 beats and come to my spot and pay me more than they paid the "producer", because I know how to put the RECORD together.

And even with that, I'm finally starting to get some traction in CONSULTING...grooming clients on how to build a solid foundation...from the ground up.

It's just one key piece missing...that $100M piece...I gotta figure out what it is.

Last edited:
Interesting read... interesting also is the fact that I was very unimpressed overall with the production on Animal Ambition... It's an "oh-well" type of thing when producing for a major artist such as 50 Cent imo.

There's no point in complaining at least some of you get paid.
That's a terrible argument. Its like saying "well hey a school got shot up but only 3 children survived so stop bitching" You shouldn't have to work for free the problem is that the hip hop industry is set up where everyone does work and hopes for a payout eventually. No other genre in music would put up with half of the shit hip hop producers do and even if they do get paid it likely won't help your career any because there are no more linear notes in albums. Dope ass producers are being slept on because they got the wrong mind set. More so now than ever it should be **** you pay me and nothing less.

Back