Why Being a Hip-Hop Producer Sucks

Posts like these are great to get out of your "box". Aka, knowing what not to do. Sending songs and files to artists that already made it, is great, but shouldn't be your go to way of marketing yourself.

If your just selling beats, you may want to rethink your position in the music game, you need to be multi talented in mixing/songwriting/instrument/singing. Don't have to he awesome in all of those but hopefully you are in a few...
Your best shot at getting a placement is working with someone underground. Put out great stuff that may or may not make it, but it draws attention. If you can draw attention to your production, that's way more productive than sitting home waiting for an email from a top name artist who will probably never open your song.
Sit down and come up with ideas, plans. It's not just about making music, it's about having an idea, a vision and following it. Having one and then reinventing yourself as you go.
You cant just do one thing and expect results. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
Think outside the box!

Are you saying that other genres don't work for free? If that's what you are saying, I would disagree. How many rock bands are out there doing stuff for free just to be heard. The industry is the industry and all of us are trying to make it in the same way.
Now, I would say hip hop is a little different bc you can have some random producer on an album that no one has ever of. Hip Hop I feel gives more chances to the masses bc it's so diverse. Not saying you should be working for free all the time. If you are, there's a problem. But there is nothing wrong w taking a shot, especially if it'll make great contacts, sometime you have to bite the bullet and remember you make music bc you love it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
on-demand...

True...but Apple and Spotify are about to have that covered real soon. And that requires a deal with the majors. I ain't got that kind of clout.

Needs to be something that caters to the people MAKING the music. Everyone is so concerned with the people consuming the music, that the market segment of people making all of this music that people are consuming goes completely neglected.

I gotta come up with something...

This whole "e-mailing records & hoping it places" stuff is not the way. I meet a lot of producers who shy away from the Soundclick, selling beats online route because they're busy hammering away at keys & pads all day crafting beats to send to artists who put the word out on social media that they're "looking for beats, please email them here". Nothing is wrong with either, but why do only one? If you make music as a hobbyist then there is no room for complaining, but if not then why not maximize your revenue potential?

If your just selling beats, you may want to rethink your position in the music game, you need to be multi talented in mixing/songwriting/instrument/singing. Don't have to he awesome in all of those but hopefully you are in a few...
Your best shot at getting a placement is working with someone underground. Put out great stuff that may or may not make it, but it draws attention. If you can draw attention to your production, that's way more productive than sitting home waiting for an email from a top name artist who will probably never open your song.
Sit down and come up with ideas, plans. It's not just about making music, it's about having an idea, a vision and following it. Having one and then reinventing yourself as you go.
You cant just do one thing and expect results. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
Think outside the box!

^^^^^
THIS - Don't limit yourself and your business model to just one facet of music. Best advice I got of 2014 was to diversify myself and it has paid off immensely for me. If you have the ability to be a recording engineer, mix engineer, mastering engineer, instrumentalist for hire, songwriter, arranger, or even make your own records, DO IT! It's only going to result in more $ in your pocket.

Don't forget that at the end of the day, being a producer is a high-level sales job that relies heavily on your ability to build relationships with your clientele of both major status & independent artists.

True...but Apple and Spotify are about to have that covered real soon. And that requires a deal with the majors. I ain't got that kind of clout.

Needs to be something that caters to the people MAKING the music. Everyone is so concerned with the people consuming the music, that the market segment of people making all of this music that people are consuming goes completely neglected.

I gotta come up with something...

Yes of course I'm referring to on-demand in the "creative" side of the business...in football knowing when to call that play-action pass at the right time gives you a high chance of putting 6 on the scoreboard

Don't limit yourself and your business model to just one facet of music. Best advice I got of 2014 was to diversify myself and it has paid off immensely for me. If you have the ability to be a recording engineer, mix engineer, mastering engineer, instrumentalist for hire, songwriter, arranger, or even make your own records, DO IT! It's only going to result in more $ in your pocket.

Agree! When you expand your skill sets you by default decrease your competition. Does a record label take only one approach to promoting an artist's new album? Never, so why should you?

Hip hop producers must be great.

No need to sign deals, stay freelance and live off demand
Free to take as much time as you like with making beats and send it out
Stay behind the scene, without fear of paparazzi or people snatching yo chain
More private life than singers/rappers
You wont be forced to uphold an image (thats propably fake anyway)

Theres more things that I could imaging makes it great to be a producer

Last edited:
All I know is that if Mannie Fresh aint eating, the current model is flawed.

Last edited:
All I know is that if Mannie Fresh aint eating, the current model is flawed.

Mannie Fresh still ain't changed his damn sound.

He had some bangers on that one vid where Mystikal was in the Porsche snappin... but that one recent track that he did (i forgot for which rapper), sounds EXACTLY like a "standard" Mannie Fresh joint.

I fail to understand why producers don't "update" their sound.

Plus Mannie fresh had that gig with Def Jam.

I got a call from over seas today, saying they wanted me to produce and write for an artist, and then they asked me to just send them a gang of tracks/songs until they "like one".

Nah bruh. It costs money to produce all those tracks for your artist, and who's to say you're gonna like ANY of them?

So nah. You cut me that 50% deposit, and then I customize and fine tune a song to your specifications, until we get EXACTLY what you want.

That's like asking someone to come and remodel your kitchen, and tell them to keep doing different styles, and then when they get one that you like, then you'll pay for it.

Mannie Fresh still ain't changed his damn sound.

He had some bangers on that one vid where Mystikal was in the Porsche snappin... but that one recent track that he did (i forgot for which rapper), sounds EXACTLY like a "standard" Mannie Fresh joint.

I fail to understand why producers don't "update" their sound.

Plus Mannie fresh had that gig with Def Jam.

These youngins aint heard Mannie's extensive discography. It would be a new sound compared to what's currently being recycled the last couple of years.

Producers just need to band together and eliminate the frauds selling beats at crackhead prices and fight against the A&R's, artists and record labels. We need to not let a single instrumental go for under 1000$ from the bat, no free downloads and no hosting online.
Make all the beat hosting websites shut down and revert to how it was pre Soundclick.

That's the only way, who's with me?

being a producer starting from the bottom can be hella aggravating…But like someone said,waaaay less stressful than being a rapper…

I got a call from over seas today, saying they wanted me to produce and write for an artist, and then they asked me to just send them a gang of tracks/songs until they "like one".

Nah bruh. It costs money to produce all those tracks for your artist, and who's to say you're gonna like ANY of them?

So nah. You cut me that 50% deposit, and then I customize and fine tune a song to your specifications, until we get EXACTLY what you want.

That's like asking someone to come and remodel your kitchen, and tell them to keep doing different styles, and then when they get one that you like, then you'll pay for it.

This is silly because they could pay you the 50% and the track you make could turn out wack/they might not like it.

If they are already interested, then half of the battle is already won. You send them something, they like it and you get paid, if not then nobody loses anything. What's wrong with that?

re

Mannie stays pretty busy, it might be more behind the scenes than most people see, but either way he one of the best ever. His skill set is way beyond the average pro.

These youngins aint heard Mannie's extensive discography. It would be a new sound compared to what's currently being recycled the last couple of years.

This is silly because they could pay you the 50% and the track you make could turn out wack/they might not like it.

See, this is where the difference between a BEATMAKER and PRODUCER comes into play.

I sit down with them and get all of their ideas for what they want the song to sound like. Then I create my take on what they've said. If they don't like it, we sit down, talk about what changes they think need to be made, and then I go back into the studio to revise...

This process continues until they get exactly what they are looking for.

I'm working with a client now. When they contracted me, they paid me half for the project up front. I spoke to her, got all her ideas for what she wanted the song to sound like, then I set out to create it.

First draft, I missed the mark.

So I revised it. It was closer to what she wanted. By the 3rd revision, it was pretty much 90% of what she wanted. Then she got some more creative ideas, and I incorporated those, and we then revised those ideas.

That's what producers do. Make the artists vision come to life. Not just throw shots in the dark, hoping something goes in.

The record will be out next week.

If they are already interested, then half of the battle is already won. You send them something, they like it and you get paid, if not then nobody loses anything. What's wrong with that?

Do you know how long it takes to create a full song? I'm not about to sit here and spend weeks creating song after song specifically for their artist, only for them to say "no, we don't like that".

What happens at the end of 1 month when my mortgage is due, and they haven't accepted anything I've sent them yet??

Someone can't call a kitchen remodeler and tell them "come in my kitchen and just give me something that looks great...I'll pay you if and when I like it".

That man needs to be paid for the work he's doing, and so do I.

If anyone doesn't like it, then they can go troll Soundclick until they find something that they like.

Last edited:
See, this is where the difference between a BEATMAKER and PRODUCER comes into play.

I sit down with them and get all of their ideas for what they want the song to sound like. Then I create my take on what they've said. If they don't like it, we sit down, talk about what changes they think need to be made, and then I go back into the studio to revise...

This process continues until they get exactly what they are looking for.

I'm working with a client now. When they contracted me, they paid me half for the project up front. I spoke to her, got all her ideas for what she wanted the song to sound like, then I set out to create it.

First draft, I missed the mark.

So I revised it. It was closer to what she wanted. By the 3rd revision, it was pretty much 90% of what she wanted. Then she got some more creative ideas, and I incorporated those, and we then revised those ideas.

That's what producers do. Make the artists vision come to life. Not just throw shots in the dark, hoping something goes in.

The record will be out next week.

Do you know how long it takes to create a full song? I'm not about to sit here and spend weeks creating song after song specifically for their artist, only for them to say "no, we don't like that".

What happens at the end of 1 month when my mortgage is due, and they haven't accepted anything I've sent them yet??

Someone can't call a kitchen remodeler and tell them "come in my kitchen and just give me something that looks great...I'll pay you if and when I like it".

That man needs to be paid for the work he's doing, and so do I.

If anyone doesn't like it, then they can go troll Soundclick until they find something that they like.

Chuuuurch!

Back