White Rappers, why?

Pumpthrust

I just listened to Rittz's song White Rapper. Shit is nice, I like his flow and his lyrics are on point, but..........
Something started to bug me, not just about this song, but about this weird trend with white emcees where their first, if not one of their first few singles is a song about their struggle with being a "white rapper". It seems like ever since Eminem broke the mold in the mainstream as a credible hiphop solo artist, every white rapper since him (with the exception of a few, mostly female), has to write a track about how they're not just another Eminem clone. Haystak did it, Bubba did it, fuccin' Asher Roth did it, it wouldn't surprise me if Macklemore made one, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're the first to break a color barrier, every one that comes in the door after you is going to be compared to you. So they have to make a point to set themselves apart.

When you're the first to break a color barrier, every one that comes in the door after you is going to be compared to you. So they have to make a point to set themselves apart.
I get that aspect of it, but shouldn't the content and the persona of the emcee speak for itself, though?
Then again, how many times have I been mistaken for something I am not just because of my skin color.....

I think it is them just trying to make a statement on the basis of color, kind of an, "I am different so listen to me" kind of thing.

Beastie Boys broke that barrier decades ago and not once did they draw attention to the color of their skin, they proved their worth by creating music and rhymes that stand the test of time because they were just that good. Anyone who tries to draw attention on the basis of color is probably not worth listening to.

Now in saying that I do realize that both Classified and R.A. the Rugged Man have made statements along the same lines in songs which were more hit and quit lines than dwelling on it in any real way so I see that differently.

The idea of a white rapper is much more acceptable today than it was
before... i don't see the point of those songs in 2014 either.

I can look at Eminem, Asher Roth, Action Bronson and Yelawolf
and see them as completely different artists.

White rappers aren't seen as "wiggas", for lack of a better word,
in 2014, since a lot of them genuinely grew up in ****ed up
neighborhoods or grew up heavily listening and being influenced
by hip-hop culture.

So yea, i don't get it either... atleast not at this stage.

Beastie Boys broke that barrier decades ago and not once did they draw attention to the color of their skin, they proved their worth by creating music and rhymes that stand the test of time because they were just that good. Anyone who tries to draw attention on the basis of color is probably not worth listening to.

I was going to say the same thing. The only rappers that I've heard that bring race into the equation are almost always wack.

Eminem was compared to the Beastie Boys and Vanilla Ice, all these new mainstream cats get compared to Eminem. Thats how it goes, because the mainstream isnt into HipHop. So they dont know what a big influence white people (especially jewish for some reason, Rick Rubin for example) had on the Music and Culture itself.

You got a lot of white rappers that are at least as long in the game as the Beasties or Eminem: R.A. The Rugged Man, Vinnie Paz of Jedi Mind Tricks, Ill Bill, Necro, 3rd Bass, House Of Pain.

Last edited:
I feel that White rappers making songs about their Whiteness in the current era of Hip Hop is just as much schtick as when Black Gangsta rappers made songs about their "hardness."

Selling a record is about providing the right kind of stimulus, how many 'white' teenage kids across the globe love rap music, and how many rhyme off every word to their favorite tracks, sadly this kind of thing wrongly fathers misconceptions around racial stereotyping, is he targeting the empathetic 'square' white kid rapper wannabes suffering in a dominantly black world of hip hop? Maybe it's the new 50's but in reverse ;)= Chuck vs Elvis? Just kidding those days are definitely confined to the annals of music history.

Last edited:
Back to the white rapper song.. Listen the lyrics again... Hes talking bout his influences growing up and even says he agrees with lord jamar bout white rappers being guests and paying his respect to those who paved the way fir him,... This isnt ur typical " look at me im white and i can rap without sounding wack " song

Dont listen to any of the artists u mentioned, but i dont understand why u would compare yourself to eminem just cuz ur white. There are shitloads of white rappers nowadays and alot of them are way doper than eminem

Back