When it comes to hip hop, I hate brass sounds

gescajadillo

Does everyone else feel the same? Who else feels hesitant to listen to another 2 Chainz track or any sound that's overused. Time to use some different VST's i guess...

Don't generalize about all horns based on some bad VST patches that somehow get used regularly today. In the context of something jazzy or boom-bap, they can sound great, imo.

I hate when ppl call hip-hop music
when HIP-HOP is a culture
and
rap is the music

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
i dont think its brass you hate, just watered down instrumentals. yeah that south sound is still the most pop on the radio...but things come and go...i feel like electronic music is merging more into hip hop than anything else.

there r PLENTY of great hip hop songs with brass tho...cmon

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

ur splitting hairs, hip hop "culture" is ....subject to change. like all culture. smell me? (and im tyalkin touigh bc I do talk tough and I DO do tough things) think about it

i dont think its brass you hate, just watered down instrumentals. yeah that south sound is still the most pop on the radio...but things come and go...i feel like electronic music is merging more into hip hop than anything else.

there r PLENTY of great hip hop songs with brass tho...cmon

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

ur splitting hairs, hip hop "culture" is ....subject to change. like all culture. smell me? (and im tyalkin touigh bc I do talk tough and I DO do tough things) think about it

hmmm...I lost you around the bold red words

and I'm not splitting hairs
hip-hop is the culture
and rap is the music

the main elements of the hip-hop culture is
1. Break dancing
2. Rapping
3. Graffiti art
4. DJing
5. Beatboxing

I'm like - whatever sound compliments the track. Period.

If I'm making a beat and that brass needs to get added to add that triumphant sound to it - well, you know what happens.. #Boom #HereComesTheKing lol

I mostly hear the soundfont brass that alotta people use, and don't tweak.. other than that, I have No Problem with brass. Alot of good songs were made with brass sounds, even if real subtle, I could draw up a long list of classic hip hop song with brass, but I'm not going to.

Hip-Hop is actually referencing the music. "Rap" is an industry term. Hip-Hop later on encompassed the "culture" as far as B-Boying and Tagging. "Rap" back in the day used to mean you had the gift of gab. That's where the term originally came from and was corrupted by media as usual.

Hip-Hop is actually referencing the music. "Rap" is an industry term. Hip-Hop later on encompassed the "culture" as far as B-Boying and Tagging. "Rap" back in the day used to mean you had the gift of gab. That's where the term originally came from and was corrupted by media as usual.

Rap is the standard term now. Things change. Get over it.

yo gotti - thats whats up, boyz n da hood - trap niggas, c-murder - down for my niggas, young jeezy - trap or die..... just a few examples of how brass can be one of the best things on a hip hop beat

I honestly don't care for the default brass sounds either,and im from the south so i can imagine how ppl elsewhere feel.

I honestly don't care for the default brass sounds either,and im from the south so i can imagine how ppl elsewhere feel.
yea soundfont and vst brass is no good... but triton, motif, fantom have some great bass patches that sound real nice and full it also depends on how you play it layer it etc.

Brass sounds are good when used for good hip hop.
It's just "2 Chainz" producers and what ever put a bad name on brass sounds.
I like them because they add phatness to the sound when used at a low octave.

"You don't receive success, you achieve success" Unique Music at this website!
Hear something different for a change. Download Music!
Beats & Instrumentals | D-Funkdafied Music - Buy Beats | Hip Hop Instrumentals | Beats for Sale | Download Music | Sound-Ware
precisely what i was getting at

man brass was just as much a boom bap thing as a trap thing, it's all over those old jazz funk and soul records people sampled/sample now.

Back