Whats the difference between uk hip hop and grime?

Afroman2010

This question is mainly addressed to people from the UK as I doubt many Americans know what grime is?

I've been trying to find an answer on what differences these two genres have. Some people say it's the beat, some say the flow and others say lyrics.

Can someone please clearly define them for me?

I'm european and I'm not 100% certain but how I understand it it's :

1 UK rap - rap music made by an Uk artists. It can be underground, Pop rap, Hardcore, Concious ect. Basical yit jsut tells you what country the music belongs to

2 Grime ; a genre within rap in the uk. Hard to put my finger on it but just google the word grime. It's like a less ghetto version of American "Trap". Basicaly it's more on the hard side of rap. It's street. Like the adverb itself describes it, it's grimy.

Uk people feel free to corect me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought grime was hip hop with heavy dubstep influence.

I thought dubstep was the evolution of grime instrumentals. I didn't know what the genre was called when I was jammin some of it back in 2001 - 2003. But it was mixes being sold in the ATL at Jamaican music stores. I LOVED THE SHIT.....I mean the stuff that sounded like dancehall. But I can't speak deep about it since I only listened and like that side of it. I think there is a larger side of grime......that I probably don't like.

U.K hip hop? I don't know what that is. I'm guessing it's no different than U.S hip hop but with a different accent.

Hell....I didn't know the names of artists......but the flows back then were ridiculous!!!! The beats were just disgustingly filthy. It's a shame I do a search and grime sounds like some U.S southern shit today. EVERY GOT DAMN THING SOUNDS LIKE TRAP SHIT TODAY!! Wish I could find some shit I was jammin.....shit went too damn hard!!!! Nothing on youtube going in like those dudes I had. Eminem would cry for momma verses those guys I was jammin.

Last edited:
Ive always heard its got to do with the way they spit, obviously the beat too though. I heard grime and dubstep started along side each other, they got out their through pirate radio stations. i actually used to listen to rinse FM all the time. im american by the way.

Last edited:
Grime is deliberately unpolished and off kilter whereas Hip Hop has become a lot more polished and refined, I would even go so far as to say Grime is to Hip Hop what Punk is to Rock 'N' Roll. The music is derived from genres like Garage, Drum 'N' Bass, Glitch, etc, that would also culminate into what we know as Dubstep.

Thank you for the replies and I agree with most of the replies in this thread. I can finally use this as evidence to my bro that there is a difference between hip hop and grime. He was saying there is no difference whereas I thought the beat and the way they rap is different.

Last edited:
Back