What U Think About FULL SAIL?(Music School)

twanbeatmaker

Im going to attend Full sail university in Florida coming up in late May . what do yall think about it ??? alot o GREAT producer/engineers came from that school . Do you think i got what it takes to Succeed There???

www.Twan-BeatMaker.com

Quoting from another Thread:

Honestly mate dont bother! ive got a BSc honors degree in Music Production. There are very little jobs out there and the opportunities are very sparse. Recording studios are closing left right and center and so are labels. If your gonna do a degree then do something else that has actual jobs in when u leave.

You dont need to go to music school to learn about music. Teach yourself and get a decent degree as a plan B!

do some reasearch and go ask that question on gearsluts.com where some industry dudes hang out...

Like it says above I have a Bachelor of Science in Music Production. If i could go back in time I would and im telling you now that I 100% WOULD NOT study music.

The opportunities that a degree in music production/engineering bring you are few and far between to say the least and it is getting worse very rapidly. By the time you graduate in 3 years time who knows what state the industry will be in.

What im saying is ive had first hand experience with this and im telling you its not a good idea at all.

This is my website - http://www.souluniquemusic.com/

Im on your side here mate... all im saying is you should seriously think about what a degree in music production or engineering will get you in the current and future state of the music industry. Yes 10 years ago it was worth it becouse there were a ton of studios you could work at. Now its a different story!

If its just a case of learning then teach yourself... If you wanna be engineer then get peoples music and practice mixing.. if you wanna produce keep practicing... degree/course in music wont help you in this industry now... unfortunately thats just the truth!

**** everyone here man. If music is what you love, then hit that school up.

You never stop learning.

@JonnyBongo Thanks , but i dont wanna just record at a sudio. i wanna do the mixing and mastering for movies , commercials , tv, all that need sound experts so i can do more then just record at a studio i wanna actually open up my own studio and teach other people later down the line .

Fair enough mate. If you plan on opening your own studio and being freelance then that is probably the best way to go. I was talking about getting a "job" in the industry. Good luck with it all :)

@JonnyBongo Thanks , but i dont wanna just record at a sudio. i wanna do the mixing and mastering for movies , commercials , tv, all that need sound experts so i can do more then just record at a studio i wanna actually open up my own studio and teach other people later down the line .

lol movies...commercials...everywhere you go they already have their own engineers with like 20 years experience...do you think they take some newbie from some school ?

own studio and teach other people ? thats exactly what I wanna do too but here's the thing. With every business you need a starting capital. Build studio...advertise etc. So the best thing would be to get your average college degree in lets say mechanical engineering earn some money and when you're older open up a business

Last edited:
lol movies...commercials...everywhere you go they already have their own engineers with like 20 years experience...do you think they take some newbie from some school ?

own studio and teach other people ? thats exactly what I wanna do too but here's the thing. With every business you need a starting capital. Build studio...advertise etc. So the best thing would be to get your average college degree in lets say mechanical engineering earn some money and when you're older open up a business

This is great advice!

this is nonsense. there are plenty of ways to make money off music and a degree certainly couldn't hurt you.

there are alot of washed up wannabes around on the internet that will tell you "turn back! there's nothing out there for you!" - but that is exactly the type of attitude that got them wherever they are today.

i pay my rent by recording/producing local artists in my home. i assistant engineer for 2 different successful local engineers and i intern at a very busy studio in Brooklyn.

it's not easy by any means but if you want it, it's there for you to take.
just don't expect to get rich in a week like half of these has-beens did.

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

let me also add that if i hadn't enrolled in a (read: REPUTABLE) music college, i would never have had HALF the networking opportunities in front of me that i now have, and i'm sorry but there is no WAY you are going to be able to teach yourself half of what i know from being there.

To anyone who thinks that, Good Luck.

You can teach yourself to be a half assed engineer. You can learn half - assed audio theory. You can learn half assed pro tools, half assed logic, half assed compression and half assed eq. But there is NO substitute for working under a real engineer. None.

Before the flood of music schools engineering was a craft that was passed down from master to apprentice (LIKE THE ****IN JEDI SON). That's why it was so exclusive.

Make no mistake, the audio engineer has NOT become obsolete with the onset of the digital information age. If anything, we have become MORE sought after than ever before. Good music is needed everywhere, it's flowing everywhere you go, and it's being downloaded, distributed, shared, and heard by millions.

The big bloated studios are becoming obsolete, yes.

But the engineer of today is an important guy.

The only task you need be concerned with is setting yourself apart from the mediocre.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

btw, soulja boy got rich off ringtones. and he was discovered on youtube.

just throwing that out there.

soulja boy. got rich. off ringtones.

soulja boy.

There is one big rule in life !!!
If you are one of the best you WILL get your $ !
If you have a mediocre degree...you will propably have some difficulties.
You will not only learn how to produce/mix/record etc. but one very very important thing is, that you will make GOOD connections and meet a lot of people, who know other people, who know...

Got it ?! So just one advice...if you start at FULL SAILS, dedicate your 3 years to this school as if you are breathing the stuff they teach !

Peace
KB

i appreciate that fam . so no jobs in the industry you dont think is open ??
Nahh dawg go to skool i go to loyola n they got an awesome program wit well connected teachers n i bet they got teachers thare who r dedicated to helpin u succeed so go man if not u got a better education and better prepared to actually go find a job

**** the industry shit.... start from the bottom and work up to the top...make your own ish, have industry artist come to yu....

Back