What are some good songs to sample from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkman12

I'm looking for some oldies/soul type songs to sample from. I have done the Jackson Five - I Want You Back song (I know it's been done, but I just wanted to do it) I have also done Have You Seen Her by the Chi-Lites. Also I was wondering if anyone knew what song is sampled from in Fat Joe's All I Need. Thanks in advance.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread/threadid/40721

Nuff people there to check, easier to scroll down the page a bit but linking is cool..heh.
Hit up www.HTFR.com as well, they got some Funk, Jazz an Blues you can sample.. you'll have to buy the LPs of course but theres nuff old school hits on that site, even though I don't like the company they are..dare I say.. pretty good:( that hurt belive me.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah...4get that site diggin lark.

Get ya knees dusty son!!!..and look for that rare s..t!!

I ain't trying to clown ya...but 80% of diggin is going out there and looking thru bargain bins/rekid fairs/moms and pops collection etc etc.

but if ya wanna search for names to sample:

Marva Whitney

Lynn Collins

Viki Anderson

Bobby Bryd

Herbie Hancock

These names are quite generic in the diggin world and that should start ya on ya way.

Theres loads more to look for but i ain't trying to give out those secrets yet.

:D

flareward said:

Get ya knees dusty son!!!..and look for that rare s..t!!

:D

True, it is the best way, nothing wrong with hitting the local record shop and chasing dust allergys. cool cause your local record shops need support and of course I'm biased cause I'm setting up one in my area:p

You may also need the contact information of the recording's owners, as well as HFA (Harry Fox Agency) for the mechanical license (actual music sheet, to clear even when you just make a "cover"). There's a ton of information in the Legal forum

Don't mean to be a party pooper :) that stuff will come handy in case you want to publish that stuff etc.

Hope this helps.

Rebel Music!!!

Ah good question, ASD, just got the building plans in as I logged on FP:p cost £900 but at least things are moving again..:victory:.. ... I'd post them if I knew how to link pictures from my scanner, i'll try another time.
Still, its tough for a new shop to get dusties, best way is to buy peoples throw aways which is definately gonna be part of the shop... I'll also be selling well priced studio equipment, DVDs and Games to keep things going, the main focus beign urban music, anything around and including hip hop.

Now heres why I get pissed of with where music is going right now, sometimes as BoutBeats mentioned I revert into 'the good ol' days' and moan about commerch music in general but its mainly because I have to stock that BS at the end of the day.. by owning a shop I'll fall into the same dilemma that those rap artists face in that I have to, partially, go with the pop (popular) flow...

E.g; Over here in the UK nuff cats are into Garage and Drum and Bass, now I'm not keen on stocking too much of that shyte but if lets say 60% of people are coming in asking for garage beats I can't do anything but fall to that demand and stock more, or I'll fade out.. what I hope to do is to break the barrier at some point and be the ultimate urban music store, catering for people who actually appreciate music, I don't want commerch BS taking up too much of my shelf space..but hey, there aint much I can do.... at the moment:D Least I can do is to check what others are saying, that way I can formulate some way around the problem rather than fall slave to mass demand.

I'm gonna try post this building plan, its nothing intresting really just an outline of what the shop front will look like, I can't post some of the other pictures cause they're not right yet.... give me a couple mins.

Peace

Yea... I have been producing for a lil while now. some good people to sample from that i found were James brown, delphonics, Marvin gaye, Jennifer Holiday, ect.... Soul music

You can sample all the popular records but its been done many times. Go out and find the rarest **** to sample from. Look in all kinds of records. I ain't gonna tell you where to look though and chances are other people wont either.

Peace

Get some classical records, those have lots of dope samples, also real obscure international records have dope sounds that no ones ever heard. Also with these types of records copywright laws aren't such a big deal.

showtunes, movie soundtracks and scores...

hell i've sampled from a how to use morse code record...

be creative, be patient.

i know what yall mean about the publishing...i have really crazy tracks (at least in my opinion) that sample "Bennie and the Jets" / Elton John, "In A Sentimental Mood" / John Coltrane, "Sara Smile" / Hall and Oates, "Brown-Eyed Girl" / Van Morrison. Of course without clearance, MySpace is the furthest they'll ever go. what you gotta do is go through Motown artists catalogs and then find out who inspired them, and then go through their catalog and find out who inspired them, and so on...that's how I got to Hall and Oates. I had never heard of them before until I found out they was (enter musician's name here)'s inspiration. it also depends on the sound you want, like if you want a J Dilla sound, like Common's "Love Is...", which samples Marvin Gaye's "God is Love", go through Marvin Gaye's WHOLE collection, not just the hits like Sexual Healing and Let's Get It On. those have been done before. digging is hard work, but when you get the treasure in the end, it's always worth it. Peace.

i love some old 70's soul music man, i grew up listening to it in my household when i was young from bee gees, stylistics, blue magic, the sylvers, etc. I was naturally bred into it, so when i first learned about how beats were being made i was like "hmmm so i can take the music i grew up listenin to...and turn into a hot azz beat? GOLD!" Every joint i sample i consider myself paying hommage to that artist.

its true...haha. hits come from things that no one has ever heard before, and if i get a sample like that, then i pop open FL and im on it. i would link yall to my mysapce but it wont let me yet. i guess i can try to get around it though. go to Myspace, slash, thaundeskribableswz. hopefully that works for those that want evidence of my digging.

im actually working on something in FL using the breakdown of "Stand!" by Sly and the Family Stone. If you guys could listen to thetrack on youtube or something nd give me any tips on how to make it better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back