Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is so special about rap music?

Thanks

What is so special about rap music?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Can someone tell me what the main reason why rap music is so interesting? How come everyone loves it so much? And what is the difference between hip hop and rap?

I am a student at the University of Little Rock in Arkansas, and my composition I assignment was to write about a musical genre that I do not normally listen to.
    And of course Rap is a genre that I do not listen to.

So can anyone please help me out with this?

Thanks for reading and considering.

CaRorie

Thanks
    Not sure why you think everyone likes Rap or Hip Hop, obviously it's not the only music that trends today.
    How did you come up with that conclusion?
    Music Producer & Mix Engineer , Los Angeles
    http://www.razklinghoffer.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Raz Klinghoffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hip-Hop used to be a culture that consisted of rap (rhythm and poetry) music, graffiti, DJ'ing, and several other things

In terms of the more mainstream artists, I think that a lot of people enjoy it because they can fantasize about a life more interesting than theirs, and since rappers brag so often people get lots of room for fantasy. For example, having tons of money and women, being a gangster, etc. I just like the rhythm and the heavy bass.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Excio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First off it is a question to a paper that is required of me to write about. I was not trying to make it sound like everyone wanted to hear a certain genre. I am doing a research paper if you must know Raz......And if you will read all of the thread you will see I mentioned that.........Duh!

Thanks
    I think the genre rap stands apart from the rest, as it is the only music genre where you don't actually sing, but perform through flow and delivery. Lots of people just listen to radio and hear rappers with lazy-flows and performances, but a real rapper is able to use his/her voice and deliver it in a way that gives it rythym, without even singing it.

Hip hop is not just music, but a cutlure containing whats stated in the first reply. Hip hop music is by performers who appeal to that culture, and that is why many seperate it from rap, as rap is a way of structuring and delivering rythym with lyrics, and doesn't necessarily appeal to hip hop.

Ps. You could say that rap was hip hop, but it has now distanced itself from the actual culture.

Thanks
    This is rap........

I don't know what the hell that Nas, Big Pun, Emenim b.s is........sound like a bunch of words that rhyme......like they rapping in code and shit........

Thanks
    Growing up until now I love almost all genres and songs from different ones. What always set hip-hop and rap apart for me was the culture, the life-style and attitudes that is ingrained in the music. No where else can you see so clearly how the music influences the culture and the culture influences the music.
    So this was from the start..growing up in crazy places you went to school and guys with chains would walk up to you and simply ask "hip-hop or skater" and I said hip-hop and you shook hands and these were your new homies.
    A classical piano player puts on his suit, sits down at the grand piano, plays with incredible skill and precision, gets applause and gets back to his (probably) lame life. So while there is incredible music in the classical section it could never be the soundtrack to a part of my life like a jay-z album might.
    Like in these economic downtimes you would blast me against the world by Pac and that's how you felt and that's where you found peace and after you got through the struggle you might ride with MCHG for a couple months and embrace that lavishness and arrogance of yeah I got that car you was talkin about as kids. Watch me get more.

So hip-hop to me is a feeling of life, a venue of self-expression, a blueprint for our youth If used correctly.

And the beats...the rhythm, melodies..so simple n yet so profound, shit you kick your deepest thoughts to on the street corner.

Ain't nothing like hip-hop, best believe I love this shit.

Everybody yelled surprise...I wasn't surprised...

Thanks
    Hip Hop gives the voiceless their voices.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carorie@ualr.edu View Post
    And what is the difference between hip hop and rap?
    Hip Hop is (or used to be) a lifestyle/culture, the way you live. MCing/Rapping, scratching, beatboxing, break dancing, Graffiti. All of those elements are still around, but in mainstream, MCing is the most enduring art form.

Thanks
    For me, just the sounds associated with it. Like digitized tribal.

Thread Information