At what price would you sell a single track if you had to sign over 100% publishing?

100% publishing... damn.

damn.

damn.

good question. really good. It all comes down to how broke I am. right now, personally a minimum of $2500 for a track I don't like (throwaway). $4000 for a track that I like. but thats only because I could use the extra cash right now, I got a few things I would like to do with the money right now.

Realistically with no experience or discography to a hip hop/rap group/artist....Maybe $500 to $1000 for a beat.

I'd have my lawyer negotiate more if they are signed to a major tho.

$.02

Last edited:
^^^Depends on the project. Everytime you sell an exclusive to an unknown artist, you're basically throwing away royalties(being that they never make any real sales, and you no longer have the ability to give the track away again).

For a major artist in 2009...$1,500 to the lowest for an album filler(and that would be an artist I knew would flop), no lower than $30k(Maybe 20 cash on spot)if it's a single. That makes a big difference(iTunes, spins/plays/TV, video game and movie soundtracking placements, reissues like "Now that's what I call Hits"). That seems steep? They don't agree to that? Then give me my pub, and I can throw them the beat for as low as $1,500 depending on the artist. But you never know what song is gonna just blow up overnight. No one should take that gamble.

^^^Depends on the project. Everytime you sell an exclusive to an unknown artist, you're basically throwing away royalties(being that they never make any real sales, and you no longer have the ability to give the track away again).

..... But you never know what song is gonna just blow up overnight. No one should take that gamble.

True true.
Lots of variables to consider.

Hey deranged,

What about to an indy with a small budget that you think might flop? (Single/Filler)

Last edited:
Depends... how hot of track are we talking?

You know if you have a single or not with or without a laundry list of clients. Very few people can make a track that can be a single and even then you are still looking for that elusive white wale.

Personally it would depend on who was buying.

$10-15k for a major label for single material "must include my tag"
Until your name is "designer" you can't command big money.

$500 for an indy for a hot track

$2000 for a single to an indy

But hey that's just me...

Publishing is everything in this business. Publishing IS money. Advances don't mean shyt, now days you won't get a big advance anyway. most of the money is from publishing. so if it is a hit, they will make hundreds of thousands of that song maybe millions, and you will only get the amount you were already paid. you did a work fire hire. technically the buyer can sell the beat to anyone else, and you don't have a say in the matter because it is no longer yours.

But on the other hand money is still money, what's to say that i can sell that beat to anyone else? and even if I keep my split will i get the same amount? I can 'sell' a beat to an artist and still get $500 for it and still keep my split, but that artist doesn't do anything so I won't get anything extra. I only get $500 total, but I have my split in a song that won't see any publishing. But then again I can get $2500 for the same song. Really publishing is a game of leverage. Sometimes you can use the extra 'guarantee' money, publishing takes awhile to collect if you actually can collect it. But you outright sell the song you get money quick.

Do you want quick money or do you want the gamble of an investment maybe money?

I would do everything I can to hold on to my publishing. But sometimes I might need to fix my car or I might have my eye on this new $5000 projector.

buy 12 tracks for 1200 that would make my day.

100 bucks a beat i need money

i dont care if your jay z just put my name on the credits

but when you give 100% publishing, you don't have credit. You don't own the song, it is not your song. you don't get a tag, you don't get mentioned.

But you never know what song is gonna just blow up overnight. No one should take that gamble.

Exactly. Imagine if Boi1Da had signed over 100% publishing on Best I Ever Had (i'm assuming he didn't). He'd be feeling like an ass right now.

Exactly. Imagine if Boi1Da had signed over 100% publishing on Best I Ever Had (i'm assuming he didn't). He'd be feeling like an ass right now.

that is called the lottery. what if the ticket i was going to buy won, but i wanted a candy bar instead. it's a gamble, you can win, but most likely you won't

Bottom line...is the bottom line hopefully cats are using c-corps and llc's. If everyone is running around selling 100% publishing essentially no one owns anything. Think of a composition like a home in a real estate deal...under what conditions would you sell or flip that home...a "real" real estate investor..someone about building wealth would never ever sell..ask Warren Buffet. You want to own and control your assets in real estate you call it renting or leasing every other industry calls it licensing. Call a lawyer or two and pay them a retainer, then read Benjamin Grams "Intelligent Investor...its about stocks but the principles can be applied to any investment/asset class....this is the man Warren Buffet got his investment/business philosophy from.

Publishing is everything in this business. Publishing IS money. Advances don't mean shyt, now days you won't get a big advance anyway. most of the money is from publishing. so if it is a hit, they will make hundreds of thousands of that song maybe millions, and you will only get the amount you were already paid. you did a work fire hire. technically the buyer can sell the beat to anyone else, and you don't have a say in the matter because it is no longer yours.

My mode of thinking has changed with the more placements I get. Honestly ADVANCES ARE EVERYTHING in the industry because alot of artists aren't selling ****.

If you're consistently selling tracks, making money, and keeping your credit you have nothing to lose. You're building your brand instead of hoping and praying for a lotto ticket.

That being said dont be an idiot. If someone wants a track outright sell it for a decent fee. At least 5grand or more with a contract stating you will recieve your credit.

One thing you can do to make sure you make some money if the song becomes a hit is maintain your songwriter share/performance royalties. That way you'll still get paid off of radio spins. Waive your producer points & mechanicals. Alot of people get stuck on points but in reality they dont translate to **** unless its a gold/platinum record or you produced the majority of the album.

Peace

that is called the lottery. what if the ticket i was going to buy won, but i wanted a candy bar instead. it's a gamble, you can win, but most likely you won't

You're right. It all depends on if you believe the artist/song is going anywhere.

but when you give 100% publishing, you don't have credit. You don't own the song, it is not your song. you don't get a tag, you don't get mentioned.

Oh yes my tag would be in the song... just the same as snare, bass drum, back up singer, or synth.
It would be stipulated in the sales contract, same as you buying a car.
It is your car and you can modify it as much as you want but certain parts you can't remove i.e. pollution system components (you can but if you get caught you're going to get some big fines).

My mode of thinking has changed with the more placements I get. Honestly ADVANCES ARE EVERYTHING in the industry because alot of artists aren't selling ****.

If you're consistently selling tracks, making money, and keeping your credit you have nothing to lose. You're building your brand instead of hoping and praying for a lotto ticket.

That being said dont be an idiot. If someone wants a track outright sell it for a decent fee. At least 5grand or more with a contract stating you will recieve your credit.

One thing you can do to make sure you make some money if the song becomes a hit is maintain your songwriter share/performance royalties. That way you'll still get paid off of radio spins. Waive your producer points & mechanicals. Alot of people get stuck on points but in reality they dont translate to **** unless its a gold/platinum record or you produced the majority of the album.

Peace

<--- Smart Man

Last edited:
True true.
Lots of variables to consider.

Hey deranged,

What about to an indy with a small budget that you think might flop? (Single/Filler)

"Indie with small budget" can range anywhere from Boot Camp Click to Babygrande to Angeles Records to some guys off myspace. No set rule, depends on the project.

Peace

That's it in a nutshell. Until Beyonce, Rihanna, Jay, to the least...The Game comes calling...you won't see much after that upfront advance.

Id say it depends on tha project, the leverage, exposure, and shyt like that. cuz only a G or so here (assuming they are famous) might be worth it if somebody big gets on that track and brings me even more business, than if the song itself goes big, you can add that shyt to the resume and profit more, it'll be an investment

^^^ thatz just one of the ways I would look at it cuz for 100% I would probably reack my barin till I found the best approach (long term sucess) to go with it

Back