What makes a good MC? What separates the good from the great?

What is it that makes some MCs so good? Is there a thing, or is is just some mixture of decent talent, marketing, and luck. Is it just the right place at the right time? Do people's taste change over time or is it the artists that drive the game in the direction they want to go. What do you think?

Peace.

*** Puffins Productions ***

All the things you said mixed with a (often simple) revolutionary idea to add to the genre or change it.

Once you are signed to a major, it's really all marketing. Of course there needs to be skill, charisma, presence etc. but marketing and the dollars attached to it plays a huge role. Systems, marketing, structure, radio can most def. influence the taste of a market.

Artists outside of hiphop prove this to be true... look at a Britney Spears or Jennifer Lopez. Even Beyonce, Gaga, Madonna and Michael Jackson who are/were more talented. Those artists need that kind of structure to operate. Without it they wouldn't be perceive as big stars.

Bein' an MC is way more than creating stanzas of couplets, triplets, allegories, metaphors, etc.; there's also a level of skill indicative of the achievement, or near-achievement, of lyrical mastery. This is one of the major components of the difference between a generalist rapper and a Mind Controller.

Peace.

Courage makes a good emcee. Being able to teach and transform students to teachers makes a great emcee.

Stay humble, a lot of kids get caught up in the game of money, ho's and guns.
If you stay humble, honest and respectful its a lot easier to get noticed, and also you'll receive a lot more credibility.

I don't think rappers are measured by the same standards as before. If you look at the great rappers, you'll see certain qualities:

Big Pun-wordplay, flow, breath control, Charisma
Pac- Charisma, lyrics, good songwriter
Nas-Charisma, lyrics

You get my drift.

I don't think rappers are measured by the same standards as before. If you look at the great rappers, you'll see certain qualities:

Big Pun-wordplay, flow, breath control, Charisma
Pac- Charisma, lyrics, good songwriter
Nas-Charisma, lyrics

You get my drift.

FLOW.

That's all it takes at this point.

FLOW.

That's all it takes at this point.

Who can flow these days besides Kendrick and Tech Nine? I petsonally thought it was a lost art. Even the Battle rappers don't flow these days(that's why I think a beat is so necessary in a battle. Let me hear you flow over a few different tempos)

Flow to me is Big Pun, Kool G Rap, Rakim, Biggie, Busta Rhymes, Inspecta Deck, Outkast, Twista, Royce da 5'9, Eminem, MOP etc...

Last edited:
Historically it's always been vocal quality(sound of your voice) flow/cadence, wordplay, clarity, and some people even put beat selection in there. A good MC can display these qualities but as consistently or as skillfully as a great MC. O also forgot delivery.

Last edited:
Do u mean good mc or succesful mc?
Marketing and luck have nothing to do with being a good mc but everything to do with success.
There are several qualities that can make one a good mc, but the most important one is probably flow since it has a huge impact on the way the track sounds. Another important aspect is the style the rapper has, agressive, chill etc. since it also has a big impact on the sound and it it gives the MC character.
Only when u listen closer do things such as rhyme schemes and lyrical content come into play. My conclusion is that the first mentioned is the required qualities to be good, but only combined with the last mentioned qualities does an MC reach greatness.

I have been criticized in the past for not purposely spittin' out of rhythm. There was a silent argument goin' on in between rappers and MCs, outside of the Boom-Bap era squabbles, that maintaining the meter of the rhythm as it relates to the instrumentation and context, vocally, was somehow passe? Then this current wave of pop feeding troughs were able to get themselves into the mainstream and set a horrendous trend.

It's fine that they make a living. No problem with that. What's not fine is what the kids get from it...long story.

Style of delivery; style of rhymes; tone of voice; but most importantly, the ability to use language in ways that are constantly changing, developing. Someone who always changes up their rhyme patterns (from song to song as well as within in a single song) and keeps the message on point and doesn't resort to "schoolyard" trash rhymes will always have an audience where I'm concerned.

I also think emcees who are more than just emcees tend to make better overall tracks than those that just worry about rhymes. For example, a guy I went to the music school with is the complete package: he writes and raps his own rhymes; does all his own beats, cuts, & scratches; and even records everything by himself. He is literally the epitome of talent. And his rhymes are goofy and hyper-creative but he still delivers messages. It's amazing stuff. Check him out: Edan the Humble Magnificent. He's ridiculous.

from what i've seen over the years voice and flow will get a rapper in the game, lyrics will keep them there (longevity).

I should also add that emcees who are willing to rhyme over stale beats/production really drive me crazy. The guy I mentioned above, Edan the Humble Magnificent, uses all sorts of interesting sounds and genres of music. Check out his track "Key-Bored." It's on YouTube. I can't post the link cuz I'm new here. But he mashes up some old boom-bap beat with a classical piano piece (the name of which escapes me currently) and then drops the wackiest rhymes you've ever heard. And they're brilliant. And they work SO well with the track, it's incredible. Dig it.

Last edited:
Back