What makes certain producers hot?

DJ Pausetrick

It's funny:

Whenever I try to 'compose' a beat with complex musical variety, I tend to get a 'it's cool...' response from rappers but when I do a Cardo-style beat or a Metro-style beat, they're like 'man this is HOT!' It's a little frustrating because unless you incorporate those themes into your music, your beats don't get picked, at least from my experience. What say y'all?

True statement.

The majority just like to ride the current trend.

Unfortunately there is no sure fire recipe to being the "next big thing".

I will say this:

The guys that are hot (when their sound is hot) have their own unique spin on things which helps to create their signature recipe..

$.02

Cats need to stop focusing on the next big thing and just make music with whatever personal purpose known only to them.

Do what your clients like. This is a client based business. Still incorporate your own thing into it though. One thing I've learned is that the beats that the producers tend to love aren't as popular with the artists. Remember it's the artist that's supposed to shine, not the beat maker.

thats not true for me my style is more of a true hiphop sound and i get plenty of likes and nice comments but i see what you are sayin though alot of these people wanna hear loud 808s bangin with way to many hi hats but they are only lookin for that beat to carry them like these new rappers do now

In my opinion, there are many views. I'm a huge soul/funk fan and deal with primarily 70s-90s music. Key producers at the time (and today as well) are the ones that:

1) develope their own sound from scratch and make people listen and appreciate it ie. getting both an artistic and commercial success. Jam and Lewis, Barry Eastmond, Chuckii Booker, George Duke, Jacques Fred Petrus and Arthur Baker are examples of this. Timbaland did it too when pioneering the syncopated "double beat" around 1999 (used extensively on Aaliyah's 2nd album)

2) Take different genres and combine then ultimately creating music with new ideas. Teddy Riley did that with New Jack Swing (fusing rap music and r&b) and in the 1988-1992 period everyone from Keith Sweat to Rolling Stones (yup, that is true!!) had a go. Tribe Called Quest did it as well, fusing jazz samples and hip-hop beats with great results to follow.

I've abandoned most hip hop since there are hardly any originality left. The rhythmic flow of the current rappers leave much to be desired (comparing Lil Wayne and Big Daddy Kane is an obvious example of the current slump of rap vocals) and every song features the same 808 samples and basic chord progressions - there's an annoying trend that rappers have to make those shout/sing-a-long choruses that are very annoying to these ears. I believe that creative hip hop was destroyed by the sample clearance that made it impossible to use pretty much anything. Obviously, the original artists deserve their payment but still, it killed off rap music in my book!
Instead, the construction kits came along and made everything the same. Surely, it most be possible to use a construction kit creatively?

People tend to jump on whats hot at the time. I like to produce beats that have a lot going on, but sometimes simplicity seems to grab peoples attention. I feel that if a beat is basic it stands out when the sounds are unique, something that other producers aren't really using (like having your own signature sound) or using certain types of samples.

Last edited:
A quote from some of my favorite producers jimmy jam and terris lewis they stated they didnt want to be the hottest producers just warm for a really long time. If your a producer with a unique sound ie mike will made it dj mustard metro boomin and all the top artists keep hopin on your tracks that makes you hot. But mind you besides for pharrell timbland and kanye the span of being a hot producer only lasts 2-3 years

Back