what key(s) are most hip-hop tracks in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-clan

maybe there is no particular key for a hip hop track. i know a lot of trance has been written in the key of C. just wondering if there was anything like that going on with hiphop?

reason i ask is that i am preparing a bunch of wav and rex loops to provide to cool FP ppl :)

holla!

I never heard that it mattered for ANY musical genre.. But maybe someone will come up saying otherwise. Lets see.

Yeah, they usually change keys when the song sounds better in a different key, or when it needs to be played faster/slower. :D
But i think C is the standard.

where do I find the keys on the mpc... haha

what if you sample a chord...

I dont think there should be any generalizations about keys and music, **** that, cuz very often hip hop sounds pretty much the same... lets not try to support that

is there such a thing in hip hop? I doubt it.
I didn't know trance was mostly in C but i could understand that since mixing tracks together is important in that style of music.

MY favorite keys are Ab, A, Bb, B, C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, Gb, and G major and minor

this true all hip hop & r&b is mostly minor keys not all but 95% is put a cd on i bet
mostly every song in a black key minor they go white then back to black

I see.

good stuff. So hip hop MIGHT be in the key of C as maybe a generality for some tracks but certainly not all, a lotta peeps think its whack to try and say 'hip hip is in the key of', which it is, but i am just having a think about things.

of course, there is the danger of overanalyzing, but i just want to get a few ideas flowing and talk about some stuff, before jumping into production.

haha I've wondered about this myself. I Thin if you've got a melodic sample then go with that, otherwise I haven't seen too much that's in a straigh major. Mostly minors of one sort or another.

I think most trance is in C because trance producers are still working out what the black keys are for;) . (Mind you, I've actually written some trance myself, and most of it was in C).

hey johnno, funny, but, i think it was actually to do with frequencies for the body or something. hehe, i say, "was" as if trance isnt made anymore. i know it is, and a lotta good stuff is going on, but i just havent listened to trance much lately.

yo my man is a hustler, dogg . squares keep out,
anyways god about them keys .. i can do soft white for 1 g
But make arrangements for transportation kid.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back