What instruments do you play?

Played Trumpet for 2 years....Need to pick it back up but its not the most practical thing to practice (noise wise).

As I have said elsewhere on this forum I play several instruments to performance/reading standard:

Guitar, Bass guitar, Double bass, Cello, Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophones (Soprano, Alto, Tenor),
Drum Kit, Congas, Hand Percussion, Orchestral Percussion, Timpani,
Banjo, mandolin, tin whistle, fife, bodhran, ukulele​

I also thump the keyboard and have reasonably good baritone voice.

the above list comes out about learning a new instrument every two years, although I did study bass and guitar together pretty much from the start and picked up cello the following year in high school.

It gets easier the more you learn as after a while it is about mechanical learning (how to make the sounds and where to put the fingers, not how to play in time or read notes where you need to.

I'm currently learning to play the viola.

As I have said elsewhere on this forum I play several instruments to performance/reading standard:

Guitar, Bass guitar, Double bass, Cello, Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophones (Soprano, Alto, Tenor),
Drum Kit, Congas, Hand Percussion, Orchestral Percussion, Timpani,
Banjo, mandolin, tin whistle, fife, bodhran, ukulele​

I also thump the keyboard and have reasonably good baritone voice.

the above list comes out about learning a new instrument every two years, although I did study bass and guitar together pretty much from the start and picked up cello the following year in high school.

It gets easier the more you learn as after a while it is about mechanical learning (how to make the sounds and where to put the fingers, not how to play in time or read notes where you need to.

I'm currently learning to play the viola.

Got Damn son. I tried playing sax and trumpet but they damn hard!

SampleTank 2.5, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Albino II, SubBoomBass, NN-XT, Kong Drum, Redrum, Dr. Rex, Sampler, Simpler, Collision, Operator, Electric, Impulse, NN-19, Subtractor, Thor, and a lot of other ones

Oh, you have to specific whether you mean hardware, traditional or software instruments... I prefer software instruments.

With SampleTank I can play sax, piano, organ, flute, trumpet, trombone, violin, harmonica, drums... ... I'm pretty awesome.

It's not 1970 anymore, just like you no longer need a landline phone.... you don't have to "pick up" an instrument anymore.

Did you know that people could not grasp the concept of email years before it was actually in use?

"Send a letter without the post office being involved... over phone lines? phone lines are for talking... you're out of your mind... send a letter using a phone line, LOL! it'll never happen"

Last edited by a moderator:
SampleTank 2.5, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Albino II, SubBoomBass, NN-XT, Kong Drum, Redrum, Dr. Rex, Sampler, Simpler, Collision, Operator, Electric, Impulse, NN-19, Subtractor, Thor, and a lot of other ones

Oh, you have to specific whether you mean hardware, traditional or software instruments... I prefer software instruments.

With SampleTank I can play sax, piano, organ, flute, trumpet, trombone, violin, harmonica, drums... ... I'm pretty awesome.

It's not 1970 anymore, just like you no longer need a landline phone.... you don't have to "pick up" an instrument anymore.

Did you know that people could not grasp the concept of email years before it was actually in use?

"Send a letter without the post office being involved... over phone lines? phone lines are for talking... you're out of your mind... send a letter using a phone line, LOL! it'll never happen"

I meant traditional instruments. There was a thread recently where I explained why software instruments will not be (or at least currently are not) capable of sounding as good and realistic as a good musician with a good instrument.

If software qualifies, then yeah, I play a bunch of instruments, too. In fact, just the other day, I was a whole orchestra. Wild.

As for hands-on.. - guitar, bass, piano are what I'm best at. Played trumpet for most of school, but have def lost my chops since. Took some drum lessons, too, and I have a kit, but I don't give it much of my time.

I don't care if VST's are replacing real instruments. I'm glad I know my way around a few, anyway.

Played trumpet for a few years when i was a little kid, played guitar for 5 or 6 years now which has really payed off for me in beatmaking. one of my favorite things is coming up with a sweet lick on the guitar and implementing it into a beat

I meant traditional instruments. There was a thread recently where I explained why software instruments will not be (or at least currently are not) capable of sounding as good and realistic as a good musician with a good instrument.

Oh, traditional instruments. I can't play any of those. Waste of time now-a-days. You only need to learn how to play a keyboard... and load a patch for the instrument you want to play.

If you play a traditional instrument, you're going to have to set up a mic and record it into a computer for it be used anyway, ... cut out the middle man.

For Hip Hop music... no one uses traditional instrument as is... they like to be able to tweak the sound by turning knobs on vsti's to make it sound unique.

Honestly, I would be bored out of my skull playing a traditional instrument and here is the kicker.... There is no SAVE button so your really playing for nothing if you don't have it hooked up to a computer.

I guess it looks impressive to some people...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, traditional instruments. I can't play any of those. Waste of time now-a-days. You only need to learn how to play a keyboard... and load a patch for the instrument you want to play.

If you play a traditional instrument, you're going to have to set up a mic and record it into a computer for it be used anyway, ... cut out the middle man.

For Hip Hop music... no one uses traditional instrument as is... they like to be able to tweak the sound by turning knobs on vsti's to make it sound unique.

Honestly, I would be bored out of my skull playing a traditional instrument and here is the kicker.... There is no SAVE button so your really playing for nothing if you don't have it hooked up to a computer.

I guess it looks impressive to some people...

It's fun to bring a guitar to the beach and stuff though. The keyboard is the most versatile instrument but you need to be very proficient in it and understand traditional instruments to make one sound fairly accurate to what it's trying to imitate. I like to make lots of music then just hip-hop though.

Yeah, I only make Hip Hop. I like jazz but am too lazy to learn how to really pull of something jazzy. That will be my weekend challenge.

Guitar, drums & piano

Jimi Hendrix is my hero =)

I met a guy that lived next door to him as a kid when I was getting my oil changed, lol. He had a photo of him and Jimi Hendrix in his wallet.

... man, that dude talked my damn ear off about Jimi Hendrix.

Haha his brain is probably warped from years of LSD abuse...he probably thinks that IS Jimi in his wallet lol...cool story tho

Last edited:
Back