What direction do you think mainstream music will take in 2012?

DJR

Looking back at last year it's clear that electronic, house and even dubstep heavily influenced mainstrem music. There are a few exceptions but the majority of comercial artists have followed the same trend.

What direction do you think 2012 will take or do you think it will be much more of the same?

I can only speak for the UK and I see more of the same here, just the same old Brit School/BBC Sound Of output.

poland = still old school rap and rappers with this same flow.

OP mentioned dubstep.. I think we're gonna get more of that.

2012 will be the same as last year.

Electro pop will have thugs rapping over it, and our favorite gangsta rappers will star in more childrens movies and cop shows.

More Trap
More Dubstep
Possibly Lo fi shyt
Possibly more use of live instrumentation and drums
Pretty much the same as 2011...

Fast rap is coming back into style. TI's album will be full of it, Busta is still riding alot if success with his "fast rap" features, and even local rappers are trying it more.

I think urban music is gonna speed up from 70 bpm's this year.

Over the next 2-3 years, I see it moving from the traditional "trap", and moving towards the abstractness that was classic Timbo and Neptunes. So I expect to see them working more in the next few years.

Let's see. With Drake and Nicki leading the "non-trap" charge, Frank Oceans album coming, and the success of Watch The Throne, I'm slightly optimistic that we'll see a little more diversity from the Trap box.

I think you'll slowly see a gravitation towards more "real" music and instrumentation (or at least more creativity with it). I think when you look at some of the records that had a lot of success, especially the Adele album; which was the biggest selling record in 8 years: record companies are going to look at that and try to find ways to duplicate that type of success. From that standpoint you'll likely see more things coming out with the characteristics of that record and any success that's made is going to filter down to other mainstream music.

This isn't to say that every record is going to sound like Adele, but its a known fact the music industry copies other successful albums and that "copying" filters down to most if not all genre's of music. Its exactly how trends get started.

As for hip hip, Hip Hop simply rides the success of any other hot record or artist. So whoever is hot in 2012 is what you'll hear more of... at least until the next big thing comes out.

Things are gonna get interesting.....

Lots of interesting, simple yet hype beats like niggas in paris, and guys like krit and asap rocky will put out some popular music that isnt just electric, same with kendrick, but theres still going to be lots of electric stuff, maybe more complex stuff not just LMFAO bullshit.

I know Kanye is going to go into an electric direction similar to the Graduation era, and drake will likely retire after getting burnt by common, wayne isnt doing much now, jayz is going to stick to his lane, but overall its going to be an interesting year, no one same style.

it'll all be dubstep and or electro i'm thinking. even that loser justin bieber will do something "dubstep" inspired without a doubt. so you can look forward to crappy mainstream artists being more crappy. it's new to most people, as in the mass amount of people who don't follow good stuff. the only thing that is important in 2012 is how music will be distributed and so on. so if no one actually buys good music, then we'll just get more saturated with crap. too many good producers & emcee's out there right now who aren't getting enough back from the hip hop community. shouldn't expect much though, right? most people now want everything for free and don't want to work. they don't want to go outside and discover new things, or dare i say a job. i've got a lot of respect for artists out there who do it for the love. can't get more real than that. prestige worldwide!

it'll all be dubstep and or electro i'm thinking. even that loser justin bieber will do something "dubstep" inspired without a doubt. so you can look forward to crappy mainstream artists being more crappy. it's new to most people, as in the mass amount of people who don't follow good stuff. the only thing that is important in 2012 is how music will be distributed and so on. so if no one actually buys good music, then we'll just get more saturated with crap. too many good producers & emcee's out there right now who aren't getting enough back from the hip hop community. shouldn't expect much though, right? most people now want everything for free and don't want to work. they don't want to go outside and discover new things, or dare i say a job. i've got a lot of respect for artists out there who do it for the love. can't get more real than that. prestige worldwide!

I think what you're talkin about happens in every genre. There's people out there who say "I only like Rock N Roll," but won't make an effort to find new bands or hit a few shows. Essentially, they listen to Led Zepplin and Pearl Jam, and they claim "Rock Fan". Same as people who only listen to mainstream Hip-Hop. There's always more out there. That won't change, and hasn't in decades.

I personally think there will be more diversity.

If you notice Drake, Jay, Kanye, Wayne, Nicki etc (even if they are all mainstream) have their own sound going on.

Kanye will be the one in the forefront with more abstract, experimental music. Drake will probably stick to his ambient, chick stuff. Jay, i honestly don't know where Jay is going. It's hard to tell since he's pretty much done it all. Jay drops one super commercial album but then manages to bring it back with the next (black album, KG, American Gangster, BP3) If the pattern is correct, he'll have a stronger hiphop based album sprinkled with some commercial tracks here and there.

The pop stuff will continue merging with dubstep. Gaga will continue infusing old school with new school, and will probably mix more classical sounding stuff into her pop music.

Madonna will be back.

I hope 50 finds a way to reinvent himself but i see him more involve in business. 50 needs to collaborate with artists outside of his circle.

Rick Ross and MMG will continue dropping decent music.

Last edited:
I kind of see them playing the hell dubstep infusioned music. Other than that really don't know.

Back