Video of B. Micael Cox Making a Track

Cee Major

The Southr'n Gentleman
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9620748

This is actually from a couple of nights ago, but he goes in on it. Real smooth track. It's inspiring to me watch how the pros create.

Side note: Does anyone know what the name of that sound is at the 28:00 minute mark or what vst that comes from? Cause I've been searching for that for the looonnnggeesssttt......

Thanks for the vid, B Cox is a huge inspiration to me too. He's got tons of these vids on youtube if you havent seen em yet, check em out.

I didnt get to the 28 min mark, but he said at the beginning he's using some new absynth soft synth.

Last edited by a moderator:
took a break to watch football, but just got to 28 min, and imo that sound is just a simple sine wave I think. It sounds like it was detuned maybe a lil bit, but could just be the pitch bending he's doing. Its what hes doing w/ the joystick thats giving it that vibrato sound, which is all in the wrist, not the sound. Just get any smooth type r&b lead sine wave and practice using the mod wheel/joystick, and maybe pitch it down a fraction of step beforehand too.

its not just a pitch bend. pitch bend with tha joystick can be done to anylead. its very misleading but if u pay care attention its actually an actual preset sound or the way its tweaked that gives that impression. then he just adds that pitch bend to give it more twist to his melodic lines. i just wanna kno wthcek it is

Sup guys. Yep B Cox doin his thing as usual. He does these streams quite often so stay tuned if you guys wanna see him do his thing.

As far as the 28 mark...its a Sine wave. If you pay close attention you can see that he does two maneuvers on the joystick...theres a down motion(pitch bending down into the chord), then the left to right motion which creates the vibrato. No tweaking of the actual preset or anything like that, its just a simple sine wave and a skilled keyboardist.

If its not two maneuvers then it simply a smooth bend and then a quick/rapid bend for the vibrato effect...but its all in the joystick

Last edited:
Yeah it does seem like it's just a sine wave.. He plays it for a while before recording and isn't using the pitch bend. When he's not using the pitch bend it just seems like a solid sound - no bends or vibrato.

I was just thinkin bout usin switching to logic too... I think that's what Bcox is using in here but i'm not sure... damn sure ain't FL though lol

I was just thinkin bout usin switching to logic too... I think that's what Bcox is using in here but i'm not sure... damn sure ain't FL though lol

Kontakt, Nexus, Omnisphere...

with those same plugs im not sure how his sequencer looks dictates his music...

Kontakt, Nexus, Omnisphere...

with those same plugs im not sure how his sequencer looks dictates his music...

at the end of the day it comes down to your skills of course. With the same plugins it doesn't matter what sequencer you use.

I'm really just comparing them stock without any plugins. I've been wanting to move over to that anyway before seeing this video. It's not like i said.. Oh Bcox uses logic THATS WHY HE IS SO GOOD! lol

I'm really just comparing them stock without any plugins. I've been wanting to move over to that anyway before seeing this video. It's not like i said.. Oh Bcox uses logic THATS WHY HE IS SO GOOD! lol

Of course, but that's what your other quote originally read like. Just because most of us have been at that point at some time. Wanting to use a daw, or piece of equipment because our favorite producer does.

Sup guys. Yep B Cox doin his thing as usual. He does these streams quite often so stay tuned if you guys wanna see him do his thing.

As far as the 28 mark...its a Sine wave. If you pay close attention you can see that he does two maneuvers on the joystick...theres a down motion(pitch bending down into the chord), then the left to right motion which creates the vibrato. No tweaking of the actual preset or anything like that, its just a simple sine wave and a skilled keyboardist.

If its not two maneuvers then it simply a smooth bend and then a quick/rapid bend for the vibrato effect...but its all in the joystick

He's exactly right, here I made a lil example for yall to hear. It's just Pitch Bend and Modulation at the same time on a simple sine wave, thats in multi-voice/poly mode so u can play chords.

First off, If you got a Mac or a Macbook, I'm jealous lol
Second, If you got a Mac or a Macbook, there's no way you shouldn't be using Logic Studio.

He's exactly right, here I made a lil example for yall to hear. It's just Pitch Bend and Modulation at the same time on a simple sine wave, thats in multi-voice/poly mode so u can play chords.

Stop posting our old ideas from way back then bro, lol.

Like Win-Tip said, Bryan was using nothing but pitch bend and modulation at the same time. Didn't see the video, but if he didn't use the pitch bend wheel, then its just portamento which makes the tones glide up or down after a certain time. Another way to do it would be using a modulation envelope function with pitch as an input parameter.

Last edited:
Back