The Truth about the GRAMMYS

im1ufo

as told by the only person willing to say what the rest of us true music heads are thinking AT the Grammys on national TV

I realize this isn't about rap but I'm just here to give a history lesson on the Grammy Awards and Vinyl records

Vedder, being the baddass that he is, basically told the Grammy's to **** off...I don't believe he was trying to be controversial either..that is just Eddie being Eddie

the funny thing is, Pearl Jam won a Grammy for one of their more unknown songs...a song which is a Tribute to VINYL RECORDS :)

so basically he dissed the award when the Grammy's were at their most respectable LOL

Greatest Acceptance Speech of ALL-TIME!

the Vitalogy album was the only album that decade that made the Billboard harts with a Vinyl release(it was released on vinyl 1 week before it came out on CD)

tumblr_lzsttzY1dr1qg3glzo1_500.jpg

here is the song and lyrics they won the award for..

"Spin The Black Circle"

see this needle...a see my hand...
drop, drop, dropping it down...oh, so gently...
well here it comes...i touch the plane...
turn me up...won't turn you away...
spin, spin...spin the black circle
spin, spin...spin the black, spin the black...
spin, spin...whoa...
pull it out...a paper sleeve...
oh, my joy...only you deserve conceit...
i'm so big...a-my whole world...
i'd rather you...rather you...than her...
spin, spin...whoa...oh...
you're so warm...oh, the ritual...when i lay down your crooked arm...
spin, spin...
spin the black circle
spin the black circle...
spin, spin...
spin, spin...

SpinTheBlackCircle_USA_3777771_sidea.jpg

Last edited:
The haters at the Grammys lost all credibility when they decided that Jimmy Sturr's ability to shit out Grammy award winning albums was so awesome that the only way to stop him was by dropping the category he was competing in.

The haters at the Grammys lost all credibility when they decided that Jimmy Sturr's ability to shit out Grammy award winning albums was so awesome that the only way to stop him was by dropping the category he was competing in.

anyone who is jealous of something for winning a Grammy aware is making music for the wrong reasons

speaking of jealousy...I thought it was hilarious that Kanye West threw a temper tantrum because the crowd wanted like 3 Encores from Pearl Jam at Coachella...Kanye's performance had to be delayed because the crowd didn't want Pearl Jam to stop playing LOL

3op9vb.jpg

I figured out a way to incorporate rap into the discussion besides speaking of Kanye's jealousy

here is an awesome cover of an old Pearl Jam song by the rapper P.O.S.

Don't forget back in the day a lot of hip hop artists boycotted the Grammys including DJ Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith who won the first award in their category.

to win an award is still one of the highest achievements in the music industry

Don't forget back in the day a lot of hip hop artists boycotted the Grammys including DJ Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith who won the first award in their category.

I wasn't aware of that...RESPECT.

can't wait til the snow melts away here and I can start bumping "Summer Time"..God I love that song!

of course it is...still doesn't mean shit from an artistic standpoint

but it usually does mean lots of $ for the record label who has the winning artist under contract when the next album is released

although it didn't work out that way for Sony and Pearl Jam...PJ released their most experimental album after winning that Grammy in '96 with No Code (my favorite album of theirs to this day)

True. I like trophies. Only proof I was a bad MFer in sports in my younger days. Need to polish those moments.

I'm missing this "truth" about the grammys............couple of rebels say something...where is the truth?

This says a whole lot....I don't care what anybody think or say.

Yall say no to trophies......Juicy J can't!!!

Last edited:
grammys have been shittier in recent years and its always hilarious when they try to give out awards to "obscure" choices in an attempt to gain more credibility

True. I like trophies. Only proof I was a bad MFer in sports in my younger days. Need to polish those moments.

I'm missing this "truth" about the grammys............couple of rebels say something...where is the truth?

I always enjoy your posts but I think this is something we'll probably have to agree to disagree on

The 'truth' that was presented in this post is that from an artistic point of view, a Grammy means nothing.

Sports aren't subjective like Art is...which is why I believe Award ceremonies only exist to stroke the ego.

Of course we all would like to be recognized for our creations but if you are even nominated for a Grammy, you already have a huge fan base...and if you're still not pleased with the amount of recognition you've received, chances are you'll never be able to attain true fulfillment within yourself.

It is true that we all want validation...but when you start to let outsiders like reviewers and the rest of the music industry influence your decisions from a musical standpoint, the ART WILL SUFFER

in their early days after MTV called Pearl Jam's Unplugged performance the greatest set in the show's history Vedder said " "I don't trust nobody, specially when they say something good" lol

That being said, Vedder has done a lot of growing up and has since said that he regrets his Grammy speech...he said that he was a bit agitated that night because he got into trouble for smoking cigs backstage haha

For anyone looking to be a 'career musician', a lot can be learned from the ups and downs of Pearl Jam's career. just watch the documentary film TWENTY

a lot of the haters always gave them shit for being 'anti-corporate' while being under contract with Sony's Epic label for most of their careers.

but when their contract ran up, they put their $ where their mouths were and released their last album WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY

They were stable able maintain fruitful careers.

besides Pearl Jam, As far as I know the only artists that have been able to achieve this sort of success without any help from the music industry are Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails

I'd love to see someone from the Hip Hop community take this route...not an easy one to achieve, but well worth it in the end!

EDIT:

I've never really followed 50 Cent's career...but it looks as though he is attempting to follow this path...apparently he is getting fed up with INterscope...maybe he'll leak Detox for us haha

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

of course most of us aren't lucky enough to be in a position to be able to make these types of decisions ....here is something that we can all learn from PJ and put into practice in our music

almost everything on this album was recorded using BINAURAL RECORDING TECHNIQUES to give everything a 3D sound

if you can't afford multiple microphones to do t his...here is great sounding drum break to chop.. make sure to cop this on Vinyl!!

Last edited:
here is a cool quote from PJ guitarist Stone Gossard...

it is from the book ZEN GUITAR...something all you producers should check out! It doesn't really have anything to do with playing guitar...it is mostly about philosophies regarding music in general.

[h=2]"The focus of my playing is the groove, and every time I find a new rhythm, I find I can write a bunch of new songs.

Learning how to dance, or drum, or to swing my body in a new way is the fundamental way I find a new riff. Because when you learn to swing your body in a new way, you begin to swing with your instrument differently."[/h]
[h=2][/h]

Back