Triton Le or Yamaha Motif

don't get the Triton LE. If you're gonna blow $1300 ya might as well get the Triton OG. if ya spend the extra $600 you're not gonna be sorry.

The motif is an excellent keyboard. grab it over the Triton LE anyday, but few keyboards beat the Triton Pro.

Chronos

MOTIF

I had to make this decision... and up until the last day I was going to buy the LE. They are both excellent keyboards, but the motif is better organized for real production, and I like the sounds more. the drum kits on the motif are definately better and the stereo is absolutely amazing on the machine. for instance you might hit 2 different symbols back to back in a track (different symbols). The motif will throw 70% of the sound on the left channel for symbol and 70% of the sound on the right channel for symbol 2. It is amazing. Cut a lot of panning work in pro tools.

The Korg will have more effects and better wind instruments, but pretty much everything else I prefer on the motif. scratches, dusty records, motif has all that.

My latest flash development uses nothing but motif sound effects and everyone loves it... especially the record labels that have seen it.

One more thing, those 5 volume sliders come in REAL handy. And you can easily turn on and off tracks in real time with all of those buttons. For instance, I might start out with 1 track playing until it hits a certain bar, then use 3 fingers to turn on 3 tracks... and in the middle, use 8 fingers to turn off 8 tracks for a BREAK, then mix all up again..... all while recording in real-time in Pro Tools. It's just bananas.

you use the motif and Protools?

How difficult is it to set up the fader controllers?

What do you use for a storage device for samples with the motif?

Chronos

man you HAD to ask that storage question. right now i'm hoping the lightning does not strike (there is a huge storm system in Atlanta right now) because I don't have a memory card yet, nor do I have scsi. I think a little 10GB SCSI drive would be plenty sufficient. It is a shame I can't buy a mLan card (firewire) and just plug my external Maxtor 80GB firewire to it, but mLan is used for midi, it cannot store pattern data.

I would not be hard to replicate what I have done in the past week and a half i've had it. besides, i've already got the tracks broken down into layers in pro tools.

as for the sliders, i haven't done any mapping. even if you could I would not recommend it. it is much better just to get a slider controller if you want to do multiple slides. you can even get one at the digidesign store that is relatively inexpensive with 8 or 16 sliders that will move automatically (during automation) like the newer Ghost Consoles.

Sliders:
its like this... each of the sixteen tracks are grouped

[1][2][3][4] [5][6][7][8] [9][10][11][12] [13][14][15][16]

there is a master slider, plus 4 versatile sliders. the four can control 1 block, all 4 groups (controling 4 with 1 slider), or a combination.

What I mean with realtime I mean (a simple example), I might start recording in pro tools then hit the play button no the keyboard, playing the layered patterns or song, and at the beginning of the track fade the master in manually with my hand, and at the end of the track use the 4 sliders to fade out certain sections of the track (blocks of tracks) until all of the instruments fade out.

By using your hands to control the slider you can create a fade in or fade out much more accurately than "applying" a fade in our fade out using software (which is what I USED to do). This is especially true when you are using "velocity" fades where you an not simply fading out a sound, rather, easing the volume out with decreasing acceleration.

Allenboy,

Soundwise how does the triton le size up to the triton and triton rack, I was told it's not as thick and lush sounding due to the number of effects that can be inserted !

that piece of gossip sounds correct to me ! I know that the effects thing hurts this lower model of the Triton for a fact! The strings arent the same and neither are the EPs. All the soundset are slightly different because of the effects section. I first noticed the difference when I brought it home! I bought it mainly because the studios I work in have Tritons or Triton Racks and instead of gettin a used Triton I saw the Little LE and said oh thats cool, thought about bringing it back but then there is the keyboard curse! once you bring one back you will never be able to keep another keyboard for life! so I made the choice to keep It! plus I got mine for $900
so I cant complain!

Back