Trap Music Chords

Status
Not open for further replies.

CavalliCurt

Can some one with this knowledge state some Chords, chord progressions, scales used in this type of music?

Please no smart answers, If you have something useful please post

Can some one with this knowledge state some Chords, chord progressions, scales used in this type of music?

Please no smart answers, If you have something useful please post

dark chors with gate effects /delays and flangers layered with pads

any scale, any chord, simple progressions:

T.I - Whatever You Like (Dm - Bb - F - C) and that's just I-VI-III-VII, that's common resolution type ****. I notice brass notes outline the root note of these chord changes in either whole/half notes.

go for it.

I just learned from some FP members that you don't need chords or music theory. Just bang some keys and you got a hit. Or better hire some musicians or ghost procuers to produce for you like Diddy....he must be doing something right because he gets that dough

Last edited:
I just learned from some FP members that you don't need chords or music theory. Just bang some keys and you got a hit. Or better hire some musicians or ghost procuers to produce for you like Diddy....he must be doing something right because he gets that dough

Chillllllllllllllll, I'm trynna learn here, I don't want this to turn into one of "those" thread

any scale, any chord, simple progressions:

T.I - Whatever You Like (Dm - Bb - F - C) and that's just I-VI-III-VII, that's common resolution type ****. I notice brass notes outline the root note of these chord changes in either whole/half notes.

go for it.

Whatever you like is one of the more bright southern tracks, I don't really catagorize it as trap. Thanks for the example tho

4 chord progressions don't fit into trap music. That **** is too complicated for the average listener...

What you need is a simple 3 chord progression like:

Key: Am

Am - Dm - G (-Am) = I - IV - VII

the best thing would be to make a catchy melody around those chords....like for example take A D and G as the bass notes and put a simple melody on top

Last edited:
Whatever You Like is not a bright BEAT, it's just a happy ass song as the final product.

it's a deep saw lead, some string stabs and a few square fills. it's not anymore darker than Lollipop as a BEAT.

and laugh, the AVERAGE POP SONG, has no more than 5 chords. Do three chords if you want/it sounds good, but let's not make it seem like 4 chord wouldn't work or that the music world isn't ready for such magnitudes yet. Live Your Life only has 4 chords.

Whatever You Like is not a bright BEAT, it's just a happy ass song as the final product.

it's a deep saw lead, some string stabs and a few square fills. it's not anymore darker than Lollipop as a BEAT.

and laugh, the AVERAGE POP SONG, has no more than 5 chords. Do three chords if you want/it sounds good, but let's not make it seem like 4 chord wouldn't work or that the music world isn't ready for such magnitudes yet. Live Your Life only has 4 chords.

Simplicity is key. Your chord progression is actually a bad example. 3 of the 4 chords are major...= Bright = Happy

breaking scale is kinda popular in trap muzik
it gives us that spooky effect

a warning though
say you jump scale on the snare ....everything that hits during that time should switch accordingly
you want to make sure none of your melodies are clashing

meanwhile it's all about the voicing, just because the root falls on
the D/Bb/F/C's doesn't mean anything until it's voiced to form a full chord.

for all we know things can get chromatic and those can turn minor or inverted up top.

I could write down the typical Shawty Redd Trap progression but that **** is easy better go figure that out yourself.

Best way to learn is just remake joints like those and once you got it down packed add your own style to it. All it really is the whole melody is being transposed up and down half or whole steps and the melody its self is all in a minor scale. Just experiment and play around....

Last edited:
I could write down the typical Shawty Redd Trap progression but that **** is easy better go figure that out yourself.

I can match samples and find there corresponding scale by ear, but breaking down chords... I can't see my self doing that... So it would be helpful for you to write down the progression.

Alright check it, With what I've learned from this thread so far... From the first response post till now... I've come up with this snippet.

http://usershare.net/6l7z2setiuuz

I hope yall will stick around in this thread and help me finish this... Imma need help with transitions next. I think I'm going to use this for the hook....

Let me know if you here somethin that can be improved.

Last edited:
4 chord progressions don't fit into trap music. That **** is too complicated for the average listener...

What you need is a simple 3 chord progression like:

Key: Am

Am - Dm - G (-Am) = I - IV - VII

the best thing would be to make a catchy melody around those chords....like for example take A D and G as the bass notes and put a simple melody on top

I used this chord progression, I don't know if you can really hear it or if I even played it correctly.....

thats actually good
i like it

on the 2nd bar you hit that falling synth 3 x and the note ends
but the horn is still going

it doesnt feel/sound right to me, not saying you should do this but
if it were MY beat id extend the notes on that bar to match the length of the horns u hit

i dont like the 808 sounds themselves tho.. specially those last ones on the end of the loop

one lastttt thing
NAME your beats. if you give them a name theyre alot easier to sort/remember for not just you but the artist
also naming the tracks give the artist ideas as for where to go with the song
it helps more than you think

only bringing this up cuz the mp3 is titled instru 13... not very inspiring lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back