Top Rap Album Sales 02/12/09

Compared to the names in front of them... those numbers look horrible.

I guess with all of the revenue streams - ringtones, singles, touring, endorsements, guest appearances, etc... it could pan out to be a living... I do know that people give celebrities stuff for free though.

My Uncle used to box and wasn't really that good, he got on TV one time and got stomped... but just because of his name local stores used to give him ish for free. We went sneaker shopping and the guy that owned the store recognized him and said "Aren't you?" and he said "Yeah". He told my Uncle "Oh, just take those sneakers and get you another pair, let me get you a matching sweatsuit out of the back... tell everybody where you got it at!"... my Uncle took all of that ish, lol. He would get food for free at places too... I guess having name recognition has it's perks.... and his name was nowhere near as recognizeable as some of these artists. He was a regular sparring partner with Larry Holmes though... and he turned down a million to spar with Mike Tyson, he went to train with Frank Bruno instead for pennies. I think he was scared of Mike or something... they have to pay their own medical bills, lol.

I know I don't turn on radio or search out music too hard, but I didn't know half of them nuccas were still releasing ish, I had no clue some of those albums had been out so long. And lastly, I can't believe the low sales either. That is the whole of the US, right? Out of 300m, that number of sales???

Also, what would have been acceptable in the 90s? Has the US changed the gold/plat/etc certifications/levels?

I know I don't turn on radio or search out music too hard, but I didn't know half of them nuccas were still releasing ish, I had no clue some of those albums had been out so long. And lastly, I can't believe the low sales either. That is the whole of the US, right? Out of 300m, that number of sales???

Also, what would have been acceptable in the 90s? Has the US changed the gold/plat/etc certifications/levels?

Yes its out of the whole U.S.A. What's acceptable from a BUSINESS stand point in regards to sales all depends on what the budget allocated towards the project. In the 90's you had acts like UGK and Too Short for example that were selling heavy 6 figures in sales with virtually zero video or radio support. The profit margins were beautiful. For those that did like Eminem and Nelly for example your talking 6-10 X platinum sales.

In 2009 there is no 'middle class' in terms of financial viability in Hip Hop...its a 3rd world nation were you have a couple of acts doing fine (Lil Wayne/Kanye/T.I.) and then a big drop to the point where you have acts like Fabolous and Rick Ross getting extensive video and radio play and failing to break Gold status. The temporary savior for a moment was ringtones but that is fading out quickly and download singles BUT in order to sell major single units you must have a radio smash hit and the format is dominated by a Pop sound that is moving away from a urban influence (currently dance dominated) and heading towards rock/country slant.

Last edited:
Goodbye Hip-Hop, hello House.
Three 6 Mafia just did a video for their song with Tiesto...hmmm.
The "rap" sound is fading away, the mainstream will be rap pop electro house while the niche market for those true Hip-Hop heads will remain.

Well, that's how I see it anyway.

Look at all those big names who had monster singles, and who's album isn't even past gold...

12/4/Drake/So Far Gone/12,316/257,579

12/8/Kid Cudi/Man on the Moon/6,355/215,767

11/14/New Boyz/Skinny Jeanz & A Mic/3,830/47,429

13/15/Pitbull/Rebelution/3,419/126,970

35/40/Flo Rida/R.O.O.T.S/1,015/241,030

50/32/Soulja Boy/Souljaboytellem/1,239/337,751

Producers...THESE ARE YOUR PLACEMENT SALES.

If you got a joint on SB's album, @ $.06 per unit sold, you'd have $20,000...and that's being GENEROUS.

Drakes album was a mixtape that already had like 2 million downloads. Thats pretty good money if you count in the 1m+ sales of Best I ever Had on Itunes.

Yeah Rome I was just thinking about that the other day....his presence online and promotion wise was crazy up to his album release and then you don't see *anything* now......I think that's the way to go...pub the ish out of your stuff before it drops....then go on tour while the album still sells.

Drakes album was a mixtape that already had like 2 million downloads. Thats pretty good money if you count in the 1m+ sales of Best I ever Had on Itunes.

I don't think people realize that the music industry releases THOUSANDS of albums per year.

it's like a 99% FAILURE rate in the major label system.

I don't think people realize that the music industry releases THOUSANDS of albums per year.

it's like a 99% FAILURE rate in the major label system.

If I could find the numbers for artists that sell under 1000 units their first week, it would shock so many people.
Can't remember where I saw it but it was horrible.

Now the ones that sell have to recoup for the rest of the flops.
Broken system is broken.

If I could find the numbers for artists that sell under 1000 units their first week, it would shock so many people.
Can't remember where I saw it but it was horrible.

Now the ones that sell have to recoup for the rest of the flops.
Broken system is broken.

Try this link:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/87112/report-only-5-of-physical-cds-sold-more-than-1000-in-2008/

Only 5% of all CDs released in 2008 sold more than 1000 copies. I don't have the 2009 figures yet but I remember reading somewhere that it was about 1%.

Thanks.
There you go folks, 5%.

Keep in mind that the vast majority (85% on average) of acts signed to a major label NEVER release a album before getting shelved/dropped. This information is not being put out there to deter artists/musicians from pursuing success in the music business but to let them get a realistic perspective of whats going which is why I post the album sales up beyond the Top 200 as well. I've personally witnessed far too many people spend 5-7 figures as well as many years of sweat and toil CHASING after success when in fact they should be BUILDING their own success. Going into 2010 looking at album sales as the main indicator of success is obsolete especially when the 'recording industry' is now being based off of a 360 degree of business approach.

@ Legal Dollaz

I got a question to you, lately there have been threads that Ryan Leslie is doing something wrong since he's not all upfront, but mostly they talked about his music than his business moves.

Ok, his music might not touch anyone emotionally, but business-wise he's exactly doing what you're preaching the whole time. I've watched his online game for a while now and I have taken notes as well.

First of all he utilizes social media pretty well and also implements social media to his website, you can comment there only when you log in with Facebook Connect, he also does high quality videos, this time he didn't do too many because he'll bring out a DVD. He gives away free tickets to his concerts (those who respond the fastest get them) on his Twitter.

He basically has a close fan relation and has build himself a supportive fan base that buy his album for sure.

Of course what he's doing musically might be up to everyone's taste, I mostly don't agree with "forcing" Cassie to bring that last bit straight note out of her, if he had someone that actually can sing and looks good he'd be better off IMO.

But isn't he doing business-wise something right instead of wrong?

Producer-wise I think Tricky Stewart has the upper hand, he's producing HIT SINGLES for everybody right now.

@ Legal Dollaz

I got a question to you, lately there have been threads that Ryan Leslie is doing something wrong since he's not all upfront, but mostly they talked about his music than his business moves.

Ok, his music might not touch anyone emotionally, but business-wise he's exactly doing what you're preaching the whole time. I've watched his online game for a while now and I have taken notes as well.

First of all he utilizes social media pretty well and also implements social media to his website, you can comment there only when you log in with Facebook Connect, he also does high quality videos, this time he didn't do too many because he'll bring out a DVD. He gives away free tickets to his concerts (those who respond the fastest get them) on his Twitter.

He basically has a close fan relation and has build himself a supportive fan base that buy his album for sure.

Of course what he's doing musically might be up to everyone's taste, I mostly don't agree with "forcing" Cassie to bring that last bit straight note out of her, if he had someone that actually can sing and looks good he'd be better off IMO.

Producer-wise I think Tricky Stewart has the upper hand, he's producing HIT SINGLES for everybody right now.

Two things he's doing wrong.

1. NO HITS. Don't be fooled with fanbases and cult followings. If you are signed to a major label, the name of the game is HITS. In facts 1 HIT >>>>> a classic album with no hits. Ask Flo-rida. Why is he an international star with some worse albums?

And when you make hits, how you look like means NOTHING. Compare Aretha Franklin to the other RnB stars of her time.

2. Since he has no hits/brilliant music, all the great business ideas won't help him. Especially on the internet. To test if a song is good enough, ask yourself, when you heard a song of his (a SONG, not a video), did you immediately feel like telling someone about it? If you didn't, then it wasn't good enough to blow up on the internet. Because the internet works on word of mouth.

@ Legal Dollaz

Are you comparing Ryan Leslie from a artist stand point vs Tricky Stewart as a producer?

Two things he's doing wrong.

1. NO HITS. Don't be fooled with fanbases and cult followings. If you are signed to a major label, the name of the game is HITS. In facts 1 HIT >>>>> a classic album with no hits. Ask Flo-rida. Why is he an international star with some worse albums?

And when you make hits, how you look like means NOTHING. Compare Aretha Franklin to the other RnB stars of her time.

2. Since he has no hits/brilliant music, all the great business ideas won't help him. Especially on the internet. To test if a song is good enough, ask yourself, when you heard a song of his (a SONG, not a video), did you immediately feel like telling someone about it? If you didn't, then it wasn't good enough to blow up on the internet. Because the internet works on word of mouth.

Good post. There is no exact scientific measurement when it comes to the 'IT' factor most mainstream acts must have in order to dominate the landscape regardless of how well you move on a business level. Even most artists that do create hit records often only do it ONCE and then vanish off the map due to the record becoming bigger than they are. Maybe in the LONG RUN Ryan Leslie online maneuvers may help him sustain if not ever 'blow up'.

Last edited:
I'm not comparing him to Tricky Stewart, Tricky just popped into my mind that's why I added that there, I was just asking if RLes is doing it right or not, simple.

RLes might as well do it right but with no IT factor, meaning no hits. In the end this is also art and much more than reading business books and doing everything like it's been taught.

I read enough articles on the internet, how important it is to utilize the internet and social media, but if it was that easy like the authors make it seem everyone would be successful with that, notice I didn't say "everyone would be doing it" because a lot of people are already doing it just with less success.

I guess the IT factor can't be taught lol, even if you do everything else PERFECTLY.

Keep in mind that the vast majority (85% on average) of acts signed to a major label NEVER release a album before getting shelved/dropped. This information is not being put out there to deter artists/musicians from pursuing success in the music business but to let them get a realistic perspective of whats going which is why I post the album sales up beyond the Top 200 as well. I've personally witnessed far too many people spend 5-7 figures as well as many years of sweat and toil CHASING after success when in fact they should be BUILDING their own success. Going into 2010 looking at album sales as the main indicator of success is obsolete especially when the 'recording industry' is now being based off of a 360 degree of business approach.

Oh yes, the shelving.
Ouch.
Wouldn't like to see those figures.

I still don't understand why some people still chase major label deals when all the tools are available at their disposal to create a sustainable career in music without worrying about what you owe to Universal, or if you'll even drop an album.

I'd choose my own empire over a major label deal anyday.

Oh yes, the shelving.
Ouch.
Wouldn't like to see those figures.

I still don't understand why some people still chase major label deals when all the tools are available at their disposal to create a sustainable career in music without worrying about what you owe to Universal, or if you'll even drop an album.

I'd choose my own empire over a major label deal anyday.

Because we live in a 'come up' society where many look to get the most results from putting up the least effort. Instead of taking advantage of the ability to connect directly to the consumer via the Internet by building their OWN INDUSTRY (before it required a major distribution system dominated by the major labels) most are content being a 'welfare case' begging to be 'put on'...to a industry that is having problems putting itself on due to the decentralization of the consumer collective mindshare.

So instead of new crops being planted for a future harvest its reaching the point where the game is putting ketchup and pickles on its own hand and eating itself alive lol. Most of course don't want to hear this because their mentality is - Why worry about figuring out how to properly market and promote yourself, develop a core audience and come up with the financies yourself and take the burden of risk when you can get signed and let the major label spend their money and 'make' you into a star? Even when its obvious that the VAST majority of success (especially on the urban/hip hop side) within the major label system itself was borne out of the independent entrepreneur spirt of the 'streets'.

How many people are even paying attention to what is REALLY going in the business anyway? Most are too busy being glorified fans gaining their perspective of the business by visiting sites like worldstarhiphop to know about links like this:

http://interscopedigitaldistribution.com./

http://unimodigitaldistribution.com./

http://idjfirstlook.com./

http://republicdd.com./

As you can see the majors are adjusting their business model from being dominated by the sale of the finished product to earning money off of the creative PROCESS of not only the artists signed to their label but YOU! This is why they've done deals with Myspace and You Tube (the new VEVO site launches in a couple of days) which allows them to get paid off of YOUR attempt to get YOUR music out to the masses. Brilliant.

Wake up sleepy heads, don't sit there waiting for a miracle turn around in album sales and the return of the late 90s/early 2000's, thats FINISHED. The big boys know this and are making their moves....are you????

Last edited:
Back