Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tired Of Yall dissin "Mumble Rap"

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I don't weigh in on this stuff often, but I heard one today (let's call him "tiny spout").

"Igahbeeshesinnahose, callaflahnose, rathaseeyahangalocka bominothaclothes..."

I'm inclined to agree with those that think this trend is a new low in every way...

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    These days it's all about the producers. Very few rappers actually manage to mesh well enough with a beat to be considered the beat itself.
    Being completely real with yall, very few rappers will actually make the beat.
    Producer since 2010.
    Tecmo, Ubisoft, Bandai, Marvel, Arc.

Thanks
    I think there there was bad rap since it first started. If you think about it every era had bad songs. You need bad songs so you can have good songs. I think when it comes to mumble rap you have to really blame the influence of mainstream culture and radio because they are pushing this kind of music to the general public. Whether we like it or not, is up to the listener. People HATED Rock when it got popular it comes with the territory. But if the problem resides around mumble rap ruining hip hop, I would say that we just need to be more proactive in taking accountability when making music. As producers and engineers we could raise our standards during sessions. We can be more critical, we can demand more from the artist. We can make better music. We keep talking about mumble rap but who are the top artists in the game right now. Think about it. Nobody brings up lil pumps name or lil Yachty (No disrespect to them. Thats just fact). We say people like a Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, logic..etc. If that's the case it proves that musicianship and artistry is still important.
    As a hip hop community we need to hold all artists to higher standard and promote more competition. THat's what made hip hop great to begin with. That's just my two sense.
    "This is from De'Source of Course" ~ De'Source
    http://www.iamdesource.com

Thanks
    I guess I'll try to do some pro-bono consultant work for the mumble rap advocates, as they seem to be without much proper defense.

1. As a compositional device it's use in earlier stages of the lyric writing process is most notably documented in the account of Yesterday by The Beatles. Specifically McCartney began with "Scrambled eggs, oh, my baby, how I love your legs...". Traditionally this is used as a placeholder until a final form is created, but it's important to note similar accounts start with essentially non-words being used as placeholders of syllables or rhymes intended.
    (Yesterday: the song that started as Scrambled Eggs - Telegraph)

2. Ever increasing complexity of poetic devices as well as depth of thought have become a staple of the genre for quite some time, but lurking beneath the surface there has always existed a simple straightforward current of less attention consuming/sensitive styles that appeals to a wide swath of consumers. To step back from this smaller frame of reference and plot it's trajectory amongst a grander scale, we can see historical precedence for this current "phenomenon". Insert Mark Twain quote, "History never repeats itself, but the Kaleidoscopic combinations of the pictured present often seem to be constructed out of the broken fragments of antique legends" to presuppose this historical assertion "First there was 60s folk, then 70s punk, then 90s grunge. Whenever pop music starts to get too fancy, there’s a swing back toward simplicity. There’s a return to its roots. Every virtuoso phase is followed by a folk rebellion."
    (History Does Not Repeat Itself, But It Rhymes | Quote Investigator)
    (Grunge and Philosophy | The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)

3. In the same vein as Yin and Yang, mumble rap is complementary to it's more lyrically complex counterpart. Largely absent from the ongoing discussion at hand is that while the contrasts seem stark the fact remains that both "give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another". The question has to be asked, if it isn't concise ideas being clearly communicated in what seems to be regarded as a more traditional sense what does the lack of verbage allow to flourish in such performances? I would say it's the conveyance of an emotion that is presented under the premise that clear words may be in fact hindering the transmission, in essence diluting it, and to avoid having the emotions texture become subservient to subsequent "translations" words themselves are treated as almost an enemy.
    (Yin and yang - Wikipedia)

4. I really can't stop shaking my head at the irony of this entire pursuit. Even more shameful is the fact that I can continue spouting along these lines all day, but I'll do everyone a favor and end it here.

Thanks
    In my opinion rap was meant to say something but that's not how everyone interprets it when you play a beat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatnessDaProducer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mumble rap is all about the beat these dudes add nothing to a beat ever these producers be carrying these artist only so they can fade away months later while kendrick and cole will keep goin strong because they actually have talent and a real fan base that will stick until they retire

Thanks
    I told my homeboys that sold crack in the 80s and 90s they couldn't be mad at mumble rappers or rappers that keep repeating themselves, because it's their damned fault their stangs kid came out retarded. Chuuuuuch!

#HeavensUPRecords
    Last edited by michaeltking79; 12-17-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Every era has it's genres/styles and every era has garbage. For 90s peeps it was boy bands. lol.
    I don't want to insult anyone, but I agree with something I think Melle Mel said that rap is low hanging fruit right now. It's become so easy to do, so everyone does it and it's all pretty bad. We need the next era of hip-hop/rap to come along with something new and exciting again.

Thread Information