Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timeless Hip Hop tracks that were Pop Radio Hits

Thanks

Timeless Hip Hop tracks that were Pop Radio Hits

Sign in to disable this ad
    Arrested Development had 3 singles reach the top 10 on the Billboard...this was 20 years ago and all these tracks still sound fresh.

They were proof you could talk about real issues with a spiritual bent to them and still make it big.

I loved "Tennessee" when I heard it but "Mr Wendal" was what convinced me to buy the cassette tape...the entire album is classic and still stands up today(they're still making albums btw)

Who else on pop radio has talked about universal issues like homelessness? 20 years later this problem is only getting worse...I hope the wisdom here didn't fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by im1ufo; 08-23-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway" - Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Love Arrested Development. They had a positive conscious message.
    [COLOR=#BBBBBB][FONT=Verdana][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#BBBBBB][FONT=Verdana][SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lanorrishughes/no-justice-no-peace[/SOUNDCLOUD][/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks
    What's sad is, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they break up over "corporate politics"(money) once they blew up?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup View Post
    What's sad is, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they break up over "corporate politics"(money) once they blew up?

New album for 2012..it's FREE

I like the Jim Morrison quote they included in the new music video(Whoever Controls the Media Controls the Mind)

Nas said Hip Hop is dead.

Arrested Development says Hip Hop has been buried alive.

Last edited by im1ufo; 08-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway" - Bob Dylan

Thanks

Thanks
    yeah that Nappy Roots track is top-notch..I should really give more of their music a listen. the only other track I've ever heard from them was on a Madden game..I believe it featured Marcos from the christian/rap/metal/reggae band P.O.D. on guitar...which doesn't sound quite as timeless as "Po Folks", but is still a great song
    Last edited by im1ufo; 08-24-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing!
    The happiest people are not those who own all the best things, but the ones who can really appreciate the beauty of life.[img]http://us87.com/images/xeaf1.gif[/img]

Thanks
    Maybe it's still possible to turn things around. If the people support conscious music, the labels will eventually take notice. I guess it's about captivating the public's imagination.

Thanks
    Great song. I'm not really a Roots album fan....I like some of their songs.

uuuup....uuuuuuuup!!!!!! Ooooooooooh......give me that snare, fool! I'mma thief....sue me.
    Last edited by 901_Rice_Street; 08-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    If hip hop wants to see a return of music with substance at the forefront it starts with taking OWNERSHIP on a business level of the artform which in this age of technology doesn't take $100 million in advance and the majors can no longer block you via control of the distribution pipeline.

Thread Information