Timeless Hip Hop tracks that were Pop Radio Hits

im1ufo

Arrested Development had 3 singles reach the top 10 on the Billboard...this was 20 years ago and all these tracks still sound fresh.

They were proof you could talk about real issues with a spiritual bent to them and still make it big.

I loved "Tennessee" when I heard it but "Mr Wendal" was what convinced me to buy the cassette tape...the entire album is classic and still stands up today(they're still making albums btw)

Who else on pop radio has talked about universal issues like homelessness? 20 years later this problem is only getting worse...I hope the wisdom here didn't fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:
Love Arrested Development. They had a positive conscious message.

What's sad is, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they break up over "corporate politics"(money) once they blew up?

New album for 2012..it's FREE

I like the Jim Morrison quote they included in the new music video(Whoever Controls the Media Controls the Mind)

Nas said Hip Hop is dead.

Arrested Development says Hip Hop has been buried alive.

Last edited:
yeah that Nappy Roots track is top-notch..I should really give more of their music a listen. the only other track I've ever heard from them was on a Madden game..I believe it featured Marcos from the christian/rap/metal/reggae band P.O.D. on guitar...which doesn't sound quite as timeless as "Po Folks", but is still a great song

Last edited:
Maybe it's still possible to turn things around. If the people support conscious music, the labels will eventually take notice. I guess it's about captivating the public's imagination.

Great song. I'm not really a Roots album fan....I like some of their songs.

uuuup....uuuuuuuup!!!!!! Ooooooooooh......give me that snare, fool! I'mma thief....sue me.

Last edited:
If hip hop wants to see a return of music with substance at the forefront it starts with taking OWNERSHIP on a business level of the artform which in this age of technology doesn't take $100 million in advance and the majors can no longer block you via control of the distribution pipeline.

Great song. I'm not really a Roots album fan....I like some of their songs.

uuuup....uuuuuuuup!!!!!! Ooooooooooh......give me that snare, fool! I'mma thief....sue me.

Yeah, that was Scott Storch's first record he produced after he left The Roots and started to hang out wit Dr.Dre.

No one can deny smoothness no matter what year it is. If this came out today it would still have the same impact. Who could hate this song?

When I first heard this I lost my mind. And when I find my mind...I lose it again every time I hear it since the first.

Those "ahhhhhhhhs" must have came on in dudes head that broke into LL's crib when he saw him. This shit makes me want to go do 1 bar loops like right now!

Last edited:
If hip hop wants to see a return of music with substance at the forefront it starts with taking OWNERSHIP on a business level of the artform which in this age of technology doesn't take $100 million in advance and the majors can no longer block you via control of the distribution pipeline.

Hate to say it, but we are so far gone now, it ain't coming back. I agree with your statement, but the powers that be has already made this generation grown-up in a way, that it is impossible to see that happening.

1. To make music with substance - means to tell the truth - even if it costs.
This generation doesn't believe in that. No songs about gays.

2. Beefs would have to eliminate the weak songs - like KRS did to PM Dawn
This generation doesn't believe in beefs.

3. Speaking about black issues and how white corrupt powers have manipulated the mass thought pattern.
This generation believes in harmony, not separatist speech. - No Public Enemy, BDP or X-clans.

It won't return...sad

Last edited:

3. Speaking about black issues and how white corrupt powers have manipulated the mass thought pattern.
This generation believes in harmony, not separatist speech. - No Public Enemy, BDP or X-clans.

It won't return...sad

Those types of topics never existed in "POP" hip hop. Hip hop doesn't have to be that extreme to "not" be water down in a pop culture. It's just people's minds are not on that level. Their in a matrix. People followed the sound of music for years and since it sounds how it sounds today they go for it....because they are followers. But they fail to see every year the new outkast (no pun) of the normal pop culture. Like some of the ones I posted. I can go down every year from 91' and post those outkast who went a different direction than the norm. Even as the West dominated and East dominated....their were people who weren't from those coast or sound nothing like those who held their own. So there is proof that any style of music (even in hip hop) can have success in the pop era. As a producer with a group of individuals things can happen. As a producer looking for acknoledgement you must sound a certain way. Either way the people decide every time. Win the people, win the battle.....or....just get on the conveyor belt with the rest and gain success that way.

Momma make way better dressing than KFC.......not enough people to compete with KFC...but why compete with them? If she sold the dressing in local stores.....then they become successful enough to spread outside the city.....then on and on and on....without having to compete. That dressing will get acknowledgment.

Last edited:
Those types of topics never existed in "POP" hip hop. Hip hop doesn't have to be that extreme to "not" be water down in a pop culture. It's just people's minds are not on that level. Their in a matrix. People followed the sound of music for years and since it sounds how it sounds today they go for it....because they are followers. But they fail to see every year the new outkast (no pun) of the normal pop culture. Like some of the ones I posted. I can go down every year from 91' and post those outkast who went a different direction than the norm. Even as the West dominated and East dominated....their were people who weren't from those coast or sound nothing like those who held their own. So there is proof that any style of music (even in hip hop) can have success in the pop era. As a producer with a group of individuals things can happen. As a producer looking for acknoledgement you must sound a certain way. Either way the people decide every time. Win the people, win the battle.....or....just get on the conveyor belt with the rest and gain success that way.

Momma make way better dressing than KFC.......not enough people to compete with KFC...but why compete with them? If she sold the dressing in local stores.....then they become successful enough to spread outside the city.....then on and on and on....without having to compete. That dressing will get acknowledgment.

They did exist in Pop Music

Eminem -Song about gays/boybands made him popular .
Public Enemy - Fight the Power song about black panther power - made them go bigger
LL Cool J Diss track - Mama Said knock you out was a rebuttal to those dissing him at the time.

What are talking about.. I could go on

Last edited:
They did exist in Pop Music

Eminem -Song about gays/boybands made him popular .
Public Enemy - Fight the Power song about black panther power - made them go bigger
LL Cool J Diss track - Mama Said knock you out was a rebuttal to those dissing him at the time.

What are talking about.. I could go on

Go on.........those are not go examples. lol! I might give you Fight The Power. But the other two....man give me some more. Enimem......a successful comedian rapper who has some serious topics and songs in the pop world....easily blend the two. Hmmmm....what song did he make specifically about gays in the POP world (serious question)? LL......Momma Said Knock You Out? If that is one then you have no complaints. A song about dissing MC's can be popular today if done in a "commercial" type of way instead of the usual.

Go on........come on with it!

Last edited:
Go on.........those are not go examples. lol! I might give you Fight The Power. But the other two....man give me some more. Enimem......a successful comedian rapper who has some serious topics and songs in the pop world....easily blend the two. Hmmmm....what song did he make specifically about gays in the POP world (serious question)? LL......Momma Said Knock You Out? If that is one then you have no complaints. A song about dissing MC's can be popular today if done in a "commercial" type of way instead of the usual.

Go on........come on with it!

I just gave you examples, just cause you don't like em - don't mean it didn't happen.

Enimem - 'My Name Is' - went off on everyone nothing held back. Stop making long ass excuses. It is what is was.
He can't even say that stuff today. The apology with Elton John. Hello.

Not here to make you feel justified, but telling the truth as it was

If hip hop wants to see a return of music with substance at the forefront -Legal Dollarz

So, that was the response to that phrase. You should read the thread posting right
before you post your 'stupid hoe ass' comments.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but we are so far gone now, it ain't coming back. I agree with your statement, but the powers that be has already made this generation grown-up in a way, that it is impossible to see that happening.

It won't return...sad

It's true nobody really does believe in beefs anymore. And if an older artist sends a mean track to a younger artist everybody cries that the older artist is being a bully. It gets on my nerves sometimes.

On issues 1 and 3 I can't really agree though. Plenty of substance in Hip Hop out there you just got to find it. Dudes today aren't about to rap about the same issues that they rapped about in the 90's. Also their won't be as many black issues rap because Hip Hop has grew to the point where it isn't just a predominantly black genre anymore.

I just gave you examples, just cause you don't like em - don't mean it didn't happen.

Enimem - 'My Name Is' - went off on everyone nothing held back. Stop making long ass excuses. It is what is was.
He can't even say that stuff today. The apology with Elton John. Hello.

Not here to make you feel justified, but telling the truth as it was

If hip hop wants to see a return of music with substance at the forefront -Legal Dollarz

So, that was the response to that phrase. You should read the thread posting right
before you post your 'stupid hoe ass' comments.

Stupid hoe wasn't referring to you..........it just reminds me of Momma said knock you out....something rappers in the pop world don't do any more (as you say). I mean if you posted other examples besides that then yeah. IMO......a diss track can be in the pop world....dudes sneak dissin all the time though (like LL to the pop world vs the hip hop world). He said their name once in that song right? Who knew who he was talking about in the POP world....all they know is Momma said knock you out. Now apologize...got dammit!!

lol!...................smh......................just................smh....(rice....just let him have it.....just let him have it man...damn.)

Well.....back on topic. Back to this timeless music. Music that doesn't have an era...it's here forever.

Last edited:
Back