Timbaland addresses the "Do It" controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
he still don't see it how it is, he used someone else's work without clearing it.

Last edited:
**** him. "i found it so i can use it" PLEEZ.

i guess i'll be "finding" a lot of timbo beats from now on.

1005 said:
**** him. "i found it so i can use it" PLEEZ.

i guess i'll be "finding" a lot of timbo beats from now on.

ill have to check this out when i get home, too busy now, but he actually said that?? he must have gotten screwed over in the past to feel that way

Yea, he did. first he says that he can't really speak about the issue cos of legal things, but then goes on about how he can't know if something is public domain or not blahblah etc and goes on into that "i found it" thing.

"I haven't ripped anyone off, but i have sampled them" ... i guess he doesn't see the point that if you don't pay the dude who you are sampling, you are RIPPING THEM OFF.

Last edited:
smh.....this dude may go from top of the favorite list to the bottom, depending on how he acts about this whole situation, it shows maturity, if he just accepts what he did, if he denies it, like apparently hes doing, than i could give a **** about him....ill be back later after i hear this

Wow way to play dumb Timbo....lol I had alot of respect for timbo until I heard this. I knew about the whole ordeal but wasn't sure how much of it was his fault. Now it's obvious that he just used the sh*t and didn't care. I don't really even have a problem with that. The problem is if you get caught then you need to man up and compensate that person you sampled. Don't try to sit there and play like it's ok for you to deny this person credit for the track.

everyone going to start heading over to polow da don...lol

timbo still a beast tho...long as it aint my track he jacked..we all coooollll..lol

Ratbat said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkHbfbQAc4&eurl=

opinions?

If you want to hear the full radio interview and new Hives track from Shock Value click my siggy...

I listened to that Hives track, and to be honest, I wasn't feeling it. I guess I don't like the Hives when they're doing their (own) music, so I guess I shouldn't have expected to like this. Although, I thought Timbo was going to get real creative with manipulating the guitar sounds.

He sampled it from a demo on his commodore or whatever. Everyone who ever used an arp setting, midi sequence, or drum pattern that came in their workstation/program can shut up. How are any of you gonna try to pull the "holier than thou" attitude, all the sampling, arps, and presets that get put into the tracks that flood FP.

You guys just wait for a reason to hate everything up here. Can't wait til you realize storch rips of orchestra and opera riffs, but I guess it's cool because those guys have been dead 400-600 years? Just Blaze rips off 80s rock and mutilates the sample to the point it doesn't have to be cleared, why not get him too?

You telling me timbo scrolled thru his keyboard, heard that demo(much like you hear a drum pattern, midi sequence, or arp)and maliciously decided he was gonna rip smeone off? I'm pretty sure he never thought he was doing anything wrong, I wouldn't have, if you would, stop using workstations of any kind and go to live instruments, you can inadvertantly do the exact same "stealing".

Hypocrites.

Last edited:
^^^ i feel that. but people are gonna hear tim claim he's the best and get pissed that hes so 'confident' or 'arrogant', however they see it, and put down some solid haterade.

completely different. anyone in dc listen to elliott in the morning? when the hell they switch over to the hiphop ish??? of all the radio dudes, elliott is the dude to ask about tempest??? dayum. i knew i was on good ish back in the day listening to dc101.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
He sampled it from a demo on his commodore or whatever. Everyone who ever used an arp setting, midi sequence, or drum pattern that came in their workstation/program can shut up. How are any of you gonna try to pull the "holier than thou" attitude, all the sampling, arps, and presets that get put into the tracks that flood FP.

You guys just wait for a reason to hate everything up here. Can't wait til you realize storch rips of orchestra and opera riffs, but I guess it's cool because those guys have been dead 400-600 years? Just Blaze rips off 80s rock and mutilates the sample to the point it doesn't have to be cleared, why not get him too?

You telling me timbo scrolled thru his keyboard, heard that demo(much like you hear a drum pattern, midi sequence, or arp)and maliciously decided he was gonna rip smeone off? I'm pretty sure he never thought he was doing anything wrong, I wouldn't have, if you would, stop using workstations of any kind and go to live instruments, you can inadvertantly do the exact same "stealing".

Hypocrites.

lol, damn man, whats up your butt?

Let's get the facts straight. Timbo prolly doesn't even own a C64. We all know he owns a SID-machine which can be used to emulate C64 stuff. That piece of MELODY is not a preset anywhere. the sound is what it is, the sid-engines sound. using that sound is not a problem, using someone elses melody is. And de facto, there are NO preset melodies in SID-machines.

timbaland_c64.jpg

Few notes from the ORIGINAL artist, Tempest:

Acidjazzed Evening

(jump to Recent Events)
1. Song Info

In early August 2000, I, Janne Suni, released a song called Acidjazzed Evening under the moniker Tempest in the oldschool music competition at one of the largest demoparties, Assembly. The original format of the song is MOD, a module format originated on the Amiga computer. Moreover, the song can be further categorized as a chiptune. The lo-fi sound is typical for the chiptune genre and a conscious aesthetical choice. In the Assembly music competition the song got 4249 points from the voters, placing 1st out of 15 qualified entries. The complete results of Assembly 2000 can be found here.

Right after Assembly 2000, Acidjazzed Evening, as well as all the other competition entries released at the party, were uploaded to Scene.org, which is a registered non-profit organization aimed at providing the electronic art scene with a forum for communication and a platform to share their work.

I have never given up the copyrights of Acidjazzed Evening. I also have never authorized commercial use of the song. In 2002, however, Glenn Rune Gallefoss (also known as GRG) made a conversion/arrangement of the Acidjazzed Evening which was not released commercially. This arrangement was made on the Commodore 64 computer. It was authorized by me, and Glenn Rune Gallefoss explicitly asked for permission before releasing the arrangement.
2. Download Links

Acidjazzed Evening can be downloaded here:

MP3 encoding (4.5 MB)
Original MOD format (in ZIP archive, 17 kB)

Due to the now exotic nature of the MOD format, the MP3 encoding is preferred for correct playback.
3. Facts and hearsay - a note to journalists

This web page is the only 100% reliable source for comments from me, Janne Suni. Rumours, internet forums and the like are not proper sources if you wish to uphold any kind of standards in journalism. If I have any further comments, they will be published here.
4. Recent Events (updated)

I'll correct one persistent misconception: I have been using the services of a law firm since September 2006. Things are gradually developing behind the scenes, and whatever the result turns out to be like, I'll publish any available info here as soon as possible.

I have decided to set up an email address out of sheer interest. However, do NOT send me any of the following:
Interview requests
Requests for more information on the subject (all the related information I wish to publish will be published on this web page)
Nonsense

Please note that I might not be able to reply to every single email I receive, and I might delete the email account if I receive too much of the three aforementioned things.

acidjazzed-evening@hotmail.com

This page was last updated on Wednesday, 24th January 2007.

http://www.fairlight.fi/tempest/acidjazzed_evening/

xtrordinare said:

Hypocrites.

To me, it's not so much a question of Timbo sampling the C64 file/song that the Finnish dude did. The thing that I've got a (slight) issue with is him getting pissed off that the guy is "actually coming after him". Who knows if he knowingly used the track even though he knew it was written by someone else except for Timbo? But comparing this to Storch interpolating classical motives/refrains into his music is different simply from a legal standpoint. Timbaland used a work that was the intellectual property of someone, whereas most of the "classical" music that people think of when they think of "classical" music has become public domain. No one owns the copyright to Beethoven's symphonies anymore. When you buy sheet music of a Beethoven Sonata, you're paying the publishing house of the edition you're buying for their editorial notes/fingering/revision of the original manuscript.

Last edited:
Yea He Jacked Him One.he Need To Confess Now Before It Gets Way To Deep.go Ahead And Pay The Man You Got It Tim.

What's the aging for sampling stuff like that? 70 years or so? AFAIK the lisences for original songs stays within the legacy of the families but the actual sampling / interpolations is more available (could be wrong so anyone with more info can correct me). The fact that JB or anyone else samples, does that does not make it a good thing. sure, they should pay for it. But AFAIK, they are not tryin to sell those as ORIGINAL RINGTONES either?

xtrordinare said:
smh.....this dude may go from top of the favorite list to the bottom, depending on how he acts about this whole situation, it shows maturity, if he just accepts what he did, if he denies it, like apparently hes doing, than i could give a **** about him....ill be back later after i hear this
Yeh , he did acted kinda dumb, but i wouldnt boot him to the bottom of my list just because of this. Hes still a hott producer, I dont think this situation is going to stop him from producing hott records.

Which brings me to my next question? You guys judge your fav producer by their personality, or the way they act too?

I asked because, i thought it was all about music at one point. I dont care if your a retarted 90year old woman producer who has Tourette's lol. If the music hott, it is wat it is. lol

xtrordinare said:
lol, damn man, whats up your butt?
yeah, something's up mine, y'all the ones gettin' mad that Timbo does what any hip hop producer does. Sample.

All y'all need to stay out of real hip hop's bizness. Nigas sampled and got sued since the beginning of this sh*t. Just another day, and mo' B.S.

Y'all trying to take away from dudes whole catalog behind this b.s. Before Danjah, King, Hannon, Storch, Feilds, Jimmy, Nottz, this Finland f**ker, when Timbo did everything himself, or even when he was getting pimped by DeVante the same way you feel he pimps people now, no one on could f**k with him. Now he make music for some white folk and he's under a microscope.

If Timbo's wrong, hip hops wrong, and for all y'all to pretend it's what you love, it's pretty weak you don't realize that.

Yeah, I said it. Hip hop's an art, I'm tired of y'all millenium hip hop heads deciding 'what's wack" what "does and doesn't take talent". What's wrong and right and making your B.S. hip hop laws.

Just to add on, wasn't it just last week you dudes were going crazy over the way he flipped that Saw Theme in concert? You think he contacted ASCAP to make sure the original composer got performance rights? What about everyone who's ever used a clip from a movie as a song intro? People get f**ked in this business everyday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back