successful producers that went to music production school?

I'm sure that majority of the ones that went to "production schools" are not doin it to make better "beetz" or to get closer to getting "hip hop placements". Hip hop breaks the rules anyway. Now.....a person that goes or went thinking it would better them with their "beetz" most likely graduates with something else totally different on their mind like music for commercials, games, television......they make more music outside of hip hop (if they even think about hip hop production any more) or they want to become an engineer somewhere or something..........BE SOMETHING. I think it's a good idea if someone wants to go. But as far as hip hop.......a 55 year old white man who went to school for music would slaughter the game "right now" if he "wanted to" so we all should be thankful.........not only would he be able to bite Lex Luger correctly, but he would take that shit to the next level. lol

Graduates : Full Sail

I'm sure that majority of the ones that went to "production schools" are not doin it to make better "beetz" or to get closer to getting "hip hop placements". Hip hop breaks the rules anyway. Now.....a person that goes or went thinking it would better them with their "beetz" most likely graduates with something else totally different on their mind like music for commercials, games, television......they make more music outside of hip hop (if they even think about hip hop production any more) or they want to become an engineer somewhere or something..........BE SOMETHING. I think it's a good idea if someone wants to go. But as far as hip hop.......a 55 year old white man who went to school for music would slaughter the game "right now" if he "wanted to" so we all should be thankful.........not only would he be able to bite Lex Luger correctly, but he would take that shit to the next level. lol

Agreed !! but seriously not one person that i could name has been apart of hiphop music production that has been to school..... *Looks Around* Nope not 1

So much truth it hurts.

**** what anyone says, but hip-hop production is one of the easiest careers on the planet as far as education and work. Period.

I remember watching an interview with JR Rotem a few years ago he went to Berklee College for film scoring.

Idk, i know a lot of classically trained musicians that just can't get hip hop because they are used to how instruments are supposed to work in a traditional way. its like trying to explain to someone whose not in hip hop how scratching records work.

YouTube University is the way to go. Free Knowledge.

I look at the courses for Ableton Live at Berklee Online and then watch the free courses... and feel like somebody is robbing somebody.

"This is a volume knob often referred to as a fader, it's primary purpose is to increase loudness..."

"This is the pan control, it shifts sound from left to right..."

"See you at the next lesson, sign up for the full course and learn lots more. Learn things like what is a metronome, what a groove template is and last but not least where the off button is... all for $5,999.00"

Last edited by a moderator:
Interning at a studio > any education that any "music school" can give you.

I occasionally call the local studios in my area to ask if they're hiring or willing to do an intern/apprenticeship....even if I'm sweeping floors, just let me get close the mixing boards so I can bullshit with the engineers!! But they always ask me if I have this or that certification... I'm like, nah..lol

I took audio Production college courses a few years back. Tape editing is fun.....lol.

It will give you a solid foundation and if you have a passion for this music thang its a small price to pay imo.

Our instructor was an accomplished musician and engineer and well respected among her peers. :bigeyes:

She taught the class "to give back".

She also toured with some of the greats and worked in studios all around the globe.

It will also answer a lot of questions I see a lot of people ask over and over on this site.

Another good thing about attending these schools is that you will start to build a network which to me is priceless...

I might have to sign back up....lol

I go to school for audio and music production/business. The biggest bonus, besides guaranteed studio time consistently, is the exposure to differnt genres, as well as the large pool of interships available to successful students.

Also, every dorming student is involved in music, film, theater, radio, etc. It is a great place to network and connect to utilize eachother's skills to benefit eachother.

So there are benefits to going to school, but maybe not for everyone. Audio engineers looking to work in professional studios probably should go, hip hop beat makers probably shouldn't.

I go to school for audio and music production/business. The biggest bonus, besides guaranteed studio time consistently, is the exposure to differnt genres, as well as the large pool of interships available to successful students.

Also, every dorming student is involved in music, film, theater, radio, etc. It is a great place to network and connect to utilize eachother's skills to benefit eachother.

So there are benefits to going to school, but maybe not for everyone. Audio engineers looking to work in professional studios probably should go, hip hop beat makers probably shouldn't.

If you don't mind me asking, what school do you attend?

Wow.

In my classes there were all kinds of people. There were 'indie rocker types' in their 20's, mc's of varying ages, old school 'classic rocker types' in their 50's, beatmakers and even "I remember this one time in bandcamp..." types in my classes. All from different backgrounds and all with one common interest. Music.

Genre preference has nothing to do with it.

Discipline and dedication to learning / growing with music does.

One can always benefit from knowledge.

Sometimes its the tools but it always comes down to the mechanic.

You wanna be a better _______________ ??? Go to school. Period.

Last edited:
Hey,

Going back to the original question, you can take a look at a small selection of our former students who have gone on to have success after taking a course with us here:
* Point Blank Online
* Point Blank College

Don't want this to look too spammy, but if you are looking for some free resources, you can take a selection of our lessons from the Hip-Hop production course totally free too. It was developed by guys who have worked with De La Soul, Beyonce and Ganagstarr, and has just recently been updated for more relevent examples, etc. The sample course take you through some tutorials covering: Beat Analysis / Creating Your Own Samples / Gated Synthes / Programming Scratches / Dropping The Beat.

If you're interested and take a look at the sample course, then please let me know what you think of it. We appreciate any feedback that you guys can give us.

* Free Sample Courses

Cheers,
James - PB

Back