Songs with good chord progressions??

Bluntslide

Say I wanted to study some midi files and check out the chord progressions and how they work and what not, what would be some good hip hop/pop songs to look for?

Also, I was just gonna use google, but do any of yall know any good sites for finding these midi's?

Say I wanted to study some midi files and check out the chord progressions and how they work and what not, what would be some good hip hop/pop songs to look for?

Also, I was just gonna use google, but do any of yall know any good sites for finding these midi's?

The lyrics for the most part are subpar, but I always thought the chord progression on this beat was pretty unique.

its really the dissonance that the note combinations make that kind of stand out to me, I can usually predict how the next chord will sound in these type of beats but the first time I heard this I was wrong after the second chord, lol.

Last edited:
You have to start looking back... Chord progressions and harmony these days seems to be an afterthought...plain and dull...using the lowest common denominator. Especially now since the 90's euro dance sound is popular.

Rod Temperton's songs for Michael Jackson..."Off The Wall", "Rock With You", "Baby Be Mine", "P.Y.T."... Other Quincy Jones productions too, like "Stomp" or "Tomorrow" for Brothers Johnson.

Ok, these are in the vintage R&B-disco genre or whatever, but the chord progressions on those songs are just so damn flavorful and fresh, even today, that you'll learn a lot. Granted, you'd have to know what you're hearing and what you're doing...but you can a learn a lot by just listening and trying to play what you hear.

ii-V-vi-IV is one common chord progression...

this video is 36 songs using the above 4 chords..

knowing chords is one thing but the voicing of the chord is another...

but that is another thread...

In hiphop, chord progressions are very simple. Most songs aren't more than 2 chords (or one), and if they use more, than it's probably a very common chord progression.

song with good chord progression

please can some one share with me an advance chord progression that he knows

i - iv - v is very very very common

you mean something like Am-Dm-Em?????

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

ii-V-vi-IV is one common chord progression...

that's I-V-vi-IV, e.g. C-G-Am-F, what you have is Dm-G-Am-F, which whilst a good progression, is not the what the four chords song is about.....

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

please can some one share with me an advance chord progression that he knows

try these four

1. I-IV-vii[sup]b5[/sup]-iii-vi-ii-V-I; e.g C-F-Bm[sup]b5[/sup]-Em-Am-Dm-G-C
  2. i-iv-[sup]b[/sup]VII-[sup]b[/sup]III-[sup]b[/sup]VI-ii[sup]b5[/sup]-v-i; eg Am-Dm-G-C-F-Bm[sup]b5[/sup]-Em-Am
  3. i-iv-vii[sup]b5[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]III[sup]#5[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]VI-ii[sup]b5[/sup]-V-i; eg Am-Dm-G[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup]-C[sup](#5)[/sup]-F-Bm[sup]b5[/sup]-E-Am
  4. i-IV-vii[sup]b5[/sup]-[sup]b[/sup]III[sup]#5[/sup]-vi[sup]b5[/sup]-ii-V-i; eg Am-D-G[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup]-C[sup](#5)[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup]-Bm-E-Am

Add 7ths or other extensions to taste; the #5 (augmented chord) in the last two can be returned to a simple major chord, to make the sound more acceptable....

Last edited:
listen to beethoven and them old ass composers if you want more complex chord progressions.

Bandcoach pretty much killed it, but you can pretty much play the minor chords and come up with cool stuff.

Little off topic but if you are looking to learn piano logic is what has helped me the most by far because it tells you what chords you are playing at all times

Back