so if a rapper is getting $10,000 a show....?

R

rock g

how much does the producer get paid?? does the producer just get royalties off the song being played, probably about .10 cents?????? im confused somebody help

Last edited by a moderator:
the producer never gets paid directly of shows the artist does... but the revenue pays so govt agency or somethin and then they tell them wat songs were played i think.. etc and ur publisher collects from these agencies and thats part of ur pub check.. i think

but thats only like .10 cents a play so if the artist plays 10 shows , the producer gets a $1 and the artist gets $100,000??? that doesnt make sense

rock g said:
but thats only like .10 cents a play so if the artist plays 10 shows , the producer gets a $1 and the artist gets $100,000??? that doesnt make sense
na... the money they get is there performance money, that has nothin to do with the records royalties themselves... the arena, concert hall,, etc pays certain fees that publishers then take and give to there clients... some **** like that

ASCAP/BMI pays for when your songs are performed at shows, in clubs, on the radio, in sports venues, etc. That's called performance publishing.

Basically, don't count on getting any type of significant money from your song being performed by the artist...if ANY.

If you want to get show money, then become an artist and do shows. Be on the road 11 months out of the year doing shows.

Producers get paid off of record sales and radio/video play. That's the way it is. You as a producer can produce 80 songs per year. An artist can't release that many songs per year.

j.troup said:
ASCAP/BMI pays for when your songs are performed at shows, in clubs, on the radio, in sports venues, etc. That's called performance publishing.

Basically, don't count on getting any type of significant money from your song being performed by the artist...if ANY.

If you want to get show money, then become an artist and do shows. Be on the road 11 months out of the year doing shows.

Producers get paid off of record sales and radio/video play. That's the way it is. You as a producer can produce 80 songs per year. An artist can't release that many songs per year.[/quote] since record sales r down, the only real way to get $ as a producer is to get a radio single that gets many plays??? what about ringtones. dont producers get guap from ringtones?

Co sign w/ J Troup. On paper u r supposed to get show money but it rarely happens. U make ur money on the backend

rock g said:
since record sales r down, the only real way to get $ as a producer is to get a radio single that gets many plays??? what about ringtones. dont producers get guap from ringtones?

Ringtones are paid out on the same premise as digital track sales...

And actually, artists/producers get paid LESS off ringtones than digital song downloads.

You should really pick up Donald Passman's book, Everything You Need To Know About The Music Business.

It'll really answer all these questions you have, and more.

^^^^^ good article. I learned a lot in those 10 minutes. You should start a thread with that article in it. A lot of good info I think would help a lot of people.

Life is better as dual artist and producer. But then again if it came down to it I know that I would rather be just a producer. Plus when you produce records you can ask for what you want anyway.

Back