Self-taught vs School

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdrips

Sup guys,

I am a college student with a strong passion for hip hop music.. All my life I wanted to study music but my parents would not approve, and long story short I have decided to part ways with them and I am living independently right now with a part time job.

With nobody with music background around me, I wanted to ask you guys.. with so many free documents and articles on the web nowadays, is it necessary to pay for school to learn about music, in terms of music theory/technology/tips? Or can I still get what I need through internet?

just fyi.. I own a mpc1000 and fl studio 10(saving up for more equipments), I read and studied their manuals so I have basic knowledge of operating them but have little to no knowledge on things like music theory.

Thank you for your time.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Also I am looking to transfer to a 4 year college after my aa degree and earn a bs electrical engineering degree. I want to study audio engineering but is not offered ANYWHERE near where I live.. from what I read here and other forums EE is also a good degree for music, is that true? What I'm thinking is if anything, I can work as a hardware engineer at a company like akai, native instruments, etc.. Please tell me if I'm wrong..

absolutely not! in my opinion, but just having the input of someone experienced can be leaps ahead of trying to figure it out yourself.
(thinking an analogy of having a tour guide in a foreign country would fit here)

Maybe look to networking with folks with more experience, establish some kind of friendship (not just someone you
person 1: "hey man! can you listen to my new beat!?"
person 2: "pretty sweet man!"
person 1: "uhhh..thanks man!"

You might find someone online, or in your local music scene. Look to people who have what you want, and learn from them.

I for one had the input from a seasoned emcee, and it was almost an overnight breakthrough for me. (comparing to prior work btw)

Schools are more for establishing musical peers, and networking anyways from what i understand. Just refrain from using "i didn't go to music!" as an excuse to procrastinate.

Last edited:
Thx big won.. I'm always trying to expand my connects.. thx for the advice. I am actively reading and studying anything I can online. But in terms of midi, technology, music theory and things like that.. I can't find anything that goes further than the pure basics, not enough to any kind of mix. Some tutorials/manuals I downloaded all assume that I own equipments such as mixers, synthesizers, sound module and things like that so I couldn't get very far.. Where can I learn about things like that besides online?

I'm self-taught -- have been all my life. enrolled in the community college's Music Program in 2008 . . . shitted on 75% of the students and still can in all aspects of "musicianship".

I took my education into my own hands because education is truly what you make it -- so I didn't feel like I needed a big school like Berklee to validate my musicianship.

the beauty of learning on Youtube (after weeding the best/misinformed videos and such) is niche. Like you'll never get too deep into Blues-specific or Gospel practices at my campus -- but you can find a wealth of that on Youtube.

Umm, as far as people on the campus "making beats" they act like just because they (I can too) can read music Hip-Hop is suppose to be a walk in the park but it isn't. it's a feeling, and an understanding a lot of the people there don't understand. So their Hip-Hop sounds like idk . . . like it's missin' some shit.

If it's for networking or for some kind of Engineering or StageHands certification go for it, sure whynot but you can become a better musician by organizing your own plan, setting your own goals and being 100% honest with yourself. hell Bandcoach'll help you lol.

I will say, the next phase in my musicianship is going to be advanced ear-training . . . like to break shit down like what Bandcoach be doing and shit . . . maybe one day. cheers.

I feel like I'm gonna rain on everyone's parade here - but studying at a Music School is about more than just networking - if that were the case then why pay to do it, just show up at gigs, get invited to after-parties, etc, that's networking.

I have 6 post-high school qualifications as well several exam grades on instruments:
  • a full degrees in composition with minors in audio and video production
  • a full degree in software engineering
  • a post-grad degree in education (music and computing)
  • a post-grad degree in Business Computing
  • a trade certificate in Electronics
  • a permanent certification of competence as a teacher (issued after 12 months on the job assessment)

What all this has taught me is that going to a school of any sort is about several things:

• the acquisition and application of self-discipline
  • the acquisition and application of technique
  • the acquisition and application of knowledge
  • the acquisition and application of skills that can be applied to future, independent learning
  • the opportunity to make mistakes and learn something from them with guidance from those with more experience

Musicianship is a set of skills - it doesn't matter how you acquire it but you certainly have to work at it to reach any useful level and then work to maintain that level

Anyone can be self-taught in anything, heck most areas of study at some time in the past did not exist, so someone had to teach themselves and then begin to teach others.

But, and this is a big but, the reason you would go to a place that teaches you (and that you pay for) is to get a streamlined and focused course of instruction rather than the usual piecemeal (and sometimes unconnected) acquisitions of the self-taught.

In my experience as a student and teacher, the hardest people to teach are those who have taught themselves - not because they know it all but because they refuse to accept that they can be taught anything new.

I'd say get yourself that EE degree as it gives you a second set of skills and knowledge to make a living from - designing, implementing, maintaining and repairing equipment can pay the bills and music can be your creative outlet.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, if you have the option take the best of both worlds. [/THREAD]

Thank you for the advice guys.. I decided to get keep my plan and get aa in music and bs in EE.. or at least try to haha. Is anyone familiar with hip hop community in san diego?

It's an advantage that wasn't here a long time ago, but it's not the only option. Just work hard. Think about it, back in the 70's and 80's I don't think they had that many music schools that you could graduate from and get noticed by record labels through the program, etc etc. It was mostly all just word of mouth back in the day. Now with technology where it is today, the possibilities are endless.

Going to school for music can be a bunch of crock. If you have the will and the discipline to study music, you can make music. The key word being STUDY. Im a dj and I know one day i will produce high quality instrumentals. In the the memory of BIG L...IT'S All ABOUT TIMING!!! Find that light that makers you embrace sound and control it.

If you going to school to better yourself for hip hop.....IMO......bad move. Being young, go to school for something that will get you some comfortable money. You might get tired of music and then you left with what? Music might be something to you that you out grow. People asking you 10 years later if you still make beats and you telling them you sold everything 6 years ago now you're back in school for such and such. Not saying music school is not the way to go, just saying make life easier on yourself while you young and don't wait til you 37 to want to live life after chasing your "dreams". You can do "both" while you young. Then you'll be 37 and comfortable even if a music career is not taking off for you. Just my 2 cent. 37 is 3 years away from 40. 40 is officially old........ and saying shit like "you are as young as you feel"........naw you old. lol! Richest men under 40 is done with, son! Sheeed I'll be 50 still up to date on the PS7....but I'm old.

Last edited:
school connects you with people. Connect with students and teachers; nobody will give you a production job just because you graduated from Full Sail.

You don't need any school to do Hip Hop music. All you need is some talent and Youtube to teach you different techniques. If you want to do anything outside of Hip Hop... you're probably going to have to learn theory. I also believe that if you're going to do more than Hip Hop and learn theory, you probably can contribute more to other peoples projects (more that just drums). Just my thoughts.

It seems those courses like the ones Berkelee offer teach you your way around different DAWS... I can teach that entire Ableton LIVE course and I haven't read the manual.

... in a nutshell, it'll take you longer if you go at it on your own and if you do go at it on your own... you're going to be finding lots of different ways to do the same things. I would say school is the fast track... but not necessary (in the long run). There are tons of theory books, DVD's, video courses etc... you can learn from those but there would be no one to ask really except in forums.

Remember that Hip Hop wasn't built on theory or instruments and technology has kind of JUMPED OVER theory with vst's that let you play any key and force the key you play to scale. Programs like Harmony Navigator let you click in progressions that probably sound better than what any teacher could create and render them to midi files.

PLUS! Traditional music theory has been replaced by arps, gates, phazers, delays... etc. Think about the Alligator in Reason 6... you can load one instance of Alligator... add some drums and have a 65% complete song...

There are NEW INSTRUMENTS in the bandbox... and you don't have to physically touch them... just turn virtual knobs on 'em. Sounds bad to know that the trumpet will be in the Smithsonian and some VST called the CRUNKET or something has replaced it.

... I'll take on any theory dude beat for beat at Hip Hop... and stand a fair chance of outshining them.

^^^^ waste of a read if you don't plan on doing Hip Hop. It's the easiest music to make, that's why so many people make it.

... still the most "moving" music to most though. You don't hear rock in aerobic classes, infomercials, sound bites for tv shows... normally you hear Hip Hop spin offs.

Last edited:
I'll point out that some people need the motivation of paying for something to get it done. Dude might buy a treadmill, put it in the garage and never use it, but if he has a gym membership he might think twice about heading to the gym.

I agree you probably don't need schooling specifically for hip-hop, but it would be useful for broadening your musical horizons. I've been playing guitar teaching myself, but I'd like to get some hands on lessons soon to help me progress a little faster.

There will be an entire band on stage each of them will have an itouch as their instrument... and itouch's only.

... theory will be programmed into the itouch... it will be impossible for them to mess up. The lead singer will have autotune for IOS 5 and an Irig Mic... he won't be able to sing for ish ... but he'll sound like he can.

http://www.wowwee.com/en/products/toys/entertainment/paper-jamz/drums/drums-series-2

^^^ sound like the real thing too...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10345538-1.html

time to rethink some of that "traditional" stuff...

Who would like their fortune told? put your hand on your screen and Paypal me $10.

Last edited:
All I want for Christmas is an ipad.

Sheeeed.........$20 + Ipad equals the price of a software DAW on a computer.

Last edited:

go to school to PR manager,music business coach/consultant,graphic designer,event planner,etc...

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I have three classes left......mostly finiance classes
associatate in business management and credit management
then a one year fast track @ local univ. for bach. degree

Course Descriptions
Credit Management - 25.5** (BMCMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back