Samples

phlostonrecords

What do you guys do for samples? And I don't me like actual 70's songs flipping type samples. I mean basic sounds.

Kicks and snares. But more importantly like percussion sounds, and random fx, transition sounds, world sounds, etc..

Like where would you say Kanye or Pharrell for their drum sounds and samples.

Chop them out of actual songs. FL Studio, Adobe Audition, Soundforge, Wavosaur or Audacity does the trick. I listen to A LOT of music and when a drum break comes up that I think I can use I'll load it up into a wave editor and take what I want. You can also find a lot of FREE kits on the net. Soundfonts are available of various percussion sounds too (Tablas, Temple Blocks etc.), also free. There was one site that had some nice ethnic smaples on there, when I remember it I'll post a link. Battery 3 has been going real cheap so you could probably find that at a discount, you won't need anything else for drums if you buy that. The sounds that come with it are top notch (Drum kits, Percussions, Ethnic, etc.).

EDIT: Here you go http://www.atomsplitteraudio.com/samples.php

Last edited by a moderator:
There's ton of free sounds online (alot on this site even). Just gotta search & sift through them.

Last edited by a moderator:
i chop my kicks snares hats and claps from vinyl. i cheat on my percussion sounds actually and use the ones in my korg trinity rack a lot. but id say a good 90% of my sounds come from vinyl.

post-1-1232066807.jpg

everything is a sample wether it was recorded in a pro studio and loaded into a synthesizer or it came from a actual record. theres no rules in sampling.. i found some real ethnic sounds in a arab cd that came out last month.. overseas they still use instruments that you will never be able to find in the states.. same thing with african, latin jazz and even asian soul.. theres always things you can take that are clean or just need a little cleaning that will seperate you from the rest of the 808 simple minded producers.. than off course you gotta process these sounds.. layer them. tweak em. change the pitch.. add effects etc etc.... downloading drums online and layering them together to make new ones is also a way but thats for newbies.. find your own sounds.. make your own kits..

everything is a sample wether it was recorded in a pro studio and loaded into a synthesizer or it came from a actual record. theres no rules in sampling.. i found some real ethnic sounds in a arab cd that came out last month.. overseas they still use instruments that you will never be able to find in the states.. same thing with african, latin jazz and even asian soul.. theres always things you can take that are clean or just need a little cleaning that will seperate you from the rest of the 808 simple minded producers.. than off course you gotta process these sounds.. layer them. tweak em. change the pitch.. add effects etc etc.... downloading drums online and layering them together to make new ones is also a way but thats for newbies.. find your own sounds.. make your own kits..

Where do you find music to get samples from. I'm really interested in finding obscure recording to get drums and stabs and effects samples from. I'm pretty good at chopping in Audacity and then making kits in battery. But I just can't find anywhere to download the music. Where do you go to find really interesting stuff?

downloading drums online and layering them together to make new ones is also a way but thats for newbies.. find your own sounds.. make your own kits..
amen to that. more producers need to get their fingers dirty even if they aren't "sample based" producers. theres no reason why people shouldn't own a turntable and a few records for drum samples atleast that is if they are a serious producer.

downloading drums online and layering them together to make new ones is also a way but thats for newbies.. find your own sounds.. make your own kits..

lol you really believe that huh. I feel you but even if you're chopping sounds off vinyl (which i do from time to time) it's still not "your" sounds. It's all in the layering, EQing, reverb, delay, compression etc.

Processing>The Source

That is of course unless you're starting out w/ super weak sounds to begin w/. Ultimately it doesn't matter though whatever gets you the sound you're going for.

lol you really believe that huh. I feel you but even if you're chopping sounds off vinyl (which i do from time to time) it's still not "your" sounds. It's all in the layering, EQing, reverb, delay, compression etc.

Processing>The Source

That is of course unless you're starting out w/ super weak sounds to begin w/. Ultimately it doesn't matter though whatever gets you the sound you're going for.

yeah thats true but unless you made a instrument (which can be done) than nothing is really yours..

at the same time nobody else in the game would have these sounds so they are YOUR sounds regardless of where they came from the end result is always gonna be different than the first..

i think sharing is a good thing but you should always have a secret weapon kit in the stash... same thing with synths .. you could combine a piano, lead strings horns vintage sounds all to one . mess with the attack, poly etc and give birth to a whole new sound.. add some reverb and have a completely different sound than producers who only use the detune lead on the triton..

REASON makes sound manipulation so easy.. i have a friend from india who was always tellin me about his grandfather making instruments.. one day i got him to come thru the stu with one of them and we made it into a synth..

i recorded him playing every single note than i chopped it up and loaded it into the NXT.. saved it and from that one instrument ive made a whole bunch more by combining..

im waiting on him to come thru with the rest of his grandfather's home made instruments.. thats pretty much how all sounds are made.. even real live wind from a windy day can be sampled and thrown into your sounds..

the possibilities are endless.. you just gotta have nothin else better to do with you life... lol

Where do you find music to get samples from. I'm really interested in finding obscure recording to get drums and stabs and effects samples from. I'm pretty good at chopping in Audacity and then making kits in battery. But I just can't find anywhere to download the music. Where do you go to find really interesting stuff?

i dont think theres nothing wrong with e-digging.. but you should also hit the record store.. the dollar bin etc.. some producers actually take they're sample from vynil and convert into a low bit rate mp3 to get that gritty sound.. but if you're looking for real clean samples i would stay away from mp3s... i got these crazy drums from this arab shorty i know.. use all your resources.. you're not gonna find anything crazy and rare on ********.. but your next door neighbor might be from a third world country just sitting on gems and not really knowing how much they're worth..

I used to sample, before I understood publishing. Now it is easier to record the sound myself, or find it on a sample libary (royalty free).

amen to that. more producers need to get their fingers dirty even if they aren't "sample based" producers. theres no reason why people shouldn't own a turntable and a few records for drum samples atleast that is if they are a serious producer.

Actually friend, you are quite wrong. serious producers use a mic when they are 'sampling' drums, not a turntable. I seen producers spend stacks just record one drum.

Actually friend, you are quite wrong. serious producers use a mic when they are 'sampling' drums, not a turntable. I seen producers spend stacks just record one drum.
i dont see anything wrong with micing drums honestly the thought never crossed my mind. but if thats the case then a lot of producers aren't serious. i dont think a lot of classic hip hop producers were micing drum kits. Some were but not all. My point is I cant take this internet kit d/l cats seriously.

What do you guys do for samples? And I don't me like actual 70's songs flipping type samples. I mean basic sounds.

Kicks and snares. But more importantly like percussion sounds, and random fx, transition sounds, world sounds, etc..

Like where would you say Kanye or Pharrell for their drum sounds and samples.

I make all mine custom. You can check out some of my work on www.JTroupTV.com

Last edited:
why is it a must for someone to sample. i rarely EVER do it and its been working just great for me. you can only get a specific kind of emotion and sound from sampled drums, really. and that might not be the vibe that this dude wants to go for. understand that. so you sampleheads can get your fingers dusty and stay underground/indie while others stay ahead of the wheel (or ride along with it).

Brushes shoulder. Straightens collar. Goodnight, good day, your welcome.

Back