RIP Luther Vandross???

j.troup

RIP Luther Vandross

edit...

Grammy award winner Luther Vandross, whose deep, lush voice on hits like "Here and Now" and "Any Love" sold more than 25 million albums while providing the romantic backdrop for millions of couples worldwide, died Friday. He was 54.

Vandross died at 1:47 p.m. at the John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, N.J., said hospital spokesman Rob Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh did not release the cause of death.

Since suffering a stroke in his Manhattan home on April 16, 2003, the R&B crooner stopped making public appearances — but amazingly managed to continue his recording career. In 2004, he captured four Grammys as a sentimental favorite, including best song for the bittersweet “Dance With My Father.”

Vandross, who was still in a wheelchair at the time, delivered a videotaped thank you.

"Remember, when I say goodbye it's never for long," said a weak-looking Vandross. "Because" -- he broke into his familiar hit -- "I believe in the power of love."

Vandross, in addition to his stroke, battled weight problems for years while suffering from diabetes and hypertension.

from MSN.com

RIP "Loothah"

:(

Last edited:
The Insider" has confirmed that R&B legend LUTHER VANDROSS passed away Friday at the age of 54. Sources tell "The Insider" that Vandross' death was unexpected, and that a memorial service is planned in New York sometime next week. The singer sold over 25 million records during a long and successful career that began in the 1970s. In 1981, he released his debut album, Never Too Much, and went on to become one of the most popular musicians of the 1980s, cranking out lasting hits like "Here and Now" and "The Best Things in Life Are Free." Vandross hit the top of the charts again in the '90s with a duet with MARIAH CAREY of "Endless Love." His soulful pop crooning went on to inspire artists like USHER and ALICIA KEYS, as well as "American Idol" and record labelmate RUBEN STUDDARD. Sources also report that a tribute album for Vandross is in the works. In April 2003, Vandross suffered a stroke due in part to his struggle with diabetes; he then spent close to a month in a coma, and battled meningitis and pneumonia after the attack.

BJv said:
I cant find anything on it

i couldnt either but yea its true.
its all on the mainstream news now,

r.i.p.

today is also the anniversary of my mothers passing..............miss you u so so much

Last edited:
Luther Vandross dead at 54

Friday, July 1, 2005; Posted: 6:51 p.m. EDT (22:51 GMT)

Luther Vandross died Friday, two years after a debilitating stroke.

Legendary R&B artist Luther Vandross died Friday, CNN has confirmed. He was 54 years old.

The popular crooner suffered a debilitating stroke in April 2003. Even so, his album "Dance With My Father," co-written with Richard Marx, sold nearly a million copies in its first month of release that June. And the album won him four Grammy Awards, half his lifetime total, including song of the year.

Vandross' songs and emotionally charged ballads carry a signature soulful, silky sound.

It was after a chance meeting with David Bowie at a recording studio that Vandross was asked to sing backup on Bowie's hit 1975 album, "Young Americans."

Later, Vandross would serve as Bowie's opening act

Vandross also sang backup for Bette Midler and Barbra Streisand, while lending his voice to commercial jingles.

When record companies rejected him, Vandross used his own money to produce his 1981 debut album, "Never Too Much."

It went on to top the R&B charts and sold 2 million copies.

Other hit singles followed, like "Any Love" and "Here and Now."

Vandross struggled with health and image problems, claiming that he lost 100 pounds -- 13 times. He suffered from diabetes and hypertension but refused to slow down until his stroke two years ago

A legend and inspiration. Glad i have lots of memories of him to take with me, growing up in the era his music shined.

R.I.P big LV

Timeless music...

There's a man that took his career seriously. He kicked En Vogue off of his tour for not looking good enough. Lutha said they looked thrown together when they were ready to hit the stage and told 'em to bounce.

RIP Lutha...

biggrome said:
Timeless music...

There's a man that took his career seriously. He kicked En Vogue off of his tour for not looking good enough. Lutha said they looked thrown together when they were ready to hit the stage and told 'em to bounce.

RIP Lutha...

not to hijack the tread or take from the seriousness of it but, what is your source for envogue being kicked off his tour? i ask becuase this is my first hearing of this revelation.

Last edited:
Back