reasons to go or not go into movie scoring ?

DjPolair

it seems like a lucrative business
i attempted to make something movie like yesterday, here's the result

would you do it if you had the chance, why or why not ?

Last edited:
I've done some scoring work.

It's ALOT of indie scoring work out there. There are as many aspiring film makers as there are producers. They all need scoring for their works, whether they be short films, web drama series, or full length films.

It was fun, but it was alot of work. There is no just "make whatever i feel like making, and if they like it then they'll use it". Your music has to fit the directors vision EXACTLY. So you could end up doing a few draft pieces before you get something that they'll like.

Then you have to make like 20 variations of that piece, to fit the different scene's in the movie. And then syncing the piece up to the movie scene, which isn't exactly timed by BARS...so you have to break your piece up and re-arrange it to make it sync up with what's going on on the screen, but still have it retain it's musical integrity.

It was fun creating the music, but it was pretty frustrating going back and forth with the director with the music.

here's one of the indie things i did last year...

Unlike the music biz, filmmaker's are trying to move up the ladder(those checks are REAL..not "advances"). I don't care what none of them say, if Tarantino or Lucas wanted to give an indie cat a shot, they would drop everything and go for it. With that being said...use it as leverage.

The whole thing is good but listen to Sam Raimi! 00:17

but that's for indie movies
That will be your initial source of income should you decide to pursue a career as a composer. Hanz Zimmer and John Williams started at the bottom...so will you! Prod Co's and studio's don't listen to demo's, they watch film reels.

Last edited:
but that's for indie movies

Where do you think major theater releases come from? Indie movies.

What, you think you're gonna go right into scoring George Lucas' next film?

You have to start on the underground. You have to learn what you're doing. And you HAVE to practice.

Because honestly, with your 2 note, out of key "scoring" that you did, you're not even gonna get any work on the indie scene at this point.

You have to start out independent. There's no way around it. Especially with the amount of competition there is out here.

*******EDIT***************

This might change your perspective on Movie Scoring. This is Trent Reznor's Oscar Winning movie score from this year's The Social Network.

This is Daft Punk, who did the Tron Legacy Movie Score

Last edited:

It's a great line of work if you're a versatile composer (most of the music isn't hiphop). I've been lucky enough to land work with Lionsgate. As troup said it's not the same as working with artist. Material is constantly changing and sometimes it will require you to change the music up just depends on what's being changed but it's great. I will never go back to working with artist

It's a great line of work if you're a versatile composer (most of the music isn't hiphop). I've been lucky enough to land work with Lionsgate. As troup said it's not the same as working with artist. Material is constantly changing and sometimes it will require you to change the music up just depends on what's being changed but it's great. I will never go back to working with artist

Any of your work come out yet? I'd love to hear it...

Care to share with FP how the Lionsgate opportunity came about?

yeah dude, share some of your advice, you obviously have something to share lol

This is Daft Punk, who did the Tron Legacy Movie Score

that whole score is gold, they know an awful lot about sound selection.if any one wants to know how to create a mix they are the starting point imo.

i would say the main reason to go into scoring is because you really really want to, because if you work out how much time and effort you will have to put in to get good enough to make a passable score and then how much time and effort you will have to put into making that passable score then it's not as lucrative as it seems.not 8-16 bar loops but synched through composing...

OP

I dug your song, I could see it in a scary film or a creepy movie. Good work, go for the movie scoring if that's what you wanna do.

You cats got skills. Troup you the man! Dj Polair keep doin it, but it sounds like some time consuming shit!

Last edited:
To the OP, if film scoring is what you want to do, then do it. I couldn't get into it..especially the part where you have to fit the music to the scene. Then you have the make the music the way the director wants it.

Composing music for video games is much more laid back. Most of the time the game developer just needs something playing in the background with a certain mood or feel

If you have the ability to go into movie scoring.. Do it .. Why not? .. Alot of the times though the beats you make can already wind up in an mtv/vh1 show though..

I could push the envelope as far as my imagination goes, but I could never have the time for it. I would need to drop beats and everything else and fully focus on that for a long time. Critics have very picky ears in that business, like a top notch thing. Your strings are to wet, the brass is to thin, the calm and buildup come to early. Its more about capturing the feeling and mood in the setting. If I'd do any kind of scoring it would be for a video game. Video games allow you to be more open with your creativity its more like no rules lol.

Back